Create this easy cauliflower and chickpea curry packed with butternut squash, tomatoes, and hearty chickpeas! Flavor it with classic curry spices and accent the sweet flavors of coconut milk! This curry is perfect draped over a bed of brown rice.
Table of Contents
Why I Love This Recipe for Cauliflower and Chickpea Curry
I love a comfort food vegetable and curry combination! Take a small detour away from soup. Make a more traditional Indian food curry to enjoy over a bed of basmati rice or with a crusty slice of bread.
From cauliflower to butternut squash, and two types of tomatoes, this curry is bursting with veggies that’ll delight your taste buds. To add more flavor and texture, I included chickpeas in this recipe instead of meat. Chickpeas are the perfect complement to the earthy flavor of the curry sauce!
You can enjoy this super flavorful and healthy meal as a quick weeknight dinner. Use it for meal prep ahead of time to make it even simpler to throw together. Either way, this easy curry dish is going to add spice to your life!
Vegetables – Cauliflower, butternut squash, yellow onion.
Chickpeas – rinsed and drained.
Tomatoes – Cherry tomatoes (halved), a can of diced tomatoes.
Coconut Milk and Vegetable Broth
Olive oil– extra virgin
Garlic – Five cloves.
Seasonings – Curry powder, turmeric powder, ground cumin, ground paprika, chili powder, salt.
Lime – Juice of half of the lime.
Garnish – Fresh cilantro or fresh parsley.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
Step By Step Instructions To Make Easy Cauliflower and Chickpea Curry
Step 1: Saute Onions and Garlic
Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add your chopped onions and chopped garlic. Sauté until the onions are softened.
Step 2: Add Spices
Add all the spices and cook for about 20 seconds, stirring constantly.
Step 3: Add Canned Tomatoes
Add the canned tomatoes. Then stir and let the mixture cook for a few minutes.
Step 4: Add Liquid
Add the coconut milk and vegetable broth, and then cook for about 10-15 minutes with a lid on top.
Step 5: Cauliflower and Butternut Squash
Add the cauliflower florets and diced butternut squash to the pan.
Step 6: Add Chickpeas and Cherry Tomatoes
Add the drained and rinsed chickpeas and halved cherry tomatoes. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
Step 7: Garnish
Garnish your curry with fresh cilantro or parsley. Enjoy on its own, over a bed of rice, or with freshly baked bread!
- Use this cauliflower and chickpea curry for meal prep during the week. Pair with basmati and grilled chicken for the ultimate flavor-filled gluten free meal!
- Use canned chickpeas to make prep for this recipe super easy. You can find them in the grocery stores often labeled as garbanzo beans.
- Serve cauliflower and chickpea curry with a delicious recipe of garlic naan bread! Pair with grilled lamb chops for a delicious weeknight dinner for the family.
- When in doubt, use full fat coconut milk for the most amazing flavors infused into this curry!
Curry is an Indian sauce/gravy. It’s spiced with flavors like turmeric, cumin, paprika, and curry powder, of course! Curry is generally cooked with meat or vegetables.
Yes, you can! Allow your curry to cool completely and hold off on adding the garnish. Freeze your curry in an airtight container for up to a month. Rewarm on the stove and then garnish when you’re ready to serve.
To prepare the butternut squash, cut it in half and peel the skin off. Scoop out the seeds (discard them), and then chop it up into chunks. It doesn’t have to be perfect.
Curry is delicious over a bed of jasmine rice (or the rice of your choice!) or scooped up on a piece of crusty bread.
More Recipes To Try
- Easy Roasted Okra is a delicious veggie appetizer. Make it as a side that comes with its own Simple Yogurt Dipping Sauce recipe!
- Want a protein-filled dinner option? These Roasted Cornish Hens Stuffed with Vegetables make such a nourishing dinner option!If you’re craving more Indian cuisine flavors, try my recipe for a homemade Simple Indian Butter Chicken Dish.
More delicious cauliflower recipes
If you tried this Cauliflower and Chickpea Curry or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you enjoyed it in the📝 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Easy Cauliflower and Chickpea Curry with Butternut Squash and Tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1½ Tbsp curry powder
- ½ tsp ground paprika
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ Tbsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ⅓ tsp turmeric powder
- 14oz can diced tomatoes
- ½ head head cauliflower
- 1½ cups butternut squash peeled and cubed
- 14oz can coconut milk
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes halved
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 14oz can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- ½ lime only the juice
- 1 handful cilantro or parsley fresh for garnish, chopped
Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add chopped onions and chopped garlic and sauté until the onions are softened.1 Tbsp olive oil, 1 yellow onion, 5 cloves garlic
Add spices and cook for around 20 seconds, stirring constantly.1½ Tbsp curry powder, ½ tsp ground paprika, ½ tsp chili powder, 1 tsp ground cumin, ½ Tbsp salt, 1 tsp black pepper, ⅓ tsp turmeric powder
Add the canned tomatoes, stir and let cook for a few minutes.14oz can diced tomatoes
Add cauliflower florets and diced butternut squash to the pan.½ head head cauliflower, 1½ cups butternut squash
Add the coconut milk, lime juice, and vegetable broth, cook with a lid on, for about 15-20 minutes (or until squash is soft.14oz can coconut milk, ½ cup vegetable broth, ½ lime
Add chickpeas and halved cherry tomatoes. Cook for a further 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.½ Tbsp salt, ½ cup cherry tomatoes, 14oz can chickpeas, 1 tsp black pepper
Garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley.1 handful cilantro or parsley
- If you want your curry on the creamier side, use canned coconut cream in place of coconut milk.
- Add additional salt and pepper to taste at the end.