Soft and Sweet Cheese Cookies with Farmers Cheese
- Set of bowls
- Cooling rack
- hand mixer
- Spatula set
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup farmer's cheese, or ricotta cheese
- 2 tsp sour cream
- 1 pinch vanilla
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 cups flour, plus a little extra for sprinkling
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, extra
- In a large bowl, beat 1 cup and 2 Tablespoons of softened unsalted butter until it is smooth with no clumps.
- Add to the butter 1 cup of farmer cheese or ricotta cheese. Mix the farmer's cheese mixture well with a spoon.
- Fold in 2 teaspoons of sour cream and a pinch of vanilla.
- In a separate medium bowl or cup, mix 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice; it will foam. Add to the bowl with the rest of the ingredients.
- Fold in 2 cups of all-purpose flour. Mix well until all is incorporated. The dough should be soft. (mixing with hands will help incorporate faster).
- Preheat oven to 350F. Also prepare a baking sheet by putting a sheet of parchment paper.
- With a whisk, in a small bowl whisk 1 large egg to brush the top of each cookie.
- Divide the dough in half. Sprinkle some flour onto your surface where you can roll out the dough.
- Take one half of the dough and gently roll it out into a rectangle shape. (If the dough is sticking to the surface, it means you are pushing too hard)
- Sprinkle a generous amount of sugar throughout the rolled-out dough. (leave some for the other half of the dough and sprinkle on top of each cookie)
- From the long side roll in the dough.
- Cut into small pieces. (Remember, they will expand when baking!) Put each piece onto the baking sheets and lightly push down each piece with two fingers to seal the open end.
- Brush each cookie with whisked egg, and sprinkle with sugar.
- (repeat the process with the other half of the dough).
- Place the cookies into the preheated oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.