The delicious and healthy Chicken with Mushrooms in Tomato Sauce is an easy recipe and a super simple dinner meal. The juicy, boneless, skinless, and tender chicken thighs are sautéed with savory mushrooms, fresh tomatoes, and onion resulting in an aromatic chicken dish with great flavors.
Lean meats such as fish recipes and chicken recipes make the best healthy and tasty dishes. This is one of my favorite recipes because it’s super easy yet filled with much flavor.
The amazing Chicken with Mushrooms in Tomato Sauce is the perfect recipe for a weeknight dinner. I like to jazz up the chicken with mushrooms for a quick weeknight meal.
Why you’ll love this chicken recipe
- Minimal effort is required: The detailed instructions will show that you just need to sauté, stir, simmer, and serve your scrumptious chicken dish filled with delicious flavors in one pot.
- It’s an easy dinner recipe for busy weeknights: This healthy chicken and mushroom recipe is another way you can turn chicken into a meal within a cooking time of under 30 minutes.
- Made with a simple combination of ingredients: You already have all the ingredients in this recipe or can easily find them at any grocery store.
Chicken with Mushrooms in Tomato Sauce Ingredients:
Chicken thighs: Use boneless skinless chicken thighs because they are easier to work with in this recipe. Cut any fat off the chicken thighs. You could substitute for skinless chicken breasts, but it may be a little too chewy.
Olive oil: To saute the chicken and vegetables.
Onion: Yellow and not the sweet kind. Yellow onions add a unique flavor and texture to this recipe.
Mushrooms: I use white mushrooms or button mushrooms. They have a firm texture and slightly sweet flavor.
Fresh tomatoes: Use the red ones on the vine or sweet tomatoes like heirlooms which are less seedy. They add vibrant color and amazing flavor to the chicken dish.
Salt and Black Pepper: To enhance the flavors of this recipe.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
How to Make the Chicken, Mushrooms, and Tomatoes Recipe
1: Prepare the chicken
- Cut any fat off the chicken thighs then cut it into smaller pieces. Season chicken with salt and black pepper.
2: Brown the chicken
- Melt unsalted butter in a pan or a pot on medium-high heat then sauté chicken for 5 minutes. It should start to get that nice golden brown color.
3: Add onions
- Add olive oil and onions to the chicken pieces then sauté for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally with the browned bits of chicken on the bottom of the pan.
4: Add the rest of the veggies
- Add sliced mushrooms and diced tomatoes then sauté for 15 minutes on medium-low heat.
5: Stir then season
- Stir a couple of times until the mushrooms have softened and the tomatoes have broken down then add salt and pepper to taste.
6: Simmer then serve warm
- Cover the pan, turn the heat on lowest, and let it simmer for another 5 minutes. Turn chicken to coat with sauce then serve warm.
- Use a wide, heavy-bottomed pan to ensure even cooking and avoid crowding. A cast iron pan works best.
- Cook the mushrooms without stirring too often so they become nicely caramelized.
- Olive oil adds a great flavor to this dish. You can substitute with avocado oil if you don’t have any olive oil on hand.
- If you don’t have mushrooms, substitute them for zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, or sweet peppers!
Button mushrooms, cremini, or shiitake mushrooms all work well; choose your favorite.
This easy dinner dish is perfect for meal prep too! You can make a week’s worth of this skillet dish and separate into multi-use containers.
It pairs wonderfully with pasta, rice, or even crusty bread to soak up the sauce.
Yes, you can but l don’t recommend it. Chicken cutlets may turn out dry and be a little too chewy for this recipe.
I used button mushrooms or white mushrooms but you can use any kind of mushrooms that you like. You can use shiitake mushrooms, cremini mushrooms, or baby bella mushrooms.
Looking for more tasty chicken recipes? Enjoy these dinner meals:
The amazing Creamy and Quick Dinner Spaghetti with Beef and Mushroom Sauce comes together quickly and is one of my favorite recipes.
You can learn the Best Way to Make Chicken in a Creamy Mushroom Sauce which is par with the ones you’d find in high-end restaurants.
The Miso Mushroom Vegetable Soup with Chicken is a must-try soup with much flavor which satisfies cravings too.
Check Out These Other Mushroom Recipes:
If you tried this Chicken with Mushrooms in Tomato Sauce or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you enjoyed it in the📝 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Chicken with Mushrooms in Tomato Sauce
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 lb chicken thighs, boneless & skinless
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 10 oz mushrooms, sliced (any kind you like)
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
Melt butter in a pan or a pot.1 Tbsp unsalted butter
Cut any fat off the chicken thighs. Cut chicken into smaller pieces and combine with salt and black pepper.1 lb chicken thighs,, salt,, pepper,
Sauté chicken for 5 minutes. It should start to get that nice brown color.
Add extra virgin olive oil and the yellow onion. Sauté for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, ½ yellow onion,
Add in the sliced mushrooms and chopped tomatoes.10 oz mushrooms,, 2 large tomatoes,
Sauté for 15 minutes on medium-low.
Stir it occasionally, then add salt and pepper to taste.salt,, pepper,
Cover pan, turn heat on lowest, and let it simmer for another 5 minutes.