Simple One-Pot Hearty Soup with Beef or Lamb
Simple One-Pot Soup is the best: especially when there are no dishes that you have to do afterward, so enjoy this hearty soup!
Table of Contents
This hearty vegetable beef soup is perfect for the chilly months!
During the fall rush, there is no replacing valuable family time. Spending time in the kitchen cooking and cleaning sometimes can take up that time. That’s where one-pot meals come in because they are an easy way to make a great dinner in less time!
My family loves making comfort food together, and this amazing hearty beef vegetable soup made on a stovetop is the ideal delicious meal for us.
All of the simple ingredients can be found at the grocery store with no problems. This vegetable beef soup recipe is ideal for a chilly day. With tender chunks of protein-rich beef or lamb chunks, a variety of vegetables, and fresh parsley, this recipe is the best thing to make for a crowd or for a sick family member because it’s a tasty comfort dish.
While you may be tempted to use frozen veggies, don’t forget that fresh vegetables have the best flavor and benefits additions to this homemade easy recipe. This is the best beef stew recipe as it’s healthy and filled with root vegetables such as potatoes, onions, and carrots which are low in calories, fat, and cholesterol and high in fiber.
A simple, quick, and easy recipe, this old-fashioned flavorful lamb stew is a fall staple. Filled with potatoes, tender beef, and some favorite veggies, it’s the perfect well-rounded meal. It makes for a filling winter soup to stay warm and it also has health benefits for your body!
Beef or lamb, whichever tender meat you choose to enjoy, are both filled with protein, which supports cell repair and helps to make antibodies. The best cut of beef to use for this homemade soup is one that has been grass-fed! Lamb shoulder or lamb rib cut is the best for the texture and taste of this stew.
Potatoes I like to use organic gold potatoes, they have the creamy taste verses the russet potatoes.
Carrots If using organic, you don’t need to peel the carrots; just wash.
Onion Use yellow onion that is not sweet.
Red bell pepper If you can’t find red use orange, but definitely try to find the red one.
Tomatoes Any big tomatoes will work great here, plum tomatoes, heirloom tomatoes or even steak tomatoes.
Fresh parsley If you don’t like parsley substitute for cilantro.
Along with those soup ingredients, you will need olive oil, salt, a little bit of black pepper, and cold water.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
How to make One Pot Hearty Soup with Beef or Lamb
To make this flavorful and satisfying cozy soup from scratch, these are the step-by-step instructions:
Step 1: Heat the oil
In a cast iron pot, heat 4 Tablespoons of oil on medium-high heat.
Step 2: Fry the meat
Cut the meat into small pieces and add to the pot. Stir the meat using a wooden spoon occasionally until it becomes brown (about 10 minutes.) Remember to deglaze the bottom of the pot for the brown bits as they add to the tasty dish.
Step 3: Prepare the vegetables
While the meat is cooking, peel and wash your vegetables. Cut potatoes in smaller pieces and chop the carrots. Set them aside.
Step 4: Add onions and tomatoes to the pot
Chop the onions and add to the meat, continue to fry for another 7 minutes or until the onions are soft and clear. Chop 2-3 tomatoes and also add to the pot
Step 5: Add the rest of the vegetables to the pot
Now add the potatoes and carrots to the pot. Cook for another 5 minutes. Add red pepper and stir.
Step 6: Pour water and season
Pour the water, about 4 cups or enough to cover all the ingredients, and an extra inch higher. Add a little bit of salt ( I add about a teaspoon) and pepper to your taste. Bring to a boil.
Step 7: Add parsley then simmer
Take off the foam that has gathered on top with a spoon. Add in the washed parsley (whole, not cut), reduce the heat to low, and cover the pot. Simmer the soup for about an hour, or until the potatoes are soft and cooked. Simmering helps to make a thicker stew with a rich flavor.
Step 8: Remove parsley and serve
After the potatoes and vegetables are cooked through, remove the parsley, (it was just for flavor) you won’t need it anymore. The soup is ready for the whole family to enjoy!
It’s a rich and flavorful soup that can satisfy a person’s appetite. A hearty meal is large and very satisfying. Usually, a hearty soup is healthy and delicious. It’s warm and so it’s made for chilly days to keep you cozy and comfortable.
To make a soup more filling you can add potatoes, pasta or rice. In this hearty beef
stew, we added potatoes.
This large pot of soup is hearty because of all of the benefits the meat and variety of
vegetables provided. It also fills you up and is very easy to eat. It’s one of the best soup
recipes that we can call hearty!
This hearty soup can be accompanied by these fantastic Easy Soft Dinner Rolls or homemade Crusty bread, especially on a chilly day. This flavorful lamb stew meat can be served with rice or pasta to make a delicious meal for the whole family.
Hearty stews contain both meat and vegetables while soup only contains vegetables.
They are both ideal for cold weather. You can add vegetable broth, or chicken broth to it
as well to enhance the taste.
- Cut veggies into equal size pieces: When prepping the carrots, onions, and potatoes, cut them into equal-sized pieces. This will ensure the vegetables cook at the same rate
- Fresh parsley is the secret ingredient in this recipe as its full of flavor and makes the meal delicious.
- Use gold Yukon potatoes if you can find them, if not use russet potatoes (or Idaho potatoes) if you can find them because they have a higher fiber content than white ones.
- No tomatoes, no problem. While fresh tomatoes are best, you can replace them with canned tomatoes or tomato paste. Though the texture and taste are not the same, it does come quite close.
How to store leftover beef soup
In the refrigerator, you can store leftover beef soup for 3-4 days. In the freezer, you can keep it for 2-3 months.
Here are some more stew recipes for you to try:
Try the Hearty Beef Soup Kharcho, a traditional and mouth-watering beef and rice soup. If you’re a fan of one-pot dishes, then this One-pot and Slow Cooked Braised Beef with carrots will be a hit for you. This tasty One-Pot Healthy Soup with Lamb and herbs is another perfect and easy recipe to try out.
Other Tasty Beef Recipes you Should Try
If you tried this Chili Garlic Shrimp Stir Fry or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and leave your 📝 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Simple One Pot Hearty Soup with Beef
- Soup pot
- 1-2 lb beef, or lamb, cut into small pieces
- 4 potatoes, peeled & chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled & chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2-3 tomatoes, chopped
- 4 Tbsp oil
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 liter water
- In a cast iron pot, heat the oil.4 Tbsp oil
- Cut the meat into small pieces and add into the pot. Stirring the meat occasionally until it becomes brown (about 10 minutes.)1-2 lb beef,
- While the meat is cooking, peel and wash your vegetables.4 potatoes,, 2 carrots,, 1 red bell pepper,
- Chop the onions and add to the meat, continue to fry for another 7 minutes or until the onions are soft and clear.1 yellow onion,
- Chop the tomatoes and also add into the pot.2-3 tomatoes,
- Now add potatoes and carrots, cut potatoes in smaller pieces and chop the carrots, then add to the pot. Cook for another 5 minutes.4 potatoes,, 2 carrots,
- Add in the chopped red pepper and stir.1 red bell pepper,
- Pour the water (about 4 cups, or enough to cover all the ingredients) and an extra inch higher. Add in salt ( I add about a teaspoon) and pepper to your taste. Bring to a boil.salt,, 1 liter water, black pepper,
- Take off the foam that has gathered on top with a spoon. Add in the washed parsley (whole, not cut), reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer for about an hour, or until the potatoes are soft and cooked.1 bunch fresh parsley
- After the potatoes and vegetables are cooked through, remove the parsley, (it was just for flavor) you won’t need it anymore. The soup is ready, enjoy!
- If possible use gold Yukon potatoes.
- Adjust salt and pepper to your liking.
Delicious hearty soup for a rainy and cold day. I used beef, since it was cheaper than lamb and the soup was delicious. All the kids loved it.