This delicious Mexican Cobb salad came to be after a lovely family hosted my husband and I for a delicious lunch. They made a salad. And it combined ranch and BBQ.
I was confused. I had no idea how ranch and BBQ could come together and be… tasty. But boy was it tasty. It was absolutely delicious! And since that short visit, I’ve been wanting to recreate this recipe. So I did. And now, I’m so excited I get to share it with all of you! If you’re stuck at home during the coronavirus pandemic, this is a great salad that keeps you full and is loaded with many different flavors that combine amazingly in your mouth while providing you with so much necessary nutrition.
Ingredients for Mexican Cobb Salad
This salad is loaded with nutritional benefits. So grab your forks and get ready to dig in. Because not only are you getting a healthy dose of vitamins and minerals, you’re getting so many delicious flavors.
Chicken helps to build muscles and supports heart health.
Romaine Lettuce contains vitamins C and K, supporting cell function.
Tomatoes supply you with potassium, which helps to regulate fluid balance.
Corn gives you B vitamins, which help to reduce fatigue.
Black beans support a healthy digestive system.
Red onion contains quercetin, which protects against cancer.
Along with those ingredients, you will need:
Oil: I prefer to use olive oil, it’s to cook the chicken breast.
Salt and black pepper to bring out flavors.
Cheese: Monterey pepper jack cheese, cheddar cheese is also a great option (you can easily substitute for your favorite)
Bbq Ranch Dressing: bbq sauce and ranch
Tips and Substitutes
Cobb salads are my favorite. Whether it’s combined with Mexican flavors or just a traditional cobb salad, or a chicken classic cobb salad. They can be enjoyed all year long. My favorite part about cobb salads is you can add on more fresh ingredients or what’s in season and there’s not a bunch of leftover ingredients. It’s best to eat all organic foods. Here are some tips on choosing from the labels at the grocery store.
My favorite add-ons:
- Fresh avocado
- A hint of lemon juice
- Herbs, like cilantro or parsley
- Persian cucumbers
- Hard boiled-egg
- Fresh from the garden green onions
- During the summer months, substitute canned corn for cooked or grilled fresh corn
Can I substitute cherry tomatoes? Yes! Roma tomatoes or grape tomatoes are great options.
Can I substitute chicken with rotisserie chicken? For sure! If you have some leftover chicken or you just don’t want to cook your own, feel free to use a rotisserie chicken from the grocery stores.
How do I store leftovers? If the salad is mixed with the dressing, it’s better not to store it. It will get soggy and not good. But if you would like to make it ahead of time, keep it in an airtight container with the dressing separate, until ready to serve.
Steps to make a Mexican Cobb Salad with Chicken and BBQ Ranch Dressing
Mexican Cobb Salad with Chicken and BBQ Ranch Dressing
- ½ Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 chicken breast, boneless & skinless
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 cup romaine lettuce, chopped
- 7 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 8 oz corn, canned
- 8 oz black beans, canned, unsalted
- ¼ red onion, diced
- ¼ cup Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 Tbsp ranch
- 1 Tbsp BBQ sauce
- Heat 1/2 Tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat.
- Season 1 chicken breast, both sides with salt and pepper. Add to the heated skillet and cook through for 4 minutes on each side and get the golden brown color. et aside to cool.
- Place chopped romaine lettuce in a large bowl. Add sliced cherry tomatoes. Add diced 1/4 red onion.
- Drain 1 can of corn and black beans and add to the salad bowl.
- Dice the chicken breast into bite-size pieces and also add to the salad.
- Add grated 1/4 cup cheese to the salad.
- Dressing:In a small bowl whisk 2 Tablespoon ranch and 1 Tablespoon of bbq sauce together.Drizzle over the salad.