THE INGREDIENTS ARE SIMPLE, WITH A BURSTING FLAVOR
As you can see, you don’t need much for a comforting pot of squash soup. Ingredients such as garlic, onion, carrots and vegetable broth should be cycled through all of the different things you cook up during the flu season.
Feel free to add avocado oil instead of olive oil for a fatty acid that provides numerous health benefits to your heart and could reduce blood pressure and regulate cholesterol levels.
Also, you can substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth.
HOW TO MAKE A QUICK AND EASY SQUASH SOUP
All in One Pot Winter Squash Soup
- Soup pot
- cutting board
- garlic press
- Vegetable peeler
- Soup bowl
- mixing spoon
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, for avocado oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 small potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 4 cups winter squash, peeled, seeded, & cubed
- 32 oz vegetable broth, or chicken broth
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, and a dash of salt. Stir to coat with oil and cook until fragrant and soft.
- Add carrots, celery, potatoes, squash, broth, thyme, and salt to the pot.
- Bring to boil and simmer covered for 45 minutes or until all vegetables are soft.
- Remove from heat and allow soup to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Gently blend using an immersion blender or in batches using a regular blender. Blend just until smooth, but do not over-blend - then return blended soup to the pot.
- Add nutmeg, extra salt, and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm topped with toasted pumpkin seeds (see below) and chopped parsley.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add pumpkin seeds and continuously stir until you begin to hear them pop.
- Continue stirring until all seeds are roasted and slightly brown.
- Remove from heat and transfer seeds to a bow. Add a dash of soy sauce, tamari, or sea salt.