Soft dinner rolls are comforting, soft, fluffy, and buttery. Fresh and homemade soft buns are always a favorite for dinner.
Table of Contents
Like most classic homemade bread recipes, the best dinner rolls require simple ingredients found in any grocery store.
To make these soft dinner buns, you will need:
Dry Active Yeast: This recipe calls for just 2 tsp of active dry yeast, which, if you buy the little packets, 1 will be enough.
Sugar: Gives the rolls a hint of sweetness.
Flour: The recipe requires 5 cups of flour + a handful for shaping the buns. I usually use Canadian flour, which I get at Costco when visiting my inlaws. I have only tried this recipe with the all-purpose flour, Canadian flour, and baking flour and haven’t tried others, so I can’t say if all kinds of flour would work. But make sure that the flour you use is unbleached.
Salt: Bring out the flavors.
Warm Water and Warm Milk: These serve as our liquids for the bread dough, and make sure it’s warm, not hot.
Eggs: You will need two eggs plus one more for brushing the tops of the buns to give them a golden color.
Melted Butter: Make sure it’s unsalted.
What flour should I use for fluffy dinner rolls?
How to Store Bread Rolls?
Store rolls in an airtight container in a warm place to keep bread rolls fresh the next day.
Making Bread Dough in a Bread Maker
The simplest way to make bread dough is by using a bread machine. You just add all the ingredients together and press the dough option. The only thing you will need to do is wait for the soft dough to be ready. The machine does the kneading and mixing, and the dough rises all in the machine. For bread machines, it takes about an hour and a half for the dough to be ready. You can also use a stand mixer with a paddle attachment on medium-low speed or knead the dough by hand in a large mixing bowl.
TIPS for Best Results: Soft Homemade Dinner Rolls
- Use fresh ingredients
- Make sure the yeast is not expired (it happens)
- Use a kitchen scale to measure out ingredients accurately
- Let the dinner rolls rise before placing them in the oven (35 minutes)
- Make sure you have a clean work surface when working with the dough.
Here are some tasty dishes you can enjoy these rolls with!
Soy Sauce Baked Chicken Thighs in the Oven are the perfect protein-filled main dish.
You can make this 30 Minute Vegetable Soup in just one pot!
Buttery and Soft Dinner Rolls Recipe
- Bread machine
- parchment paper
- small bowl
- Stand mixer
- 2 tsp yeast
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1½ cups warm water
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup warm milk, I used organic 2%
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 cups unbleached flour, + a handful for shaping buns
- 1 large egg, for brushing the tops of the buns, optional
- I used a bread machine for this recipe. You could also use a hand mixer for the following steps. you can use a stand mixer and follow the steps.
- Into a small bowl add yeast, 2 teaspoons of sugar, and ½ cup of warm water. Let it rise for 15 minutes.2 tsp yeast, ⅓ cup sugar, 1½ cups warm water
- In bread machine bowl add the rest of the sugar and warm water. Combine with the rest of the ingredients.⅓ cup sugar, 1½ cups warm water, 2 large eggs, ½ cup unsalted butter,, ¼ cup warm milk,, 1 tsp salt, 5 cups unbleached flour,
- Turn on the DOUGH setting on your bread machine, and let it do the job. My bread machine takes 2 hours and 20 minutes. This can vary depending on your machine.
- Spray a rectangular 18″ X 13″ baking sheet. (If your pan is not a nonstick type, then you should put a sheet of parchment paper.)
- The dough will be easy to work with. Use unbleached flour to form the dough into 24 balls and lay them on the baking sheet.
- Let rise for 35 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 360F.
- For the nice golden color of the soft buns, whisk 1 large egg and brush on the tops of the buns.1 large egg,
- Place in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Let it cool down and enjoy!