This is an amazingly quick and easy Thai Coconut Vegetable Soup made from scratch with easy and healthy ingredients! You can make it as spicy or mild as you wish to. Loaded with mushrooms, carrots, cabbage, greens, and cooked in coconut milk and vegetable broth.
Soup season is well underway and I am enjoying it to it’s fullest potential. What is that, you ask? Well for me, it means not only making the familiar soup recipes I usually make, but also exploring outside of my favorite ones and making brand new and unfamiliar ones, too. This Thai Coconut Vegetable Soup might be a new one for you but if it’s not, welcome back! I’m glad you enjoyed it. If it is new for you, don’t hesitate to get all into soup season this year. It’s one the best excuses to make one-pot meals with less dishes.
Table of Contents
Thai Coconut Vegetable Soup – easy, from scratch!
While it might not be authentic Thai food, it’s made with ingredients used in Thai cooking, and it’s just a really good tasting soup that will cure your Thai cravings without having to go out.
There are so many more soup recipes that you can make this season. Check out these other 6 chunky soup recipes to make this season!
Here is what you will need to make this easy soup:
- coconut oil
- yellow onion
- garlic cloves
- shiitake mushrooms
- coconut milk
- vegetable or chicken broth
- napa cabbage
- hearty greens like chard, kale, or spinach
- soy sauce (to make it gluten-free, use tamari)
- chili paste
- lime juice
- toasted sesame oil
What form of protein can I add to this Coconut Vegetable Soup?
This soup is already loaded with so much flavor and nutrition, but you can most definitely add some protein to the mix. Try adding tofu, more protein-filled vegetables, fish, or chicken. So many possibilities!
Check out these other veggie recipes:
This One-Pot Beef Stew Recipe is loaded with vegetables and is perfect as a dinner meal.
This Simple Stuffed Portobello with Tomato Garlic and Cheese is a healthier version of pizza!
Quick One Pot Thai Coconut Vegetable Soup
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- ½ yellow onion, cut into 1-inch slices
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can coconut milk, full fat
- 3 cups vegetable broth, or chicken broth
- 2 medium carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 2 cups napa cabbage, sliced
- 2 cups hearty greens, chard, kale, or spinach, chopped
- ¼ cup tamari, or soy suace
- ½ tsp chili paste, up to 1 tsp or to your spice preference
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 small lime, just the juice from the lime
- 1½ tsp toasted sesame oil
- sea salt, to taste
- Heat a medium/large soup pot over medium heat and add coconut oil. Heat until oil is hot.1 Tbsp coconut oil
- Add onions, garlic and salt and cook until they are soft.½ yellow onion,, 3 cloves garlic,, ¼ tsp sea salt
- Add shiitake mushrooms and cook another 3-4 minutes.2 cups shiitake mushrooms,
- Add coconut milk, broth and carrots and simmer for 10 minutes until carrots are soft.1 can coconut milk,, 3 cups vegetable broth,, 2 medium carrots,
- Add napa cabbage, chopped greens, soy sauce or tamari, and chili paste and continue to simmer for 3-5 more minutes.2 cups napa cabbage,, 2 cups hearty greens,, ¼ cup tamari,, ½ tsp chili paste,
- Stir in cilantro, lime and toasted sesame oil.½ cup fresh cilantro,, 1 small lime,, 1½ tsp toasted sesame oil
- Add additional sea salt or more lime if desired.sea salt,
- Garnish with extra cilantro.½ cup fresh cilantro,