Layered Chicken Salad with Pomegranate
Any salad is only elevated when you use pomegranate in it. In a layered chicken salad, pomegranate grains go on top of the salad like in this recipe.
Pomegranate chicken salad can be a side dish to Roasted Cornish Hens Stuffed with Vegetables and Easy Soft Dinner Rolls Recipe in a Bread Machine. The combination of these three dishes makes an easy base to a meal on the holiday table.
Break open a pomegranate and remove the seeds. Put those seeds in a bowl and once it’s ready, and press them into the top layer of this hearty salad once the rest of the layers have been created. Here is a video tutorial on how to remove pomegranate seeds to use for this layered chicken salad and more.
For this layered salad, I recommend making it the day you plan to eat it, about 4 hours in advance.
Don’t miss out on putting together this winter easy to make layered pomegranate chicken salad recipe. It makes a beautiful addition to a holiday dinner. It’s layered with tender chicken and plenty of vegetables. The walnuts add a great crunch and complement the salad well.
Table of Contents
This winter, a pomegranate salad comes your way!
Winter salads may not be as common as winter soups, but there’s no reason to miss out on these beneficial meals and sides at the dinner table. This pomegranate chicken salad is perfectly in season this time of year and brings the great combination of protein and fruits to your plate! Also, it’s served in a fun Christmas-esque formation: a wreath. Occasionally it’s made in the shape of a heart, but a great way to celebrate this holiday season would be to put it in a wreath shape. No matter the shape, this salad supports a lifestyle of healthy eating. The main ingredients are fruit, veggies, and protein.
Pomegranates are in peak season through fall and winter, giving that sweet-tart taste with loads of benefits! This fruit contains potassium which supports your heart and muscles, as well as antioxidants which boost your immune system. Pomegranates are rich in vitamin C and fiber, protecting your cells and supporting your digestive system.
Along with chicken and pomegranates, this salad contains a lot of filling boiled vegetables. We have beets, carrots, and potato, all perfectly balancing their flavors with the sweetness of the pomegranate. Along with those ingredients, you’ll need walnuts, hard-boiled eggs, mayonnaise, and garlic cloves. I can’t wait for you to bring out the amazing taste in each of these ingredients, combined all together!
All of these ingredients can be found at grocery stores. I enjoy recipes that have easy to find and easy to put together ingredients. Whether you have it as a side dish or a main dish, this beautiful layered salad
Ingredients to Make the Layered Chicken Salad with Pomegranate
Before you can put this nutritious salad together, you need to cook some of the ingredients.
Chicken breast: Fill a small pot with water, a pinch of salt, and the chicken breast. Bring to a boil and cook for 15-20 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked through. You can definitely use meat from a rotisserie chicken instead. This is a low-calorie part of the chicken, but high in protein.
Vegetables: In a separate pot, place the following ingredients:
Carrots: A great layer of vitamin A, so why not.
Beet: Use a red one, it makes up the presentation of this chicken salad and adds a sweet flavor.
Potato: I like to use the yellow boiled potatoes because they have a smooth, buttery texture.
Fill water until it covers all the vegetables. Cook for an hour, or until fork-tender.
Boil the eggs: In a small saucepan or pot, boil chicken eggs until cooked. Place in cold water to cool off and for easy peeling.
Dice the onion: Saute a yellow onion with a Tablespoon of unsalted butter until the onion is clear and tender.
Chop the Walnuts: Adds a great crunch to the layered salad.
Pomegranate seeds: Grab it fresh while in season! Pomegranate arils make a great addition to any dish in the winter. They are filled with nutritional benefits and add a sweet, crunchy flavor.
Mayonnaise: No need for any other dressing! The mayonnaise makes each layer creamy and flavorful.
Garlic: Minced. Just one clove of garlic makes a difference and adds a kick of flavor. Salt and pepper to taste.
Prepping the ingredients: After eggs and vegetables are cooked and cooled down, grate each ingredient and place each separately. Shred the chicken breast.
Here are more healthy salads to enjoy this winter:
A Healthy Cobb Salad with The Best Vinaigrette is a delicious salad to enjoy any time of year.
The salad ingredients in this Rainbow Winter Salad with Walnut Orange Vinaigrette make a tasty combination!
This Simple Traditional Herring Salad with Layered Vegetables is the classically labeled Slavic “fur coat” salad!
Layered Chicken Salad with Pomegranate
- Serving plate
- 1 chicken breast, cooked & shredded
- 1 red beet, boiled soft, peeled, & grated
- 1 large potato, boiled soft, peeled, & grated
- 2 medium carrots, boiled soft, peeled, & grated
- 2 large eggs, hard boiled & grated
- ½ yellow onion, chopped for sauteing
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pomegranate, seeds removed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, for sauteing
First prepare all the ingredients before putting the salad together.
- In a small pot filled with water, boil the chicken breast for 15- 20 minutes.1 chicken breast,
- In a different pot boil 1 red beet, 1 large potato, and 2 medium carrots. Boil until vegetables are soft (15-20 minutes.)1 red beet,, 1 large potato,, 2 medium carrots,
- In a a small pot boil eggs for 10 minutes, then put them in cold water. (This will help you peel them faster.)2 large eggs,
- Chop 1/2 a yellow onion. Sauté in a pan with 1 Tablespoon of unsalted butter until soft.½ yellow onion,, 1 Tbsp unsalted butter,
- Mince a clove of garlic.1 cloves garlic,
- Chop or blend 1/4 cup of walnuts.¼ cup walnuts,
- Break the pomegranate and take the seeds out.1 pomegranate,
- After the boiled ingredients have cooked and cooled down, grate ingredients on a small-sized grater. Shred the chicken breast into small pieces. Put each ingredient separate from the others.
Putting the Pomegranate Wreath Salad together:
- Place a cup upside down in the middle of a lunch plate.
- Put shredded chicken on around the cup. Add a pinch of salt and a gently spread a tablespoon of mayonnaise.
- Add grated carrots on top of the chicken. Spread 1 Tablespoon of mayonnaise gently.
- Next, add the grated potato. A pinch of salt and pepper, and 1 Tablespoon of mayonnaise.
- Sprinkle with ⅓ of the chopped walnuts.
- Add half of grated beets, and half of the walnuts that are left.
- Add the sautéd onions and minced garlic and another pinch of salt and pepper.
- The rest of the chicken goes on top of the onion, plus a pinch of salt, pepper, and 1 Tablespoon of mayonnaise.
- On top of that, add the shredded eggs. Then the rest of the beets.
- Spread 2-3 Tablespoon of mayonnaise to cover everything.
- Carefully take out the cup.
- Put pomegranate all over the cake.
- It is ready to be sliced and served!