Soup season is well underway and I am enjoying it to it’s fullest potential. What is that, you ask? Well for me, it means not only making the familiar soup recipes I usually make, but also exploring outside of my favorite ones and making brand new and unfamiliar ones, too. This Thai Coconut Vegetable Soup might be a new one for you but if it’s not, welcome back! I’m glad you enjoyed it. If it is new for you, don’t hesitate to get all into soup season this year. It’s one the best excuses to make one-pot meals with less dishes.
Thai Coconut Vegetable Soup – easy, from scratch!
While it might not be authentic Thai food, it’s made with ingredients used in Thai cooking, and it’s just a really good tasting soup that will cure your Thai cravings without having to go out.
There are so many more soup recipes that you can make this season. Check out these other 6 chunky soup recipes to make this season!
Here is what you will need to make this easy soup:
- coconut oil
- yellow onion
- garlic cloves
- shiitake mushrooms
- coconut milk
- vegetable or chicken broth
- napa cabbage
- hearty greens like chard, kale, or spinach
- soy sauce (to make it gluten-free, use tamari)
- chili paste
- lime juice
- toasted sesame oil
What form of protein can I add to this Coconut Vegetable Soup?
This soup is already loaded with so much flavor and nutrition, but you can most definitely add some protein to the mix. Try adding tofu, more protein-filled vegetables, fish, or chicken. So many possibilities!
How to make Quick One-Pot Thai Coconut Vegetable Soup
Quick One Pot Thai Coconut Vegetable Soup
- Soup pot
- cutting board
- Lemon squeezer
- Soup bowl
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- ½ yellow onion, cut into 1-inch slices
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can coconut milk, full fat
- 3 cups vegetable broth, or chicken broth
- 2 medium carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 2 cups napa cabbage, sliced
- 2 cups hearty greens, chard, kale, or spinach, chopped
- ¼ cup tamari, or soy suace
- ½ tsp chili paste, up to 1 tsp or to your spice preference
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 small lime, just the juice from the lime
- 1½ tsp toasted sesame oil
- sea salt, to taste
- Heat a medium/large soup pot over medium heat and add coconut oil. Heat until oil is hot.
- Add onions, garlic and salt and cook until they are soft.
- Add shiitake mushrooms and cook another 3-4 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, broth and carrots and simmer for 10 minutes until carrots are soft.
- Add napa cabbage, chopped greens, soy sauce or tamari, and chili paste and continue to simmer for 3-5 more minutes.
- Stir in cilantro, lime and toasted sesame oil.
- Add additional sea salt or more lime if desired.
- Garnish with extra cilantro.