One-Pot Beef Stew Recipe
This classic beef stew is the comfort food you’ll want to make on a chilly weekend. Beef, onion, carrots, potatoes, and tomato sauce come together in one pot. If you are feeding a crowd, you can double it easily and prepare it ahead of time, and just simmer to keep it warm and tender. After a few hours of cooking, the meat becomes amazingly tender and the flavors all combine into a deliciously comforting and cozy meal.
Table of Contents
How do I choose the right kind of meat?
When choosing beef, any cut works. Because stew simmers for hours, even the inexpensive cuts will become tender, soft and will melt in your mouth. I don’t necessarily go for the meat labeled “beef stew meat” at the butcher shop. You should ask the butcher what kind of meat it is before buying. I prefer to buy uncut meat and cut it at home into stew pieces myself. If you are on a budget, look for the front shoulder, or also known as the chuck roast.
What ingredients are in this soup?
For the potato, I like to use Yukon potatoes for their silky-smooth taste. But russet potatoes work well too. This recipe of stew is made with carrots, onions, and tomato paste. While most beef stew on the internet is made with red wine, I prefer to make it with the tomato flavors, first, because that is how my family always made it and second, because it doesn’t have the overpowering taste of the wine.
The rest of the ingredients are simple, ones that you most likely always have on hand. Olive oil, water, salt and pepper to taste, and fresh dill for garnish. (You can also use parsley instead of the dill.)
What do I need to make this recipe?
- extra virgin olive oil
- yellow onion
- tomato paste
- salt & pepper
Looking for more one-pot recipes? Here are some top ones from the blog:
This All in One Pot Creamy Zucchini Soup is a tasty comfort food!
You’ll love this Simple One Pot Chunky Fish and Vegetable Chowder! It’s a delicious soup that’s rich and nutritious.
One-Pot Beef Stew Recipe
- Cast iron pot
- Vegetable peeler
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 lb beef, boneless
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 7 potatoes, depending on their size
- 3 Tbsp organic tomato paste
- salt and pepper
- fresh dill, for garnish
- Heat up extra virgin olive oil in a cast iron pot (or any pot).2 Tbsp olive oil
- Chop beef, then sauté in oil for 1 minute on medium-high heat. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.2 lb beef,, salt and pepper
- Peel and chop the potatoes into fours (you don’t want small pieces, that would make it mushy), add to the beef.7 potatoes,
- Chop the yellow onion, add to the pot.1 yellow onion,
- Peel and slice carrots.4 carrots,
- Add tomato paste.3 Tbsp organic tomato paste
- Add just enough water to cover all the ingredients.water
- Add salt and pepper to taste.salt and pepper
- Cover the lid and simmer for 1 hour on the lowest heat.
- Garnish with fresh dill and serve!fresh dill,