You have to check out this gluten-free Healthy Caramel Smoothie! This is not your typical, casual sugar drink. Loaded with healthy ingredients that will help keep your appetite at bay. Perfect for a sweet on-the-go healthy breakfast, late-afternoon snack, or post-workout snack.
Most caramel smoothies are loaded with sugar and dairy. If you look at the ingredients in a Starbucks Caramel Frappuccino, it’s made up of buttery caramel, coffee, and dairy (and more).
This refreshing and delicious smoothie is one of my favorite recipes because it’s filled with caramel flavor, healthy and yet naturally sweetened with dates for that sweet tooth craving.
The Banana and Date Caramel Smoothie is thick, creamy, quick, and easy to make. It’s topped with homemade salted caramel sauce that takes the flavor to another level.
Why you’ll love the Salted Caramel Smoothie
- Filling: It’s a great way to stay satisfied for longer as it’s packed with proteins.
- It’s a healthy smoothie: The smoothie is refined sugar-free, dairy-free, and gluten-free.
- Nutritious ingredients: If you’re looking for a smoothie that is just as sweet with no added sugar, but so much healthier for you, this is perfect. It’s a natural energy drink.
- It’s customizable: You can play around with it and add different flavors to the smoothie ingredients.
- Simple ingredients: The smoothie ingredients can easily be found at the grocery stores making this a budget-friendly recipe.
Key Ingredients to make the Banana caramel smoothie
- Banana: For best results use a frozen banana to make the smoothie thick and creamy. It also adds some sweetness.
- Almond butter: Adds a delicious creamy texture, slight thickness, depth, and nuttiness to the smoothie.
- Dates: Used as a natural sweetener in this delicious smoothie.
- Pink salt: Turn this into a salted caramel smoothie and help bring out the sweetness of the dates.
- Milk: Use non-dairy milk like soy milk or almond milk. Oat milk or coconut milk are also great options.
- Vanilla extract: Adds a subtle vanilla flavor.
For the caramel sauce
- Coconut sugar: A natural, plant-based sweetener that is healthier than refined sugar. It also gives this sauce its brown color.
- Coconut milk: Use the full-fat version one from a can.
- Butter: Adds flavor and makes the caramel sauce richer and thicker.
- Salt: A pinch of salt
For the Toppings
- Whipped cream: Adds a velvety texture and richness which makes this a decadent and delicious treat.
- Caramel: Adds a sweet and buttery flavor and a creamy texture to the topping.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
How to Make The Caramel Smoothie Recipe
Step 1: Place ingredients in a blender
- Add all smoothie ingredients to a blender and process until smooth and creamy.
Step 2: Prepare the Homemade Caramel Sauce
- Place coconut sugar and coconut milk in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer, and cook for 1 min, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and add salt and butter.
Step 3: Add toppings and serve
- Add smoothie to tall glasses. Add the whipping cream and drizzle with the caramel sauce. Serve and enjoy this refreshing drink!
How to store leftover
- Enjoy the smoothie immediately but if you have leftovers, place them in mason jars, or airtight containers and store them for a couple of days in the fridge. When it’s time to serve again, give it a good shake to make sure all smoothie ingredients are incorporated again and the smoothie has that creamy consistency.
- To freeze, place the smoothie in a thick freezer bag or freezer-friendly smoothie jar, remove as much air as possible then seal it up securely for a few weeks.
- If your smoothie is too thick, add more milk. If it’s too thin, add more frozen bananas.
- Use Medjool dates if you can because they have a caramel-like flavor and texture which adds a delicious taste to this smoothie.
- Soak your dates in very hot water for 10 minutes if they’re dry.
- You can adjust and taste the sweetness by adding more dates or bananas.
- Use a high-speed blender for the smoothie to turn out creamy and smooth.
- You can use powdered peanut butter instead of almost butter.
No, you don’t need to add ice cubes because it makes the smoothie watery. The frozen banana is enough to make the smoothie creamy and thick.
For new flavors and textures add your favorite seeds like hemp seeds which turn this into a caramel smoothie bowl for breakfast. Turn this into a salted caramel protein shake by adding a scoop of protein powder. The extra protein will make you feel a bit fuller, too.
Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream or caramel ice cream to turn this into a milkshake. You can add a shot of espresso especially if you’re making this smoothie for breakfast. Ground flax seeds will add extra fiber and a lot of health benefits! It will also help make the smoothie thicker. Add rolled oats to make delicious caramel cookie dough smoothies.
Check out these other smoothie recipes
- The Creamy Coconut Blueberry Smoothie with a hint of vanilla and lemon zest is all you need to make a tropical berry smoothie.
- This Easy and Creamy Golden Lemon Smoothie with Turmeric is a great energy boost and the turmeric gives you a big health punch.
- The Easy Pomegranate Smoothie is creamy tasty and refreshing.
Other Must-Try Tasty Drinks
If you tried this A Healthy Caramel Smoothie Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you enjoyed it in the📝 comments below. I love hearing from you!
A Healthy Caramel Smoothie Recipe
- 1 banana, frozen, sliced
- 1 Tbsp almond butter
- 3 dates, soft, pitted
- ⅛ tsp pink salt, or sea salt
- 1 cup milk, plant-based, but almond milk is a great option too
- ⅓ tsp vanilla extract
For the caramel sauce: (amount shown serves 6)
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar, 75g
- ½ cup coconut milk, full-fat, from a can
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 pinch salt
For the Top:
- whipped cream
- 2 Tbsp caramel
For the smoothie, place all ingredients in a blender.1 banana,, 1 Tbsp almond butter, 3 dates,, ⅛ tsp pink salt,, 1 cup milk,, ⅓ tsp vanilla extract
Process until smooth.
For the caramel, place coconut sugar and coconut milk in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer, and cook for 1 min, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and add salt and butter.⅓ cup coconut sugar,, ½ cup coconut milk,, 1 Tbsp butter, 1 pinch salt
Add the whipping cream to the smoothie and drizzle the caramel sauce.whipped cream, 2 Tbsp caramel
- Make sure not to substitute ingredients. This caramel smoothie is best the way it is.