Its finally here.
I have been wanting to have a scalloped potato recipe on here for so long. Potatoes are one of my favorite side dishes, much more loved than pasta. I like baked potato, mashed potato, air fried potato, seared potato, even potato in a salad is a great add on, and a good side of scalloped potatoes.
I have been looking to make scalloped potatoes for so long, and here it is, creamy, cheesy and irresistibly delicious. I love how all you need to do is peel, thinly slice, add spices, cheese and milk and pop them in the oven for the ultimate dinner. You can’t go wrong with a side dish like this. These potatoes go great with most any protein, fish, chicken, or beef will be tasty.
How to cut scalloped potatoes
Scalloped potatoes (technically potatoes au gratin) are peeled and then cut thinly either with a good sharp knife or a slicer, like this one. The thicker you cut the potatoes, the longer it will bake.
What do I need to make scalloped potatoes at home?
Potatoes: I like to use the golden Yukon potatoes or the russet potatoes.
Cheese: Gruyere, it’s has a creamy Swiss cheese.
Dairy: Make it creamy, by using the heavy cream.
Spices: Garlic powder and nutmeg.
salt and pepper to taste.
and a few thyme springs for the top.
How to make Scalloped Potatoes
Slice: Peel and slice potatoes.
Sauce: Prepare the sauce by mixing together heavy cream, salt, pepper and spices.
Arrange: Just 6 simple steps.
1. Spread sliced potato evenly on a butter baking dish.
2. Sprinkle grated cheese.
3. Spread the rest of the potato.
4. Pour the creamy sauce over the potatoes.
5. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese and some fresh thyme springs.
6. Bake for about 75 minutes or until the tender and golden brown on top.
How to Bake Scalloped Potatoes
- oven dish
- measuring cup
- mixing spoons
- 2 lbs potatoes, sliced about ⅛ thick
- 2 cups grated gruyere cheese
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1½ tsp garlic powder
- 1¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- thyme, fresh. A few springs
- Preheat the oven to 350 f
- Grease the 2 quart baking dish with butter.
- In a bowl mix heavy cream with salt, pepper, and spices.
- Spread half of the sliced potatoes on the bottom of the baking dish. Make sure the layer is even. Sprinkle 1 cup of cheese over the potatoes.
- Make the second layer with the rest of sliced potatoes and pour the heavy cream mixture on top. Make sure to pour the mixture over every part of the dish.
- Sprinkle the top with fresh thyme leaves and the rest of grated cheese.
- Bake in the oven for about 75 min. Potatoes should be tender and the tops golden brown. Heavy cream and starch from potatoes will result in the creamy sauce