This recipe is a no-hassle method for gluten-free tortilla chips. Feel free to bring the dip and crunch away on this fresh and tasty snack which is baked to perfection. It will definitely satisfy your salty, savory cravings.
Table of Contents
Gluten-Free Tortilla Chips are the ultimate party snack!
Fridays are for parties. When I hear the word “party” my mind automatically starts thinking of food. If the party’s at my house, then what should the menu look like? If the party is somewhere else, what should I take?
The common denominator to both those questions is chips. Specifically, gluten-free tortilla chips that everyone can enjoy. They are a great way to bring everyone together.
Crunchy corn chip snacks (or flour tortilla chips) may be popular, but they’re not always inclusive of people with Celiac disease, a wheat allergy, non-celiac gluten sensitivity (or other gluten-related disorders), or those who choose to be on a gluten-free diet.
So that’s where these homemade tortilla chips come in handy! With simple ingredients, you can make your own flavors of classic tortilla chips without gluten. Using corn tortillas not only results in Mexican restaurant-style chips but also means these are gluten-free and hearty.
Homemade keto tortilla chips are super easy to make
You could grab a bag from your local grocery store. I guess. Or, you could bake them at home. You should bake them at home. This way, you know exactly what’s going in. Making your own tortilla chips will give you a great sense of accomplishment and satisfaction.
And I’m not telling you to spend hours in the kitchen for them. Nope. I’m all about convenience. Especially when it comes to party food! Why not make these homemade corn tortilla chips with irresistible flavor and delightful crunch?
This gluten-free tortilla chip recipe will take a whopping 16 minutes. No, that wasn’t a typo. And they aren’t labor intensive either. Why spend 1-2 hours with a time-consuming recipe? I’ve got a shortcut for you. You’re not making the tortillas yourself! I’ll give you a minute to let out a sigh of relief.
You’re skipping all the mixing, kneading, and rolling. You don’t need a tortilla press. You don’t even need to turn on the stove.
Instead, grab your favorite gluten-free corn chips from the store. Most brands have a gluten-free tortilla option among the flour tortillas in the Mexican food aisle of the grocery store. I prefer brands with high-quality ingredients and no artificial flavors.
Most of these store-bought chips will have certified gluten-free information around the nutrition label so you know that you’re getting wholesome ingredients in that ingredient list.
You’ll want to cut the tortillas into wedges. Sprinkle your baking sheets with extra virgin olive oil and sea salt. Spread the tortilla chips onto the sheets. Sprinkle some more EVOO or avocado oil and sea salt on the chips.
Bake for 8 minutes. Turn the sheets around. Bake for another 8 minutes. And you’re done, with a better chip ready to be enjoyed. You get crispy, perfectly salted gluten-free tortilla chips that’ll wow your guests!
- Package of tortillas: Make sure these are certified gluten-free flour or corn tortillas by reading the ingredients on the package. I like to use these gluten-free flour tortillas.
- Sea salt: to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil: To coat the chips, add moisture and a pop of flavor.
- Lime wedges: The light, fresh flavor of lime juice makes the homemade corn tortillas irresistible, this will also helps the salt to stick.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
How to make gluten-free tortilla chips
1: Preheat oven
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
2: Cut tortillas
- Unpack the tortillas. On a cutting board, stack about 4 tortillas on top of each other, and with a pizza slicer, cut the tortillas into 6 different triangle shapes, do this by cutting into half first, then cutting each half into three equal-sized pieces
3: Prepare the baking sheet
- Take two long oven sheets and drizzle them with extra virgin olive oil. (do it on parchment paper if using it) Sprinkle sea salt on the baking sheet.
4: Drizzle on and season the tortilla
- Spread out the tortilla slices onto the two sheets in a single layer. On top of the slices, drizzle extra virgin olive oil, squeeze the lime juice from the lime wedges, and sprinkle some sea salt. Brush the tortilla chips to spread out the olive oil.
5: Bake tortillas
- Bake for 8 minutes, then turn the baking sheets around and bake for another 8 minutes until golden brown. Thoroughly brush or spray the pieces with oil, then sprinkle the salt over the tortillas.
6: Cool and serve
- Once done, remove the chips from the oven. Cool the chips completely on a plate with a paper towel. Then serve the cooked tortilla with salsa, guac, or snack on them plain.
How to store leftover gluten-free flour tortillas
Store leftovers in an airtight container or Ziploc bag at room temperature for up to three days.
- The best way to cut the tortillas into equal-sized pieces of wedges is to use a pizza cutter
- Closely watch the chips in the oven while baking to ensure they don’t burn.
- Arrange the tortillas in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Make sure they don’t overlap, or they will stick together. Spreading them also gives them enough room to become crispy.
Tortillas are thin flatbreads usually made from either corn or wheat flour. They are a staple in Mexican cuisine. Corn tortillas have a lot of flavor and texture and tend to be small. Tortilla chips and tacos are usually made with corn tortillas. Flour tortillas are larger and best for burritos, fajitas, and quesadillas.
You can use either of them, it all comes down to preference as there isn’t much of a noticeable difference in flavor. Yellow corn tortillas have a stronger corn flavor, whereas white tortillas have an almost earthy, nutty flavor when baked.
Pair your own gluten-free tortilla chips with this out-of-the-world homemade guacamole. The ultimate duo, additionally you can serve it with artichoke dip, Ranch dip, or taco dip
Some Mexican cuisines that you can make:
The Fish Tacos with an Easy Spicy Dipping Sauce is perfect for summer picnics
This Quick and Easy Chicken Soup with Tortillas is flavorful, authentic, chunky, and perfectly spiced
Mexican Cobb Salad with Chicken and BBQ Ranch Dressing is the perfect main dish for summer.
Other Tasty Snacks to Try
If you tried this Simple Homemade and Gluten Free Tortilla Chips or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and leave your 📝 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Simple Homemade and Gluten Free Tortilla Chips
- 1 package tortillas, wraps, gluten-free
- sea salt, to taste
- extra virgin olive oil
- lime wedges
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
Unpack the tortillas. On a cutting board, stack the tortillas and with a pizza slicer then cut the tortillas in 8 different triangle shapes.1 package tortillas,
Take two long oven sheets and drizzle them with extra virgin olive oil.extra virgin olive oil
Sprinkle sea salt on the baking sheet.sea salt,
Spread out the tortilla slices onto the two sheets.
On top of the slices, drizzle extra virgin olive oil, squeeze the lime wedges and sprinkle some sea salt. Brush the tortilla chips to spread out the olive oil. Bake for 8 minutes, then turn the baking sheets around and bake for another 8 minutes.lime wedges
Once done, serve with salsa, guac or snack on them plain!
- Use a pizza cutter or sharp knife to cut a stack of tortillas at a time.
- Make sure the tortillas are spread out and not touching each other on the baking sheet, so they all get crispy.