Why you’ll want to save this Chicken Breast Mushrooms Recipe:
- Easy weeknight dinner
- It comes together in under an hour
- It’s simple yet elegant
- It’s the perfect comfort meal
- Minimal ingredients that you can find at local grocery stores
- Flavorful sauce
You’ll notice there are plenty of chicken recipes on this site. While they’re all unique and delicious, this chicken with mushroom sauce is perhaps the one that has been a family favorite. It’s a dish that appeases adults and children alike. It’s also enjoyed by those who aren’t huge fans of mushrooms.
I’ve made this recipe for years and wouldn’t change a thing. I know many people like adding wine to the sauce, and you could add some. But if it’s not there, you won’t miss it. The half-and-half cream, chicken stock, and onions provide a tremendous flavor.
Ingredients that make Chicken Breast and Mushroom Sauce:
Boneless Chicken Breasts. I find chicken breast is very easy to use. It also doesn’t have added fat like you’d get from chicken thighs. The sauce itself has a good amount of fat.
Butter. I used unsalted, which helps control your salt level. You can also use olive oil.
Mushrooms. I like to use white mushrooms, button mushrooms, baby Bellas or cremini mushrooms. You could buy pre-sliced or slice them yourself. Not too thin that they’ll fall apart, though.
Onions and dill. They add flavor to the cream sauce.
Half and Half. I prefer using half and half to keep the sauce from becoming too thick, but feel free to use heavy cream or coconut milk if you’d like. It all depends on what consistency you prefer.
Chicken stock. (or chicken broth) Adding chicken stock to the sauce gives an additional depth of flavor that goes a long way.
Spices: Salt and black pepper.
Garnish the dish with fresh herbs, like dill or parsley.
How to Cook Chicken Breast
Start by sprinkling salt and pepper on both sides of the chicken. In a heated pan, melt unsalted butter, and brown the chicken breast on each side for 3-4 minutes. Transfer the chicken to an oven-safe pan. In a preheated oven to 350F, bake the chicken breast for 10 minutes.
How to Make Quick Mushroom Sauce in a Pan
Using the pan you seared the chicken in, add chopped onions and sliced mushrooms. Saute for five or so minutes until the onion is transparent in color and the mushrooms begin to brown. Stir in 2 Tablespoons of flour, then blend for 2 minutes. After, pour in 150ml of chicken stock and bring it to a boil. Mix in in 150ml of half and half. On low heat, simmer for three minutes. Add a handful of fresh chopped dill—salt and pepper to taste.
What to serve with Chicken Breast and Mushroom Sauce
You’ll love this comfort dish. It is simple yet so delicious—it pairs well with over rice, cauliflower rice, mashed potatoes, pasta, or quinoa. Or on its own with a side salad.
How to Store Leftovers
This creamy mushroom chicken recipe reheats the next day excellently. Just keep it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. For reheating, add the leftovers in a large skillet, cover the skillet and simmer on low heat till the desired temperature.
No doubt, this will become your new favorite weeknight meal.
Step instructions on how to make Juicy Chicken with Mushroom Sauce
Quick Chicken with an Easy Mushroom Sauce
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tbsp unbleached flour
- 1 handful dill, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 150 ml half and half
- 150 ml chicken stock
- Salt and pepper both sides of the chicken breasts.
- In a pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter, take the foam off.
- On medium heat and with melted butter fry the chicken breasts 3-4 minutes each side. (This is for color.)
- Transfer the chicken to an oven safe pan.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Bake the chicken breast for 10 minutes.
For the sauce:
- In the same pan where you browned the chicken, add in chopped onions and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add in the sliced mushrooms, then stir and fry for 5 minutes with onions.
- Stir in 2 Tablespoons of flour, then let it blend together for 2 minutes.
- Pour in 150ml of chicken stock and bring it to boil.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Stir in 150ml of half and half, mix well.
- On low heat let it sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add in handful of chopped dill.
- Put the chicken back into the pan with the sauce, then put a lid on the pan and let it sauté all together for 2 minutes.
- When serving, you could cut the chicken breasts into slices and pour sauce on top. Enjoy!