Our quick, easy, and delicious ukha recipe that can be made from scratch in 6 steps. See our step-by-step breakdown today.
How often do you consume protein in the form of fish? There are so many fish recipes that can be made, but this easy soup is a change from the usual chowder that’s served at restaurants. Delicious ukha soup is light and can be made in 6 easy steps!
Soup is the ultimate form of comfort food. It’s easy on your digestive system and is one of the best ways to intake your nutrients. Ukha is a very versatile soup, since so many different Slavic cultures make it, and all have their own way of making it. Commonly, it’s made from fresh-caught fish.
Along with fish, you will need potatoes (for the fiber), carrots (beta-carotene), tomatoes (lycopene), and onions (antioxidants) for this soup. These ingredients are usually on hand at home, and otherwise are very beneficial to your body.
What do I need to make the fish bullion?
- Pieces of fish (any fish you like, and any part of fish, head, tail just chunks that you would throw away afterwards).
Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the ingredients:
- black pepper
- fresh dill
- fresh parsley
- bay leaf
- fresh fish
Looking for seafood recipes? Here are some of the tastiest dishes you can make right at home:
Super easy to prepare, this Chili Garlic Shrimp Stir Fry with Soy Sauce is great on a weeknight.
These Fish Tacos with an Easy Spicy Dipping Sauce are a family favorite. My kids love to assemble and devour them!
Simple Homemade Fish Soup with Veggies (Ukha)
- 5 potatoes, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled & sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1½ lb fish pieces, boneless, skinless, & cubed
- 1 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 8 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped largely
- ½ Tbsp salt
- 1 lb fish
- Make the fish bouillon by adding the ingredients in a pot and boil for 30 minutes.
- After your bouillon is ready, strain it into a clean pot (you will be using just the water).
- Add the potatoes and carrots. Boil until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Keeping the heat on medium/low, add fresh fish pieces, bay leaf, and bell pepper and tomatoes. Cook for another 7-10 minutes.
- Add pepper to taste and chopped fresh dill and parsley.
- Turn heat off. Ready to serve!