The bold and beautiful Zebra Cake with Easy Cream (just two ingredients) is a showstopper and crowd-pleaser. The melt-in-your-mouth cake is perfect for a birthday celebration or special event.
When coming up with dessert, cakes are some of my favorite options. There are so many different recipes out there, so sometimes it’s hard to find the right one.
That’s when this fun Zebra Cake recipe comes in handy! The best part about this cake it’s a fun and towering cake that brings back those Little Debbie Zebra Cake memories with every bite.
Table of Contents
Why is this cake literally the best cake recipe ever?
- It’s more colorful than other baked cakes: This zebra cake wasn’t meant to be animal-themed, but when you plan for alternating layers of chocolate and vanilla cake recipe, a fun name is definitely a must.
- It’s a big family favorite: Just as it’s quick to make, it’s quick to disappear.
- It’s an easy recipe: The simple cream in this cake is made of just two ingredients!
- Perfect for a special event: Homemade zebra cakes are gorgeous dual-flavored layer cakes that are perfect for any birthday or celebration.
- Relive Little Debbie cake: The moist and tender cake is a grown-up version of a childhood favorite.
Key Ingredients to Make the Zebra Cake
- Sweetened condensed milk: Adds creaminess and a sweet, milky flavor to the beautiful Zebra cake.
- Sour cream: Adds a little extra moisture and makes the cake tender.
- White flour: Provides the structure of the cake.
- Eggs: The eggs should be at room temperature to ensure they are incorporated into the cake batter.
- Baking soda: Gives the cake a lift and helps to make the cake soft, light and airy
- Cocoa powder: Use special dark cocoa for the black color but if you can’t find it natural cocoa powder will work instead.
Key Ingredients for the cream:
- Sweetened condensed milk: Sweetens and thickens the cream so that it spreads effortlessly on the Zebra cake.
- Butter: Use softened butter at room temperature which makes a perfect cream without any lumps.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
How to Make The Zebra Cake Recipe
Step 1: Make the vanilla cake batter
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer or an electric mixer, combine the wet ingredients: condensed milk, sour cream, and eggs until the batter is evenly mixed.
2: Add the dry ingredients
- Add flour and baking soda and mix again. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and up the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.
3: Transfer the batter to a baking pan
- Pour half of the batter into an 8″ baking pan greased with cooking spray.
4: Make the chocolate batter
- To the second half of the batter, add cocoa powder and mix well to make the chocolate cake batter. Pour into an 8″ greased cake pan.
5: Bake cakes
- Bake both the layers of batter for 20 minutes at 400°F. (or until a toothpick comes out clean)
6: Cool then cut the cake
- Let the cake layers cool completely on a wire rack or cooling rack, then cut each one horizontally into two.
7: Prepare the easy cream
- Beat the softened butter on high speed until nice and fluffy. Add ½ can condensed milk and combine.
8: Assemble the cake
- Place the bottom part of the chocolate layer on a serving dish and spread with cream. Place a vanilla layer on top and spread with cream. Then do chocolate, cream, vanilla, and cream until all the cake layers are finished.
9: Add cream and decorate the cake
- Cover the entire cake in cream and decorate the top of the cake with chopped toasted walnuts.
10: Set aside then serve your cake
- Let stand for 5-6 hours at room temperature before serving the decadent cake on a cake plate with coffee, tea, ice cream, or a cold glass of milk.
How to store leftover
- Serve Zebra cake at room temperature.
- This Zebra cake can be kept for 1-2 days while covered. If you’d like to keep it for a few more days, store the leftover cake in an airtight container refrigerator for up to a week. Allow the cake to come back to room temperature before serving. (Just keep in mind that over time the fridge will dry out your cake).
- The Zebra cake may also be frozen unfrosted and can be kept for 2-3 months in the freezer.
- Do not overmix this batter. The cake batter must be smooth, velvety, and slightly thick.
- Optional step: If you like your cake really moist, drizzle each layer with sweetened milk and let the layers absorb the liquid for 5 minutes before putting them together with cream.
- Give the pans a shake every now and then to level the batter off.
- Make sure your cake layers have a nice flat-topped surface for adding cream and the next layer.
- If you can find it, use high-quality Dutch-processed cocoa powder. Dutch-processed cocoa powder is darker than regular cocoa powder which helps to bring out that black-and-white effect of the Zebra cake.
- You can use white cake mix to make the vanilla cake recipe. Use the package instructions on the box. Add cocoa powder to make the chocolate cake layer.
- When measuring the white flour, use a scale for the most accurate measurements. However, if you don’t have one, make sure to fluff the flour first and then spoon it into your measuring cup. Level off the cup with the back of a knife to ensure you don’t overpack the flour.
- Use your eggs at room temperature. If you forgot to bring out your eggs from the fridge, you can quickly bring them to room temperature by placing them in a large bowl and covering them with warm tap water for 5 minutes.
- You can use a parchment paper or baking sheet to prevent sticking and enable the cakes to bake more evenly
One of the reasons l love this recipe is it’s very versatile and can be adapted in a variety of different ways. If you want to do different colors and not necessarily chocolate, simply omit the cocoa powder and instead, you can use gel food coloring to tint the cake your desired color.
Of course, then you’d have another cake, not the zebra cake. Gel food coloring is more concentrated and doesn’t add additional liquid to the batter.
If you’re not a fan of condensed milk and butter frosting, you can change it up by using vanilla buttercream frosting, chocolate buttercream frosting, or cream cheese frosting. You can even frost the cake with both chocolate and vanilla frosting.
I love making cakes for dessert! Here are some more of my favorite recipes:
- This classic European Biskvit Cake with Easy Cream (Sponge) is easy and tastes like it came from a bakery!
- You can make a unique Russian Bird’s Milk Cake Recipe with Chocolate Glaze with fun flavors!
- The Lemon Yogurt Layer Cake with Easy Lemon Buttercream is moist, sweet, creamy, and loaded with lemon zest.
More Dessert Recipes
If you tried this Zebra Cake with Easy Cream or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you enjoyed it in the📝 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Zebra Cake with Easy Cream
- Cake spatula
- Stand mixer
- Serving plate
For the Zebra Cake Layers:
- ½ can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups white flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
For the Easy Cream:
- ½ can sweetened condensed milk
- 200 grams butter, softened
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer, combine condensed milk, sour cream, and eggs until the batter is evenly mixed.½ can sweetened condensed milk, 1 cup sour cream, 3 eggs
- Add flour and baking soda and mix again.2 cups white flour, 1 tsp baking soda
- Pour half of the batter into an 8" greased cake pan.
- To the second half of the batter, add cocoa powder and mix well. Pour into an 8" greased cake pan.2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- Bake both the layers for 20 minutes at 400°F.
- Let the layers cool, then cut each one horizontally into two.
- Beat 200 grams of softened butter on high speed until fluffy. Add ½ can condensed milk and combine.½ can sweetened condensed milk, 200 grams butter,
- Optional step: If you like your cake really moist, drizzle each layer with sweetened milk and let the layers absorb the liquid for 2 minutes before putting them together.
- Place the bottom part of the chocolate layer on a serving dish and spread with cream. Place a vanilla layer on top and spread with cream.
- Then do chocolate, cream, vanilla cream until all the layers are finished.
- Cover the entire cake in cream and decorate with chopped toasted walnuts.
- Let stand for 5-6 hours before serving then enjoy with coffee or tea!
- Let the cake stand for at least an 1-2 hours till cutting in.
- For extra moist cake layers, brush with sweetened condensed milk.
- Zebra cake can be made in advance.