The Grilled Eggplant with Tomato and Garlic Parmesan appetizer or side dish is tender, cheesy, and easy to prepare. The delicious slices of eggplant are a great addition to a summer barbecue and a guaranteed crowd-pleaser. The rich and smoky flavor is sure to turn any eggplant hater into a raving fan!
Summer is the season for grilling. Sometimes you want a dish without using the stove or oven on a hot day. During the summer, l like to spend some quality time with my favorite people – my husband and kids! Together, we enjoy BBQ cookouts and I love preparing grilled summer vegetables and fruits like the grilled pineapple slices and this Grilled Eggplant Parmesan with Garlic.
Grilled eggplant is one of my favorite ways to prepare eggplant because it has much flavor. This grilled eggplant with tomato and garlic parmesan recipe is great for summer parties as an appetizer or a side dish. It’s perfect alongside a Chicken and Bell Pepper Rice Bowl as a main course served with spaghetti.
The combination of eggplant and juicy tomatoes topped with garlicky parmesan mayonnaise sauce and garnished with fresh herbs makes for a yummy appetizer made with simple ingredients. This eggplant dish is done in no time making it a great side dish to add to an easy weeknight meal.
Table of Contents
Make in Advance Eggplant and Tomato Appetizer
These yummy bites go with just about anything and can be made in advance. This tasty appetizer has become a family favorite. The golden brown caramelized edges with a soft texture in the center and deliciously charred grill marks make these truly irresistible.
The low-carb roasted eggplant parmesan is best enjoyed during the summer when you can find good quality eggplants and tomatoes at the grocery store or farmers market. I love making recipes like this that I can make after coming home from the farmer’s market. You can enjoy it as a vegetarian main dish, a side dish, or as part of a fun appetizer dinner.
What do I need to make this simple recipe?
Fresh eggplant: These seasonal veggies are the star ingredient of this recipe. You’ll need a medium eggplant for this recipe for more surface area to add the toppings.
Fresh tomatoes: The natural flavor of tomatoes complements the eggplant perfectly.
Parmesan cheese: Use freshly grated parmesan for the best flavor and texture, rather than pre-grated.
Garlic: Only one clove of garlic but it still gives the rich garlicky flavor.
Along with those ingredients, you will need olive oil, mayonnaise, salt, pepper and fresh dill.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
How to Make Easy Grilled Eggplant with Tomato and Garlic Parmesan Appetizer
Step 1: Prepare the grill
- Warm up the outdoor grill, if you don’t have a grill, simply heat up a pan on medium-low.
2: Slice eggplant
- Wash then slice the eggplant discs into thick rounds of about 2-inch slices in thickness.
3: Coat the eggplant slices
- In a bowl, toss sliced eggplant with 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil and a little salt.
4: Grill eggplant
- Place eggplant slices on the hot grill (or pan). Grill each side of the slices for 4 minutes until grill marks form and the eggplant is tender, soft, and slightly golden brown. Then place the layer of eggplant on a platter.
5: Combine the rest of the ingredients
- In a small bowl combine, grated parmesan cheese, mayonnaise, crushed garlic cloves, salt, and a pinch of black pepper.
6: Top eggplant, garnish and serve
- Place a slice of tomato on each grilled slice of eggplant, and then a teaspoon of garlic-parmesan mix and garnish with fresh dill (or parsley). Serve the finished dish warm or cold.
How to store leftover Grilled Eggplant Parmesan with Garlic
- If you have leftover grilled eggplants leave them to room temperature then store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator and enjoy for 1-2 days.
- Freezing is not recommended as the vegetables will become soggy.
- For the best taste and less bitterness get medium eggplants with smooth, firm skin and no soft spots.
- There’s no need to wipe the eggplant with paper towels to remove moisture or bitterness for this recipe.
- If you’d like, you can use fresh parsley or fresh basil instead of fresh dill as they make a good substitution.
- Fresh mozzarella cheese or feta cheese can replace the parmesan cheese, keep in mind the taste will be different.
- These eggplants can be made using a grill pan, or a regular pan (as shown above) but you won’t achieve the exact flavor and smoky taste.
- Use olive oil for a nice rounded flavor for cooking and seasoning. Other oils like vegetable oil or organic canola are also good substitutes.
- Slice eggplant discs and tomatoes into similar-sized rounds.
One eggplant makes 10 appetizer servings for this simple dish. Grilled eggplant with garlic is a great way to enjoy the benefits of this vegetable.
Fresh tomato slices and a garlic-parmesan mixture! These layered ingredients also make a great side to a Simple Butter Stuffed Chicken Breast. This grilled eggplant parmesan is great to serve on a bed of pasta, or you can keep it low-carb by serving it with zoodles or even cauliflower rice.
It’s also easy to pair with all of your favorite potato and veggie side dishes too. You can enjoy this dish with a steak, salad, and garlic bread.
Tomatoes are full of potassium. Around 90% of people in the United States do not eat enough potassium rich foods, and thus results in potassium deficiency. This great recipe with grilled eggplant supports your health in many ways with these ripe tomatoes that are included. Each slice of tomato is beneficial!
More eggplant recipes to make
- The Simple Herb and Eggplant Appetizer with Walnuts is a must-try healthy appetizer.
- The Make Ahead Marinated Eggplant Salad is the perfect vibrant, fresh, and nutritious starter or side dish.
- This Ratatouille with Tomato Sauce is a wonderful dish that features beautifully layered vegetables.
Other Tasty Eggplant Recipes Worth the Time
If you tried this Easy Grilled Eggplant with Tomato and Garlic Parmesan Appetizer or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you enjoyed it in the📝 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Easy Grilled Eggplant with Tomato and Garlic Parmesan Appetizer
- 1 eggplant, sliced
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 cup fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Warm up the grill or a pan.
In a bowl, toss sliced eggplant with 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil and a small pinch of salt.1 eggplant,, 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 1 pinch salt
Place eggplant slices on heated grill pan. Grill each side of the slices for 4 minutes, or until eggplant begins to soften.
In a small bowl combine, combine grated parmesan cheese, mayonnaise, garlic, salt, and a pinch of black pepper.¼ cup parmesan cheese,, 2 Tbsp mayonnaise, 1 pinch salt, 1 clove garlic,, 1 pinch pepper
Place a slice of tomato on each grilled eggplant, and then a teaspoon of garlic-parmesan mix and garnish with fresh parsley or dill.2 medium tomatoes,, 1/8 cup fresh parsley,
- Use a grill or medium size pan to cook the sliced eggplant.
- Don’t cut the eggplant slices to thin, they will fall apart during cooking.
- For a vegan and healthier option, use avocado mayonnaise.
- Keep leftover eggplant side dish in an air tight container for 1-2 days in the refrigerator.
- If olive oil isn’t an option, use avocado oil or organic canola oil instead.