Make Ahead Marinated Eggplant Salad
This make ahead simply marinated eggplant salad with bell peppers salad is vibrant, fresh, and chock full of nutrients. The perfect starter or side, it’s a great change from those boring, routine salads.
If you’re looking for a different kind of salad, something that is zesty, colorful, and full of so many health benefits, this salad is it. It’s a marinated eggplant salad. It’s one of my favorites. And I’m hoping that it will become a favorite of yours too.
I know what you’re thinking. Eggplants in a salad?
My husband was skeptical at first, too. But once he had them, he was all for it. I served it with my famous one-pot chicken and rice – and let me tell you, this dinner was a hit. The beautiful veggies went so well with juicy bites of chicken and the tender pilaf.
It’s a very easy recipe. The toughest part might be waiting. Because these veggies need to be marinated to be so full of flavor.
Making the Marinated Eggplant Salad
Prep and Marinade: First, the eggplants will be sliced and marinated separately. Mix in with salt and leave for about an hour while you mix the remaining vegetables with their marinade (minced garlic and white vinegar).
Fry the eggplants: After the eggplants get a chance to sit and the liquid is drained, you’ll want to fry them. You didn’t think we were adding raw eggplants into this dish, did you? I suppose you could, but frying them and softening them is what brings out the flavors of the eggplant.
This marinated eggplant and bell pepper salad is great for making it ahead since it needs lots of chilling time in the refrigerator.
I would love to know what you serve this salad with. Or if you eat it straight out of the bowl. Why wouldn’t you?
What do I need to make this recipe?
Eggplant gives your body potassium and fiber, supporting the digestive system.
Garlic supports the immune system and provides you with antioxidants.
Bell pepper is rich in vitamin C and vitamin A.
Carrots are rich in beta-carotene, which supports eye health.
Onion helps to reduce cholesterol levels in your body.
Along with those ingredients, you will need salt, black pepper, white vinegar, dill or parsley, and oil.
Here are some more of my top eggplant recipes:
Easy Buffalo Cauliflower with a Homemade Dipping Sauce is perfect as a starter or appetizer to any dinner.
You can learn to make a classic Ratatouille with Tomato Sauce right at home!
Make Ahead Simply Marinated Eggplant Salad with Bell Peppers
- garlic press
- salad bowl
- 1 medium eggplant, cut in thin strips
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp oil, for frying
- ½ cup dill, or parsley, chopped
- Wash eggplant, cut it into long strips, place in a medium sized bowl, add salt and pepper, mix well, and set aside.1 medium eggplant,, 1 Tbsp salt, 1 tsp black pepper
- Meanwhile, thinly slice bell pepper and onion, and place into a different bowl. Grate carrots and add to the same bowl. Then add minced garlic cloves. Add white vinegar, mix the vegetables until they all are coated in vinegar. Cover the bowl and set aside.1 bell pepper,, 2 medium carrots,, 1 small onion,, 2-3 cloves garlic,, 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- Leave the vegetables for at least 1 hour before putting the salad together.
- In 1 hour, drain the eggplants. Use your hands to squeeze the liquid out. Squeeze out as much as you can.1 medium eggplant,
- In a large skillet, heat two tablespoons of oil and fry eggplants over medium high heat for 7 minutes until soft and golden brown.1 medium eggplant,, 2 Tbsp oil,
- Place the fried eggplants into the bowl with the rest of the vegetables, mix carefully, add in chopped herbs, and mix again.½ cup dill,
- Cover the bowl and put in the fridge for at least 2 hours before serving for all the flavors from vegetables to blend together. The longer it stands the better it tastes.
- In 2-4 hours transfer the salad into a serving bowl and enjoy this delicious vegan dish!