This traditional Russian One Pot Chicken and Rice Recipe (aka Pilaf or Plov) is an amazing and savory one-pot meal with rice, chicken, onions and carrots. I hope you enjoy it! This chicken recipe has been passed down from relatives. I used to eat this a lot as a child. It’s just a great easy dinner meal all in one pot.
One of the most popular chicken recipes on my site is this Chicken with Rice in One Pot. We officially call this “Pilaf” or Plov. It’s a family favorite recipe that is part of the Russian Cuisine. If you search it up on the internet, you will find countless ways to make pilaf using different kinds of meat, spices, and methods.
This recipe of chicken with rice in one pot is one of the easiest, it’s great for lunch with a side of salad. It also reheats very well.
Plov is a recipe that is passed down through generations and makes a great dish for gatherings. Traditionally it’s made with lamb and is cooked in a huge cooking cast-iron vessel over a fire. But throughout the years, we have learned to bring plov to cook on the stove for an easier and simpler solution.
Table of Contents
What you will need to make Chicken with Rice in One Pot
- Chicken: Chicken thighs, skinless, and boneless is best. The chicken breast would be too dry for plov since the meat cooks for a while.
- Oil: I use extra-virgin olive oil, but you can use your favorite oil here. Onion: Yellow and not the sweet kind.
- Carrots: You can leave the skin on if using organic carrots, but if you are going for the presentation and not only the taste, peel the carrots.
- Garlic: Brings out more flavor.
- Rice: I use basmati rice for this plov recipe.
- Water: For rice.
- Salt and Pepper to season.
Looking for more one-pot recipes? Here are some top ones from the blog:
This Simple One Pot Cauliflower Soup with Cheese is a tasty comfort food!
You’ll love this All in One Pot Winter Squash Soup! It’s a delicious soup that’s rich and nutritious.
Best One Pot Chicken and Rice Recipe (Chicken Pilaf or Plov)
- 1 lb chicken thighs, boneless & skinless
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped or grated
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, whole
- 1½ cup rice, rinsed (I used basmati)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 cups water
- Cut chicken thighs into smaller pieces.1 lb chicken thighs,
- In a medium-sized pot or a shallow pan heat extra virgin olive oil.¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Place chicken thigh pieces into the heating oil. Add in a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté for 7 minutes.1 lb chicken thighs,, salt,, pepper,
- Chop the onion and add to the chicken. Sauté for another 3 minutes.1 onion,
- Chop or grate carrots and add to the onion. Turn the heat down to the lowest.3 carrots,, 1 onion,
- Peel garlic and add to the chicken. (You can take the garlic out after cooking, if you don’t like to eat it).2 cloves garlic,
- Add 2 cups of water.2 cups water
- Taste the water! This is where you want to make sure you have enough seasoning. I added salt and pepper. Add to your own taste.salt,, pepper,
- Wash 1 1/2 cups of rice. Using a strainer was the rice until the water pours clear.1½ cup rice,
- Add the rice to the chicken, and don’t stir.
- Cover the pot and let it simmer for 30 minutes. Give it a gentle stir and simmer for another 10 minutes. There should be no water left when it is done.