This beef chili recipe is full of flavor and is perfectly spiced. With an incredible texture, it’s a wonderfully hearty meal that will warm you up on those cold, winter nights.
The Classic Beef Chili is a common dish and the perfect comfort food. It’s a simple, one-pot chili dish that doesn’t require too much work to make a delicious meal! Did I mention that it’s perfect to enjoy when it’s chilly outside? Maybe that’s why it’s called chili. (Actually, the Spanish originally called it “chile” and the English just borrowed it.)
No matter its name, we all know it and chances are, we’ve all probably made it before, too! The ingredients sometimes may vary, but the flavors will always please.
The secret ingredient for this hearty ground beef chili recipe is the Original Picante Sauce, which adds that perfect kick that’s been missing from the other chili recipes that I’ve tried. This ingredient simply makes this the best beef chili recipe you’ll make.
This homemade chili recipe is my sister-in-law’s recipe and it has become a family favorite of ours. I love making it, and my kids always eat it up.
It’s a perfect way to feed friends and family on game day with a choice of toppings such as corn chips, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, or a side of cornbread. This way everyone picks their favorite toppings and finishes off this great recipe to their own personal preference.
Why you’ll find the irresistible
- Tastes better the next day: One of my favorite things about this classic chili recipe is it tastes even better the next day.
- Flavor-filled: This good chili has an amazing combination of spices that don’t overpower each other.
- Easy: The pot of chili comes together quickly and easily on the stovetop with minimal effort and makes for the perfect weeknight meal.
- Simple to make: While many chili recipes call for simmering for a couple of hours this simple chili recipe can be made in less than 90 minutes.
- Make-ahead and freezer-friendly: The easy chili recipe can be made for meal prep and it also freezes well.
- Easy to double or triple: If you need to make this for game day or a large gathering, this recipe is easy to make a double batch or more.
Key Ingredients to Make the Beef Chili?
Lean ground beef: The star of the show here is ground meat.
Onion: Adds an undeniable sweetness to the base of the recipe.
Garlic: For a more savory and richer flavor.
Red pepper: Adds a bright color and a lovely bold flavor to the recipe.
Carrots: A great aromatic vegetable base that has flavors that work well in this simple chili recipe.
Tomatoes: Deepens the flavor and adds great texture.
Red kidney beans: Add texture and fiber to this beef chili recipe.
The Original Picante Sauce: Adds a bold flavor to this recipe. You can choose to add more or less depending on how spicy you’d like it!
Along with those ingredients, you will need olive oil, ground cumin, dried oregano, salt, and black pepper.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
How to make the best chili recipe
Step 1: Cook the vegetables
- On a stovetop, in a large pot or cast-iron pot, heat olive oil over medium heat then add the onion, red bell pepper, garlic, and carrots and put the lid on.
Step 2: Stir and cook vegetables and add cumin
- Cook the vegetables until they’re tender, stirring occasionally. Then add the ground cumin and cook for one more minute until fragrant.
Step 3: Add the ground beef
- Raise the heat to medium-high heat and add the ground meat. Cook until the meat is no longer pink, stirring occasionally and breaking up the beef with a wooden spoon.
Step 4: Pour in tomatoes and add the rest of the ingredients
- Add the diced tomatoes, Picante Sauce, water, dried oregano, salt, and pepper and stir until the ingredients are mixed well. Partially cover the pot and cook on low heat for 30 minutes, giving a good stir every 10 minutes.
Step 5: Stir in the red kidney beans
- Stir in the beans and cook for 20 more minutes until the flavors have melded and the liquid is slightly reduced.
Step 6: Finish off then serve
- Remove the pot from the heat. Let the chili rest for 5-10 minutes then ladle into bowls and top with sour cream and bread or add any of your favorite. Enjoy!
How to store leftover beef chili
- To store leftover chili let it cool to room temperature then place it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. Reheat on medium heat on a stove top until boiling or reheat in a microwave-safe bowl for a few minutes.
- To freeze this dish, allow it to cool completely and place it in a freezer-safe storage container. Remove as much air as possible then seal and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to enjoy, thaw frozen chili in the refrigerator overnight then warm on low heat. You can add a little bit of water if it’s too thick.
- For best results when you’re simmering the chili, partially cover the pot to prevent the liquid from evaporating too quickly.
- It’s a good idea to use canned beans to make this recipe convenient. Just remember to rinse and drain the beans before adding them to the pot.
- After stirring in and cooking the beef, drain any excess fat.
- Slow cooking the chili allows the flavors of the ingredients to meld together.
- You can add tomato paste or tomato sauce for extra tomato flavoring.
- If you don’t have fresh garlic, use garlic powder.
If you’d like another variant of this recipe or you’re cutting down on red meat you can substitute the beef with ground turkey or ground chicken.
An authentic Texas Chili or chili con carne doesn’t have beans but l add them for the extra protein, fiber, and texture. They also make the chili more hearty.
You can add any of your family or friend’s favorite toppings in their own bowl. The choices of toppings include shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, sliced green onion, saltine crackers or oyster crackers, diced avocado, Greek yogurt, Fritos, tortilla chips, chives, or alongside homemade cornbread.
To make this beef chili spicy, you can add a few tablespoons of diced jalapeños, poblano peppers, chili powder, or green chiles. You can even add a few tablespoons of hot sauce.
Here are some more great beef recipes that fill you with protein!
- The Tasty Oven Baked Beef Stuffed Zucchini Recipe is a fancy recipe that isn’t difficult to put together!
- I like to make this Simple Homemade Beef and Rice Soup (Kharcho) for the whole family.
- This Simple One-Pot Hearty Soup with Beef or Lamb is delicious, and hearty and makes a great dinner in no time.
More Soup Recipes to Try
If you tried this My Sister In-law’s Quick and Easy Beef Chili Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you enjoyed it in the📝 comments below. I love hearing from you!
My Sister In-law’s Quick and Easy Beef Chili Recipe
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2-3 small tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cans red kidney beans
- 1 cup The Original Picante Sauce, for a spicier optiona, add an additional cup
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
In a large cast-iron pot heat olive oil over medium heat.2 Tbsp olive oil
Add the onion, red bell pepper, garlic, and carrots, then put the lid on, and cook until the vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Then add the ground cumin and cook for one more minute.1 small onion,, 1 red bell pepper,, 2 medium carrots,, 2 tsp ground cumin, 2 cloves garlic,
Raise the heat to medium high and add the ground beef. Cook until the meat is no longer pink, stirring occasionally and breaking up the beef with a spoon.1 lb ground beef
Add the diced tomatoes, Picante Sauce, water, dried oregano, salt and pepper and stir until the ingredients are mixed well. Partially cover the pot and cook on low for 30 minutes, stirring every ten minutes.2-3 small tomatoes,, 1 tsp dried oregano, 1 cup The Original Picante Sauce,, salt,, black pepper,
Stir in the beans and cook for 20 more minutes.2 cans red kidney beans
Serve with sour cream and bread. Enjoy!
- Use lean ground beef.
- You can use a can of 14oz diced tomatoes instead of fresh tomatoes.