What is Cream of Mushroom Soup Made of?
You are probably familiar with the canned cream of mushroom, that is made up from cream and mushrooms (or mushroom broth). The the mushroom soup I made make is made with much more flavor and added vegetables.
Can I blend this Mushroom Soup?
Can I make Cream of Mushroom Soup Dairy Free?
Yes, you can use coconut cream instead of the heavy cream.
Ingredients for Cream of Mushroom Soup with Vegetables
To make all in one pot mushroom soup with vegetables you will need basic soup ingredients.
Vegetables: Sliced mushrooms, cubed potatoes, carrots, and diced onion.
Liquid: Unsalted butter, Vegetable broth (you can also use meat broth) and heavy cream.
Herbs: Minced garlic cloves, fresh rosemary, fresh thyme springs and fresh chopped parsley leaves.
Spices: You will need mushroom powder, which could be found in most groceries stores, you can also use Unami seasoning. In addition, you will also need salt and pepper for more flavor.
Thickening: Unbleached all-purpose flour.
How to make Chunky Cream of Mushroom Soup
Chunky Cream of Mushroom Soup with Vegetables All in One Pot
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 3 springs thyme, fresh
- 1 spring rosemary, fresh
- 1 Tbsp mushroom powder
- 2 cups potatoes, cubed
- 1 liter chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp flour
- parsley, fresh, chopped
- In a large pot melt 2 tbsp of butter and saute onions, and carrots for 5 min, until onion becomes translucent and golden.
- Add minced garlic, mushrooms and rosemary with thyme. Cook for 5 more minutes
- Add salt, pepper and mushroom powder, mix well.
- Add potatoes and chicken broth, bring to simmer and cook for about 10 min until potatoes are soft.
- Mix heavy cream with the flour and add to the soup, bring to boil again, stirring to make sure there are no clumps.