Chili Garlic Shrimp Stir Fry with Soy Sauce
This shrimp stir fry is a simple weeknight dinner staple that’s bursting with garlic and soy sauce flavor! Just fry your shrimp alongside veggies and you’ve got yourself a healthy meal in just under 30 minutes.
Table of Contents
Why I Love This Recipe For Garlic Shrimp Stir Fry
This shrimp stir fry is such a great weeknight dinner to throw together and slide on the table within 15 minutes! Stir frying is such a simple method and there’s minimal clean-up!
For this shrimp stir fry, you’ll essentially throw everything in the skillet and then enjoy. This meal has fresh and juicy seafood, crisp vegetables, and a delightful garlic sauce that envelopes the meal in flavor. Plus, it’s extremely customizable because you can add more vegetables to suit your preferences and bulk up the veggie content!
Throw your stir fry over white rice, noodles, or just enjoy it on its own. There’s no downside to whipping up this quick and healthy meal!
Key Ingredients For Stir Fry and Garlic Sauce
For this shrimp stir fry we’re going to have two components: the food and the sauce. The ingredients you’ll need to make the shrimp and vegetables are as follows:
Shrimp – peeled and deveined
Vegetables – broccoli, red bell pepper, and yellow bell pepper
Oil – olive and sesame
Seasonings – salt, pepper, garlic, grated ginger
As for the sauce, you’ll need honey, soy sauce, cornstarch, lime juice, red pepper flakes, and chili garlic sauce. You can always serve your stir fry with sesame seeds, but that ingredient is optional.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
How to Make Shrimp Stir Fry
Step 1: Cook Shrimp
Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat with olive oil. Add your shrimp and season it with salt and pepper. Then, cook the shrimp until it’s golden, stirring 1-2 times, which should take about 5 minutes. When the shrimp is cooked through, remove them from the skillet.
Step 2: Cook the vegetables
In the same skillet, add sesame oil, broccoli, and bell pepper. Cook the veggies on medium heat, stirring a few times, until they’re soft. This should take about 7 minutes.
Step 3: Add More Flavor
Add garlic and ginger to the skillet of vegetables and cook for about 1 more minute. Stirring.
Step 4: Mix Sauce
In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, cornstarch, lime juice, honey, a pinch of red pepper flakes, and chili garlic sauce. Add the sauce to the skillet and stir to coat the vegetables.
Step 5: Add Sauce
Add the sauce to the skillet and stir to coat the vegetables.
Step 6: Add Shrimp
Add the shrimp to the skillet and cook with the vegetables and sauce until everything is heated through.
Step 7: Serve
Serve your shrimp stir-fry with sesame seeds, over rice, mixed in with noodles, or on its own! Enjoy!
Here are some tips on how to make this Shrimp Stir Fry:
Chop up all of the vegetables beforehand. Most of these simple ingredients can be sliced, chopped, or measured out the day before or several hours before. It’s a great idea because when you put it together, all you will need to do is heat up the skillet for this shrimp dish. This is the best way to maximize your cooking time!
Chop the vegetables to all be the same size. When one veggie chunk is bigger than the other, it can create an uneven sear. Making sure they’re all the same size makes the mixing and sauteing easier in this original recipe.
Make the chili-garlic sauce separately and keep it in the fridge! This sweet chili garlic shrimp recipe can be made any time when you have a ready sauce. The delicious sauce can be used on chicken stir fry or beef veggie stir fry when you need it.
You can marinade the shrimp for the stir fry beforehand by making half of the spicy sauce beforehand (or all of it, if you’d like) and marinating the deveined and peeled shrimp in it overnight or for a couple of hours beforehand. This makes the shrimp even more rich in flavor.
Shrimp stir fry takes 30 minutes to make. 15 minutes for ingredient preparation and 15 minutes for cooking. If you’re using frozen vegetables, the ingredient preparation can take longer. Not because you’re chopping up the veggies, but because they will need to thaw before cooking.
Shrimp stir fry is just as delicious with frozen vegetables. You will need about 1 hour of prep before cooking to allow the frozen vegetables to thaw. The cooking time is the same at 15 minutes.
In this recipe we used broccoli and two types of bell pepper which go wonderfully with shrimp! You can also serve shrimp with asparagus, green beans, mushrooms, or even peas. It’s really up to you and your own preferences.
Yes, you can as long as it was peeled and deveined before freezing. Otherwise, you’re better off using freshly peeled and deveined shrimp for this recipe. Keep in mind that frozen shrimp will also give off more liquid, but since you’re removing the shrimp from the pan before cooking the veggies it may not be too much of a problem.
Make sure you use a large skillet to avoid the overcrowding and subsequent steaming that comes from cooking too many things in too small of a space.
Here are some more tasty shrimp recipes you’ll love!
A Shrimp Pasta in Tomato Basil Sauce is a great easy dinner recipe!
This delicious Mexican Shrimp Cocktail Appetizer tastes like you are on vacation and is super easy to put together!
You may also want to bring some Italian flavors home by trying out shrimp with white wine sauce and butter.
Other Tasty Seafood Recipes
If you tried this Chili Garlic Shrimp Stir Fry or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and leave your 📝 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Chili Garlic Shrimp Stir Fry
- small bowl
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 small head broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
Stir Fry Sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp ginger, grated
- 1 Tbsp honey
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- ½ lime, juiced
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 2½ Tbsp chili garlic sauce
- sesame seeds, for serving
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat olive oil. Add shrimp and season with salt and pepper. Cook until golden, for about 5 minutes, stir 1-2 times. When ready, remove it from the skillet.2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 1 lb shrimp,, salt and black pepper,
- To the same skillet add sesame oil, broccoli, and bell pepper. Cook until soft on medium heat, about 7 minutes, stirring a few times.1 Tbsp sesame oil, 1 small head broccoli,, 1 red bell pepper,, 1 yellow bell pepper,
- Add garlic and ginger and cook for 1 more minute.2 cloves garlic,, 1 Tbsp ginger,
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the sauce – soy sauce, cornstarch, lime juice, honey, a pinch of red pepper flakes, and Chili Garlic Sauce.1 Tbsp honey, ⅓ cup soy sauce, 1 Tbsp corn starch, ½ lime,, 1 pinch red pepper flakes, 2½ Tbsp chili garlic sauce
- Add to the skillet and stir to coat.
- Add shrimp and cook until heated through.
- Serve with sesame seeds over rice or by itself.sesame seeds,
- If serving shrimp stir fry over rice, prepare the rice before you start cooking the shrimp stir fry since rice takes a bit longer to cook.
- To prepare the sauce ahead of time, mix the sauce ingredients together and keep it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- You can also chop the broccoli and bell peppers ahead of time and keep them in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Keep leftovers in the refrigerator covered, and when you are ready to reheat add everything to a skillet on medium-low heat until the desired temperature.
We love stir fry and order Chinese take out more than I’d like to admit. This is a great recipe to make at home. 10 out of 10