What are Cornish hens? Cornish hens are a particular breed of chicken that were developed in England, named Cornish after Cornwall. A Cornish hen is a small bird that makes a delicious roast chicken.
How long does it take to cook Cornish hens? Cornish hens roast for 1 hour and 15 minutes, then broil for an additional 5 minutes to make
How to season Cornish hens? You can season hens with any of your favorite seasonings you like. For this recipe, these Cornish hens are seasoned with poultry seasoning from Trader Joe’s, salt and black pepper, basil, lemon juice, and garlic. All of these savory seasonings and flavors combine to make a a regular chicken into a delicious creation! The cavity of the hens is also filled with various vegetables that add flavor.
Roasted Cornish Hens Stuffed with Vegetables
- cutting board
- baking sheet
- 2 stick celery, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 juiced lemon, freshly squeezed
- 1 small handful basil, fresh, chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning, I use 21 seasoning salt from Trader Joe's
- 2 cornish hens
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Prepare an oven sheet with a rack.
- Dice 2 celery sticks, 1 red bell pepper, and 1/2 onion.
- In a bowl mix chopped fresh basil, juice of 1 lemon, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, minced garlic clove, and 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning. (link at bottom for the trader joe’s seasoning.) Mix it well together.
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil on the hen and spread it all around.
- Stuff hens with chopped vegetables.
- Rub the seasoning mix all over the hens.
- Place in the oven for 1 hour 15 minutes.
- I broiled the last 5 minutes for the color.