Made with ingredients you can easily find at most any grocery store, or already have. Chicken with mushrooms is made with boneless skinless chicken thighs, so it’s not dry like if you would use chicken breasts. It is spiced with pantry stapled salt and pepper cooked on olive oil.
This healthy chicken and mushroom recipe is another way you can turn chicken into a great weeknight meal in under 30 minutes, which is filled with delicious flavors! I like to jazz up the chicken with mushrooms for a quick weeknight meal.
Chicken with Mushrooms in Tomato Sauce Ingredients:
Chicken thighs: Should be boneless and skinless. It’s easier to work within this recipe. You could substitute for chicken breast, but it may be a little too chewy. Cut any fat off the chicken thighs.
Olive oil: For the saute.
Onion: Yellow and not the sweet kind.
Mushrooms: You can use any kind of mushrooms that you like. Most of the time I like to use white mushrooms, shitake mushrooms or cremini mushrooms.
Tomatoes: Red ones on the vine or heirloom.
Salt and Black Pepper: For the flavors.
Looking for more tasty recipes? Enjoy these dinner meals:
This Creamy and Quick Dinner Spaghetti with Beef and Mushroom Sauce is an amazing meal!
You can learn the Best Way to Make Chicken in a Creamy Mushroom Sauce!
Chicken with Mushrooms in Tomato Sauce
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 lb chicken thighs, boneless & skinless
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 10 oz mushrooms, sliced (any kind you like)
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Melt 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter in a pan or a pot.
- Cut any fat off the 1 pound of chicken thighs. Cut chicken into smaller pieces and combine with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
- Sauté chicken for 5 minutes. It should start to get that nice brown color.
- Add 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, and chopped 1/2 yellow onion. Sauté for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add 10 ounces sliced mushrooms and 2 large chopped tomatoes.
- Sauté for 15 minutes on medium-low.
- Stir it occasionally, then add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover pan, turn heat on lowest, and let it simmer for another 5 minutes.