This teriyaki chicken recipe is tender, flavorful, and baked to perfection. Pair it with steamed veggies and rice for an out-of-this-world meal.
Think teriyaki chicken is a take-out-only indulgence? Think again. You can get deliciously moist and flavorful teriyaki chicken right at home – without all the mystery ingredients.
This recipe has got it all. It’s a little salty, a bit sweet, and perfectly spiced with garlic, ginger, and black pepper. There’s nothing boring about this dish.
Tips and Tricks for Perfect Baked Teriyaki Chicken
Use chicken breast. I know many recipes prefer to use chicken thighs for their flavor. But this dish is jam-packed with flavor and using chicken breast will work just fine. Overall, chicken breast is just easier to use.
Flatten your chicken. This will not only help reduce the baking time, but it will ensure that the flavors seep in, all the way through.
Don’t bake and forget. Let me elaborate. This is not one of those dishes you pop into the oven, put a timer out, and you’re done. There’s a few extra steps here but they’re certainly worth it. First, you’ll want to take out your baking sheet halfway to flip your chicken. You’ll also want to brush the chicken with the sauce every 5-10 minutes. This helps create a beautiful finish, add more flavor, and keep the chicken moist. Otherwise, you could be left with dry chicken. Nobody likes dry chicken. Trust me.
If you’re adding sesame seeds, toast them first. Sesame seeds add a great touch. Toasting them takes it all to the next level.
This recipe is oh so easy; you would never have guessed how quickly it comes together. It’s the perfect weeknight meal the entire family can enjoy! Chow down, my friends!
Here’s what you’ll need to make this simple dish:
- chicken breasts
- sesame seeds
- cold water
- soy sauce
- apple cider vinegar
- black pepper
Simply Baked Teriyaki Chicken Breast with Rice and Steamed Veggies
- cutting board
- Baking dish
- Cooking brush
- 4 medium chicken breasts, sliced in half
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp cold water
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 425F.
- In a small saucepan, combine together 1 Tablespoon of cornstarch, 1 Tablespoon cold water, 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, 1-2 minced garlic cloves, 1 Teaspoon of ground ginger, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
- Whisk until all of the ingredients are well blended. Cook on low heat, stirring often, until the sauce bubbles and thickens.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Wash and dry the chicken breasts. If they are large, cut in half.
- Place pieces of chicken between plastic wrap and flatten each piece by using a flat side of a meat tenderizer.
- Place the chicken breasts on a greased baking dish. Brush chicken with the sauce, then turn over and brush the other side.
- Bake at 425F for 15-20 minutes, and then take the dish out, flip the chicken over and bake for another 15-20 minutes. Brush with sauce every 5-10 minutes while baking. This will create a beautiful glaze on the top of the chicken.
- Before serving, slice each chicken breast and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
- Enjoy this simple Teriyaki Chicken dish with white rice and steamed vegetables of your choice!