Creamy cheesy cheddar broccoli soup is hearty, delicious and jam-packed with flavor. You’re only 30 minutes and a handful of everyday ingredients away from a bowl of velvety goodness.
Table of Contents
Creamy Cheesy Cheddar Broccoli Soup
Once the temperatures drop, I begin craving warm bowls of hearty, delicious soups. They are just the perfect comfort food and they taste fantastic. One of my favorite soups of all time has got to be this beautiful creamy broccoli cheese soup recipe. You can definitely have it on busy weeknights and it’s a crowd favorite at gatherings too.
It’s hard to keep up with healthy eating when you’re cold but this flavorful soup is a winner because it gives you the best of both worlds: it’s full of nutrients and it tastes amazing. Yes, I’ll take a bowl. Or three. I know what you’re thinking. Leave this classic soup recipe to the pros. To the professional bread shops. To the ones who have had this recipe passed down for generations.
Make Broccoli Soup at Home
You can make homemade broccoli cheddar soup that’s just as good as the ones you find from those bread shops, if not better. This tried and tested recipe has been perfected and always gets the seal of approval of the whole family.
I always have to make a big batch because seconds and thirds are almost guaranteed with this wonderful recipe. The best way to enjoy this soup is to have it with crusty bread for dipping, with fresh dinner rolls, or in a bread bowl.
The cheesy flavor of this soup is what reels you in. But it’s the perfect consistency that gets you to stay until the very last slurp. And that’s all in the roux. It’s the most important thing in this broccoli cheddar soup recipe. You can make it in 3 easy steps:
1. Sauté your onion and carrot in the butter.
2. Add flour and cook for a minute
3. Slowly whisk in your vegetable broth.
Making a roux and achieving the perfect consistency before adding in your broccoli and shredded cheese is the secret to this easy broccoli cheese soup. You won’t be getting spoonfuls of watered-down soup here or that horrible chunky stuff. Nope, the texture of this soup is sheer perfection.
Next time, when you’re in a rut about what to cook on a chilly weeknight, this broccoli and cheddar soup is a great recipe to try out. It’s so good, it’ll become a winter staple in your home. The best part about this easy recipe is the total time to make it on a stovetop is only 30 minutes and you get good food in the end. Enjoy!
Now, let’s put this cheesy broccoli soup recipe together!
Fresh Broccoli Heads: Broccoli is rich in vitamins A, B6, and B12.The stems contribute body, extra broccoli flavor, and have the most fiber.
Onion: helps to reduce the levels of cholesterol in your body.
Large Carrots: Carrots are filled with beta-carotene, which supports eye health.
Vegetable broth: is filled with fiber and supports your digestive system. It enhances the flavor of the soup.
Mozzarella and Cheddar cheese: is high in protein and calcium. It adds both flavor and nutritional value to the soup.
Unsalted butter: Adds much flavor to the soup and helps to brown the vegetables.
All-purpose flour: Acts as a thickening agent and adds a velvety texture to the creamy soup.
Whole milk: Is calcium, vitamin, and minerals rich. It’s used to achieve the best texture in the soup as it makes it thicker, more consistent, and more enjoyable.
You also need salt and pepper to taste.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
How to make the Best Broccoli Cheese Soup
1: Sauté the vegetables
- In a medium size soup pot, on medium-high heat, melt butter. To the butter add the chopped onion, sliced large carrot, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper. Sauté for 5 minutes, mixing occasionally until softened and light gold.
2: Add flour and vegetable broth
- Add flour for consistency and cook for another minute until it turns golden then pour vegetable broth into the flour mixture. Bring to a boil.
3: Add the fresh broccoli heads
- Add the cut broccoli heads to the pot and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the broccoli becomes soft.
4:Pour in milk and cheese
- After the broccoli has softened, pour milk in and add shredded cheese for the best flavor.
5: Finish cooking and serve!
- For a rich, creamy soup, cook on medium-low heat until the cheese completely melts. Add salt and pepper to taste then serve with toasted crusty bread or in a bread bowl. Enjoy!
- Lightly brown all the vegetables before adding the broth for extra flavor.
- Don’t substitute the vegetable broth with water. Because this is a vegetarian soup, vegetable broth helps to build the layers of flavors.
- For best results, l use both mozzarella and cheddar cheese
- You can use a food processor to shred cheese at home. Avoid using pre-shredded cheese as it has additives and preservatives which end up making the cheese clump together and not melting smoothly when you’re making this creamy soup recipe.
How to store leftover
- You can store leftover broccoli cheese soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- When you’re ready to enjoy it again, simply reheat it on medium-low heat and then serve.
- You can store it in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
I recommend using fresh broccoli heads for the best texture of the soup. If you don’t have them, you can use frozen broccoli. Just make sure you thaw it completely before adding it to the soup.
If you don’t have vegetable broth you can replace it with chicken stock or chicken broth.
I don’t recommend it. Whole milk is best as it adds creaminess without an overwhelming amount of extra dairy fat which can affect the flavor.
Soup season is the best! Here are some more easy soup recipes you’ll love:
The Simple One Pot Cauliflower Soup with Cheese is a low-carb mouthwatering soup that has a rich flavor.
A Tangy Smoked Tomatoes Chicken Soup with Vegetables can be made fresh and tastes amazing!
Using a few ingredients, this Easy and Light Chicken Meatball Soup with Rice with Potatoes is a delicious hearty soup and goes down easy.
Other Tasty Recipes with Broccoli
If you tried this Creamy Cheesy Cheddar Broccoli Soup or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you enjoyed it in the📝 comments below. I love hearing from you!
How to Make Creamy Cheesy Cheddar Broccoli Soup
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3½ cups broccoli, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 liter vegetable broth, (4 cups)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheese, mozzarella or cheddar
- In a medium size soup pot, melt unsalted butter. To the butter add chopped onion, sliced carrot, salt, and black pepper. Sauté for 5 minutes, mixing occasionally.4 Tbsp unsalted butter, 1 large yellow onion,, 1 carrot,, salt,, pepper,
- Add in flour, cook for another minute and pour in vegetable broth. Bring to a boil.3 Tbsp flour, 1 liter vegetable broth,
- To the pot add in broccoli heads. Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the broccoli becomes soft.3½ cups broccoli,
- After broccoli has softened, pour in milk and add in shredded cheese. ( I used both mozzarella and cheddar)1 cup milk, 1 cup shredded cheese,
- Cook until the cheese completely melts, salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!salt,, pepper,