This chunky asparagus summer soup only takes 1 hour to make.
Asparagus soup is a delicacy that I’ve had the pleasure of trying and am so happy to share with you! It takes less than an hour to make, and all in one pot! After enjoying it once, you’ll be addicted to this Chunky Asparagus Summer Soup!
It doesn’t have to stay chunky. Make it a creamy asparagus soup.
If you prefer to hide all the vegetables, feel free to make it a creamy soup but place the ready-made, cooled-down soup into the blender.
Summer soup? Yep, it’s a thing.
Summer rains have been pouring all week and while we’re missing the sun’s hot rays, this asparagus soup has shown up in our house! Asparagus season is well in town and at this time of year, I get creative with recipes.
You don’t need an immersion blender or too many ingredients to make this silky soup. The asparagus pieces are quickly devoured by kiddos. This light dinner is the perfect meal before enjoying ice cream while taking a walk. If you’ve stumbled upon this recipe in the spring, don’t wait for summer to come: it’s the perfect spring soup, too!
Chunky Summer Soup, is it Raw?
Puréed soup may be common, but in the summer we like to eat our veggies whole, if not raw. The fresh vegetables in this soup don’t need to be chopped up too much, just bite-sized pieces. You won’t need your regular blender or even an immersion blender to make a blended soup. Food processor? Leave it in the pantry. The nutrients of this easy asparagus soup won’t be lost in the flavor but will stand out as you enjoy the fresh veggies.
In just 40 minutes, this recipe comes together for a delicious lunch. One bunch of asparagus, baby potatoes, and garlic chop up quickly while the onion sautées in the large pot. The cooking process is pretty straightforward, so you can leave the soup simmering for minutes at a time while you multitask.
I don’t know what you enjoy, but something I love as much as cooking is making pretty presentation out of the food I make. This soup does it all on its own with the chunky veggies that pop out of the broth. A hot soup always looks better when you can see what’s in it!
Here’s what you’ll need to put together a delicious asparagus soup:
Fresh asparagus of course is the beginning of this recipe. It has vitamin A, supporting eye health.
Young carrots contain potassium, which supports blood pressure to keep it in check.
Carrot greens is not an ingredient you’ll want to feed to your pet bunny in this case. These vibrant green leaves contain vitamin C!
Green peas add yet more green color to this early spring recipe. They contain vitamin E, supporting a healthy complexion.
Onion and garlic add rich flavors and anti-inflammatory properties. Garlic helps to fight inflammation and the common cold.
Ghee, butter, or olive oil: this trifecta starts this soup. Anyone works, whichever you have on hand or the one that you prefer.
Broth always makes a good soup a great soup. You can use vegetable broth or chicken broth. They have benefits in them that support digestion.
Heavy cream naturally makes the liquid portion of the soup creamy.
Salt and black pepper finish off this soup with the perfect touch to bring out the best flavors.
Enjoy more soups from the blog to make year round:
Easy Homemade Classic Chicken Noodle Soup with Potatoes is a family favorite comfort soup.
You can make Green Herb Soup with Sorrel (Shchavel Borscht) easily at home. It’s a Slavic family favorite and filled with so many benefits!
Chunky Asparagus Summer Soup
- 200 grams asparagus
- 1½ cups baby potatoes, chopped
- 4 young carrots, sliced (1½ cups)
- 1 handful carrot greens, optional
- 1 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp ghee, butter, or olive oil
- 6 cups broth, chicken or vegetable
- ½ cup heavy cream
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add sliced carrots, chopped onion, and minced garlic. Cook for 5 min, stirring a few times.4 young carrots,, 1 small onion,, 1 Tbsp ghee,, 1 clove garlic,
- Add chopped potatoes and broth to the pot. Bring to boil and cook until potatoes are tender, about 10-15 min.1½ cups baby potatoes,, 6 cups broth,
- Trim the asparagus and cut into bite-sized pieces, leave the tops whole.200 grams asparagus
- When the potatoes are cooked add chopped asparagus stalks and green peas to the pot. You can also add a handful of chopped carrots greens. Simmer for 3 minutes.200 grams asparagus, 1 handful carrot greens,, 1 cup green peas,
- In the end add cream and bring to boil one more time. As soon as there are bubbles, turn off the heat.½ cup heavy cream
- Add salt and pepper to taste.salt and black pepper,