If you’re a lemon dessert lover like I am, meet this Lemon Yogurt Layer Cake with Lemon Buttercream! It’s moist, sweet, creamy, and loaded with fresh lemon zest. And if the cake layers aren’t filled enough of that fresh lemon-y taste, this cake is layered with a buttercream that spikes more lemon flavor. Besides the flavor and texture, this cake is loved for its easy recipe and simple ingredients.
Lemon treats are most definitely underrated. Who can resist the tart and sweet taste of lemon, all creamy in a delicious cake loaded with fresh lemon zest? I sure can’t, and when you make this recipe, you won’t be able to either. That’s why I like to share all of my favorite recipes with you guys! I can’t just keep lemon cakes away from you.
Other fruity cakes do not hold even a spark up to this lemon cake, let alone a candle. This cake yells “summer!” in your mouth. It’s perfectly moist and sweet without being soggy or overly sugary. If you’re missing summer in the winter, this cake is a great reminder and throwback. It’s perfect to make any time of year.
Table of Contents
What do I need to make the cake?
- lemon zest
- unsalted butter
- Greek yogurt
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
What do I need to make the lemon cream?
- powdered sugar
- unsalted butter
- lemon juice
- lemon zest
Check out some more amazing cakes you can create:
This Moist and Easy Apple Cake with Sunflower Seeds is perfect for beginner bakers.
You can make a Mandarin Orange Mousse Cake with Citrus and Chocolate Ganache for special occasions. There won’t be leftovers!
Lemon Yogurt Layer Cake with Easy Lemon Buttercream
- hand mixer
- Cake spatula
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest, grated
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 lemon, juiced
- lemon zest, grated, optional topping
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly oil cake form.
- With an electrical mixer beat 1/2 cup softened butter, 1 Tablespoon of lemon zest and 1 cup of sugar.1 Tbsp lemon zest,, ½ cup unsalted butter,, 1 cup sugar
- Add in 3 Large eggs beat for 1 minute, and 1 cup Greek yogurt. Beat until smooth and pale.3 large eggs, 1 cup Greek yogurt
- Turn mixer to the lowest speed.
- Sift dry ingredients together: 2 cups flour, 2 teaspoon baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add to the mixing bowl.2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 tsp baking powder, ¼ tsp salt
- Incorporate all together.
- Transfer into prepared cake form.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cooldown completely.
- Slice cake in half.
- Lemon cream: Melt 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter in a pan or microwave.3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- Mix together 2 cups of powdered sugar, 3 Tbsp unsalted melted butter, and juice from 1 lemon.2 cups powdered sugar, 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, 1 lemon,
- Spread on bottom slice of cake, place the top half on top.
- Spread the rest of the cream all over the cake.
- Decorate with lemon zest (optional) .lemon zest,