This nifty potato breakfast burritos are absolutely delicious, and only require 10 minutes to prep. Burritos are an easy breakfast idea for busy mornings, weekend brunch for your family, or to have before leaving for work. These hot burritos are stuffed with melting cream cheese, thinly sliced potatoes, scrambled eggs, cream cheese, ripped avocados, fresh parsley, red onion, and ground sausage meat all wrapped in flour tortillas, so you can start off with an excellent breakfast.
Table of Contents
Leftover homemade breakfast burritos should be kept in an air-tight container. Or, you can leave them covered with plastic wrap on a plate in the fridge. Some reheat burritos in the air fryer. I like to reheat them on a skillet with a small amount of olive oil or unsalted butter on medium-low heat. Another way to reheat burritos is in the air fryer. Using the microwave is not a good idea, they will turn out soggy.
Burritos on there own are a hearty and delicious breakfast. They are filling and don’t require any additional side dishes! We like dipping burritos into hot sauce, salsa like pico de gallo, or sour cream for additional flavors. Wrap them in parchment paper and take them to go!
Now lunch can have fries, and dinner can have a side of roasted potatoes. But breakfast potatoes hit your tongue different in the morning when you season them right. With just a touch of salt and black pepper, you can’t go wrong with adding them to your own breakfast burritos. While sweet potatoes can be an interesting choice, I prefer regular potatoes since their savory and delicious flavor goes best in hearty breakfast burritos. If you like spicy breakfast burritos, the potatoes are the best place to add the spice, whether it’s red pepper flakes, onion powder, or garlic powder. You can improvise all you want and cater to your taste buds!
Breakfast Meal prep
These Potato Breakfast Burritos are the perfect start to your day! Make them the night before and heat them up in the morning for a grab-and-go breakfast. A great way to make them for a big crowd is to place them single layer on a cookie sheet and warm them in the oven until slightly golden brown for the last step.
Freezer Breakfast Burritos!
Yes, you can make the burritos ahead of time, but you don’t have to heat them up in the skillet for the final step. Place the burritos in a freezer-friendly air-tight container or a freezer bag, and they’re good for up to 6 months in the freezer! Next time you need one of those easy breakfasts, these make-ahead breakfast burritos can come out in a pinch.
What You Need to Make Potato Burritos
- Tortillas: I use flour tortillas, you could also use whole wheat or gluten-free tortillas.
- Meat: Ground sausage meat, you could also use ground breakfast sausage meat.
- Potatoes: Cut very thinly or shredded. (No time to cut potatoes? use frozen shredded hash browns.)
- Eggs: large ones.
- Oil: Extra-virgin olive oil.
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste (a couple of pinches of each)
- Cheese: For a creamy center, I use cream cheese.
- Avocado: Optional.
- Tomatoes: Medium size.
- Onion: Red onion, but yellow would work too.
- Herbs: fresh parsley. You could also swap for fresh cilantro.
This is a great recipe to save, for when you need to feed a crowd or need a delicious recipe to make ahead for breakfast.
Other Delicious Egg Breakfast Recipes:
Breakfast is one of my favorite meals of the day, especially during the weekends. Some of my favorite breakfast recipes are:
- Breakfast egg muffins, which are also great to reheat for the week ahead.
- This sweet potatoes breakfast skillet dish is also perfect for a hearty breakfast.
Homemade Breakfast Burritos with Potatoes
- Wooden spoon
- 6 flour tortillas
- 1 lb sausage meat remove from casings, if any
- 3 medium potatoes grated
- 6 large eggs
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 2 medium avocados pitted and diced
- 2-3 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1 small red onion chopped
- fresh parsley chopped
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 Tablespoon olive oil and sausage meat. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer cook meat into a small bowl.3 Tbsp olive oil, 1 lb sausage meat
- Peel and grate 3 medium potatoes.3 medium potatoes
- In the same pan as the sausage add potatoes and cook until golden brown, stirring consistently. Remove potatoes with cooked meat into a small bowl.3 medium potatoes
- In a separate bowl, whisk 6 large eggs and add them to the same pan you used for the potatoes and meat. Season with salt and pepper. Stirring occasionally cook scrambled eggs.6 large eggs, sea salt, black pepper
- Chop 3 medium tomatoes, fresh parsley, 1 red onion, and 2 avocados.2-3 medium tomatoes, 1 small red onion, fresh parsley, 2 medium avocados
- Spread cream cheese over in the center of each flour tortilla.6 flour tortillas, 8 oz cream cheese
- To assemble, place eggs over cream cheese, then place potatoes, meat and veggies.
- Fold the sides of the tortilla, then roll up burrito style. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Heat up a clean medium skillet on medium-low, and warm each tortilla on both sides, until lightly browned.