Veggie Frittata Muffins in the oven make breakfast anything but boring. These light and delicious egg muffins with broccoli, red peppers, and chopped red onions are fun, healthy, and so easy to
make! A truly great on-the-go recipe.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and these mini egg frittatas are a perfect way to start the day. Personally, breakfast is my favorite meal. Well, if you don’t count snacks that is. Even then, breakfast is up there. I love a good ole’ “breakfast for dinner.” I love a savory breakfast and a sweet one just the same. Listen, all I know is, there are always some eggs and pancakes calling my name. Somewhere.
And while I enjoy the traditional sit-down breakfast, sometimes that’s not possible. With kids that have to go to school, and adults that need to leave for work, having some great grab-n-go breakfast options is such a lifesaver. This make-ahead breakfast can be made the night before and be ready the next morning. It can also be enjoyed as a quick snack, or as part of a breakfast buffet when entertaining.
And while store-bought granola bars or a piece of fruit are convenient, there are other healthier and more satisfying options for a quick breakfast on your most busy days.
These easy egg muffins are one of them.
Here’s what you’ll absolutely love about this recipe:
It’s easy to make: This is one of the most easy recipes you’ll make for breakfast. Too easy. All you need to do is chop up your veggies, whisk your eggs, mix everything, and let it all fluff up in the oven. Go ahead and get ready in the meantime!
It uses basic ingredients: This easy breakfast recipe uses simple ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen.
It’s so versatile: This great recipe is my favorite way to make frittata muffins. It’s been tried and perfected. The flavors are the ones my family and I absolutely love. Crunchy bites of broccoli, onions, and bright red peppers with parmesan cheese all in a fluff of eggy goodness sounds divine to me. But if there are other veggies you’d like to add? Go for it! Add fresh spinach. Maybe some cherry tomatoes. Substitute the parmesan for feta. You can truly customize this dish with your favorite mix-ins!
It’s healthy: This is one of the best things about the broccoli and cheese egg muffins. Seriously, instead of those sugary breakfasts (every once in a while is fine), or those empty calorie bars, serve your entire family these tasty egg muffins. They’re full of protein, vitamins, and many other essential nutrients that will guarantee a great start to your day!
If you’ve never made frittata muffins before, you need to try it! Like, yesterday.
Vegetarian frittata muffins’ key ingredients
Large Eggs: For the base of the mini frittatas.
Broccoli florets: I love broccoli because it’s healthy and yummy so l include it in as many recipes as l can including this delicious breakfast
Red bell peppers: Fresh and colorful vegetables really jazz up these mini frittatas.
Red onions: They are sweeter and milder than white onions and give a wonderful flavor to the frittata. Their color deepens when cooked making the frittatas look gorgeous and tasty.
Parmesan cheese: Mix the eggs with shredded cheddar cheese and grated or shredded parmesan cheese. Feta cheese or goat cheese are also great options.
Along with those ingredients, you will need salt, black pepper, avocado oil, and water.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
How to make the easy egg muffins in the oven
Oven Prep and Muffin tip prep
Preheat oven to 325°F. Then lightly grease a 12-cup nonstick muffin pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add avocado oil and chopped vegetables. Cook vegetables, stirring until soft for about 5-6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Place vegetables in muffin pan
- Pour the vegetables evenly into the greased muffin tin and set aside.
Prepare the egg mixture
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk eggs, salt, and water together well then add cheese and whisk again
Pour egg mixture over veggies
- Using a 1/3 cup measuring cup, pour egg mixture evenly over veggies distributing evenly between the 12 muffin tin. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and grated cheese if desired.
Bake egg muffins
- Put the muffin tin in the oven and back for 15-20 minutes until the centers are just set (a small jiggle in the center is fine).
Cool and serve
- Transfer the mini egg frittatas to a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!
- Cut the veggies small so that a little bit of each vegetable ends up in every bite.
- You can substitute the fresh broccoli with frozen broccoli florets. Just make sure you thaw them first and drain off the excess water.
- Let the egg bites cool for about 10 minutes before removing from the muffin tins. Use a plastic knife or butter knife and run it around each egg bite in the muffin tin for easier removal.
- The egg muffin cups should be about ¾ full to prevent overflowing. Give the contents of each cup a gentle stir before placing them in the oven.
- For additional cheesy goodness add more cheddar, mozzarella, or Parmesan to the mixture.
How to store leftover frittatas
Store leftovers in an airtight container in a single layer in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. When you’re ready to enjoy them you can reheat the leftovers in the microwave at reduced power.
A frittata is an egg dish that is loaded with veggies, meat, cheese, and just about any leftover you have at your disposal. It is similar to a quiche, but it does not have a crust. Mini frittatas are a healthy on-the-go breakfast option.
This dish is versatile so you’re free to add any of your favorite vegetables. You can add zucchini, asparagus, cherry tomatoes, or spinach instead of broccoli. The vegetables can be fresh, frozen, or leftovers.
Yes, you can. After they’ve cooled completely, wrap them individually and place them in a single layer in a freezer bag. They will last up to 2 months. To reheat, unwrap from the plastic wrap and fold them in damp paper towels. Heat them for 10-20 seconds in the microwave and enjoy them warm.
Grease your muffin tin properly and use a good quality non-stick muffin tray. If in doubt, use parchment paper or cupcake liners to prevent sticking.
More healthy recipes you’ll love
Quick & Crispy Fried Chicken Cutlets are a chicken tender alternative to make at home instead of getting takeout!
Simple Braised Potatoes with Onion is a delicious recipe you can make as a side.
Other Tasty Egg Recipes
If you tried this Veggie Frittata Muffins (Keto Recipe) or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you enjoyed it in the📝 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Veggie Frittata Muffins (Keto Recipe)
- 1½ cups broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 cup red pepper, chopped
- ½ cup red onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- black pepper
- 12 eggs
- 3 Tbsp water
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Lightly grease 12 nonstick muffin tins and set aside.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add avocado oil and chopped vegetables. Cook vegetables until soft. Season with salt and pepper.1½ cups broccoli florets,, 1 cup red pepper,, ½ cup red onion,, 1 Tbsp avocado oil, salt, black pepper
- Divide vegetables evenly into the greased 6 muffin tins and set aside.
- Whisk eggs, salt, water together well then add cheese and whisk again.12 eggs, 3 Tbsp water, ½ tsp salt, ½ cup parmesan cheese,
- Using 1/3 cup measuring cup, pour egg mixture over veggies distributing evenly between the 12 muffin tins. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and grated cheese if desired.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until cooked through.
- Allow to cool a few minutes before removing from the muffin pan.
- Substitute different vegetables if needed.
- Check the muffin with a fork or toothpick, if cooked through before removing it from the oven.