These easy and cheesy mushroom stuffed peppers are the best appetizers or snacks! These nutritious and flavorful bell peppers are full of gooey cheese, mushrooms, and onions, and come together to make a delicious vegetarian dish!
Table of Contents
Why I Love This Recipe for Mushroom Stuffed Peppers
Easy and cheesy, these stuffed peppers will fly off your table! These bell peppers are stuffed with a tasty mushroom mixture, covered with cheese, and baked to perfection in just under five minutes.
This tasty vegetarian appetizer is super simple to make, and you can enjoy it for lunch, a snack, or even dinner. It also has the added benefit of being packed with nutrition!
Bell peppers are packed with Vitamin C – more than even oranges – and mushrooms are one of the best ways to add vitamin D to your diet, especially if you don’t live in sunny areas.
Enjoy this refreshing dish incorporated into your weekly meal plan, or as a treat on football Sunday!
Ingredients for Cheese and Mushroom Stuffed Peppers
These stuffed peppers are made with ingredients that you can find year-round, so enjoy them anytime!
- Oil: I use extra-virgin olive oil, but feel free to use your favorite.
- Mushrooms: People have been eating mushrooms for thousands of years. There are countless varieties, some can only be found in the forest, and others are common ones found at your local grocery store. For this recipe, you don’t need to go into the forest, because the best mushrooms to use here are Button white, Cremini, or Shiitake.
- Onion: Yellow
- Bell peppers: Red, yellow, or orange.
- Provolone cheese: You could also substitute for another cheese, like cheddar or mozzarella, but the taste will be slightly different.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
Instructions To Make These Mushroom Stuffed Pepper Appetizers
Step 1: Preheat and Prep
Preheat the oven to 350F and heat a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a pan.
Step 2: Saute Mushrooms
Add sliced mushrooms to your pan and saute for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Step 3: Add Onion
Add half of the chopped yellow onion to the mushrooms. Saute until the onions are soft and turning translucent.
Step 4: Prep Bell Peppers and Add Mushroom Mixture
Wash and slice 3 bell peppers into three parts. Lay them out on an oven pan and spoon the mushroom and onion mixture into the peppers.
Step 5: Add Cheese
Slice provolone cheese and drape them on top of the mushroom mixture so the inner mix is covered.
Step 6: Bake (and Broil)
Bake until the cheese is completely melted, which should take 4-5 minutes. You can also broil it for one minute to add more of the golden color.
Some recipes call for cooking the peppers first, but for this dish, we want a more sturdy bell pepper. Cooking them will make them softer, but since this is an appetizer we want to hold and retain some structure, we don’t want them soft! This method leaves a little bit of crunch to complement the gooey filling and it’s delicious!
They’re all good and work wonderfully with this recipe! Red bell peppers tend to be a bit sweeter and they pack more of a healthy punch, but I think a variety of colors is best.
You could follow this very recipe, but get creative with your own preferences. Add beans, cheese, salsa, or meat if you want. Even chili would be delicious on these bell peppers!
Related Appetizers to Try
- Creamy, Crispy, and Cheesy Baked Stuffed Mushroom Bites are the perfect handheld app!
- This Mushroom Crostini Recipe is the perfect combination of crunchy toast and meaty mushrooms!
- Dollop this Chicken Bruschetta mix on top of toast for a yummy snack.
- Cream Cheese Filled Bell Peppers is another version of this delicious recipe!
- Try a Creamy Stuffed Mushroom Appetizer for another vegetarian choice!
More Tasty Mushroom Recipes to Make
If you tried this Mushroom Stuffed Peppers Appetizer or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you enjoyed it in the📝 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Mushroom Stuffed Peppers Appetizer
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ lb mushrooms, sliced
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 3 bell peppers, sliced in three parts
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
Heat extra virgin olive oil in a pan.1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Add in sliced mushrooms. Sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper to your taste.½ lb mushrooms,, salt & pepper,
Chop yellow onion. Add to mushrooms. Sauté until the onions are soft.½ yellow onion,
Wash and slice bell peppers into 3 parts. Lay them out on an oven pan.3 bell peppers,
Spoon mushroom and onion mix into sliced bell peppers.
Cut provolone cheese in half and place on top of the mushroom mix.6 slices provolone cheese
Bake until the cheese is completely melted, 4-5 minutes.
- *I also broiled it for a minute to get more of the golden color. (optional)
- Cheddar cheese can be substituted for provolone cheese.
- Garnish with fresh chopped dill or parsley.
- Reheat in the oven until warm.