You don’t need to heat up the grill for these tasty spiced vegan sweet potato patties. Packed with protein and flavor these patties can be enjoyed all year long, not just during the summer.
How long does it take to cook sweet potatoes?
It takes about 45 minutes in the oven to cook sweet potatoes, without cutting them. Place potatoes in the oven at 400F for 45 minutes. Check with a fork to make sure they are soft.
Can I replace white beans to black beans?
Both are great options for fiber and potassium. White beans tend to provide more calcium compared to black beans. You can switch white beans to black beans, or other way around in most recipes, this one included, but keep in mind the color will of the patty will change a little.
Can I make sweet potato patties ahead?
Yes, patties can be made ahead. You can prepare them up until cooking them. Keep the patties in the fridge until ready to cook and serve.
What Can You Serve with Sweet Potato Patties?
These patties make a great vegan option for burger days. But you can easily skip the bun and enjoy as fritters, with your favorite dip. They are already packed with so much vitamins and nutritional ingredients making them filling on there own. Veggie burgers have become more popular and these sweet potato patties are a great option to make your own at home.
What do you need to make sweet potato patties?
Easy to master cooking method with just 4 main ingredients + seasoning.
Main ingredients: Sweet potatoes, a can of white beans, quinoa and oats (you can use gluten-free).
Herbs and seasoning: Green onion, garlic, smoked paprika, chilli pepper, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
To make Sweet potato patties
Just three easy steps.
Prepare: Mix ingredients together.
Form: Mold mixture into a patty.
Cook: You can fry them on a non-stick frying pan with 1 tbsp olive oil for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden. Or you can bake them on a lined, oiled baking sheet at 400 F for about 30 minutes, flipping halfway.
How to make Sweet Potato Patties
Vegan Crispy Sweet Potato Patties
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, roasted; about 2 medium, 1.5 cups when cooked
- ⅓ cup raw quinoa
- 1 can white beans, drained (1 ½ cups of beans)
- ½ cup green onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ⅔ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- In a small saucepan combine the quinoa with 2/3 cups of water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered for about 12 minutes. Remove from the heat and let it stand covered for 10 more minutes.
- Peel the skin from sweet potatoes and place in a large mixing bowl along with the beans. Use a potato masher to mash and mix them really well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and cooked quinoa. Let the mixture stand for 15 min, the oatmeal will absorb the moisture and make the mixture thicker.
- Shape the burgers ½ cup of the mixture into a burger patties, about 4 inches in diameter.
- You can fry them on a non-stick frying pan with 1 tbsp olive oil for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden.