The perfect side dish for any occasion is this Creamy Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes. Layers of thinly sliced potato, with grated cheese and with an easy homemade creamy sauce. Baked until golden, and fork tender.
I have been looking to make scalloped potatoes for so long! I love that all you need to do is peel the potatoes and thinly slice them. Then, add spices, cheese, and milk. Pop them in the oven for the ultimate dinner.
You can’t go wrong with a side dish like this. These potatoes go great with most any protein, fish, chicken, or beef. It’s a great Easter dinner option for any level home cook.
Table of Contents
Key Ingredients for Scalloped Potatoes
Potatoes: I like to use Yukon Gold potatoes, or Russet potatoes.
Cheese: Gruyere cheese is a creamy Swiss cheese that perfectly complements potatoes.
Heavy cream makes a nice and creamy white sauce with the cheese and butter.
Unsalted butter for the creamy, buttery goodness.
Spices: Garlic powder for a rich garlic flavor, and nutmeg for that touch of warm nuttiness.
Salt and pepper to taste, and a few thyme sprigs for the top.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
How to make Scalloped Potatoes:
Step 1: Prep the Oven
Preheat the oven to 350F.
Step 2: Prep the Pan
Grease the 2 quart baking dish with butter.
Step 3: Mix the Spices
In a bowl mix heavy cream with salt, pepper, and spices.
Step 4: Spread the Potatoes
Spread half of the sliced potatoes on the bottom of the baking dish. Make sure the layer is even. Sprinkle 1 cup of cheese over the potatoes.
Step 5: Add the Spices
Make the second layer with the rest of sliced potatoes and pour the heavy cream mixture on top. Make sure to pour the mixture over every part of the dish.
Step 6: Add the Cheese
Sprinkle the top with fresh thyme leaves and the rest of grated cheese.
Step 7: Bake
Bake in the oven for about 75 min. Potatoes should be tender and the tops golden brown. Heavy cream and starch from the potatoes will result in the creamy sauce!
- If you can’t find gruyere cheese, you can substitute the cheese for other cheese you like. Sharp cheddar cheese is a great alternative. Be aware that the taste will be different.
- Make a well-rounded family friendly meal by adding pan-seared fish or mushroom chicken on the side.
- Prep the ingredients before cooking by peeling and slicing the potatoes, then mixing the cream sauce ingredients.
Peel and then cut thinly the potatoes either with a good sharp knife or a Mandoline slicer. The thicker you cut the potatoes, the longer it will bake.
Absolutely. You can prepare up until the baking. You can even prepare the night before, and keep it in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
Enjoy these family friendly dinner recipes:
- Easy Homemade Creamy Alfredo with Mushrooms makes a great weeknight dinner meal with a side of Healthy and Simple Vegetables with Chicken in the Oven!
- Make an Asparagus Soup with delicious Soft Dinner Rolls right at home!
- Garlic Butter Shrimp Pasta is the perfect comfort food meal after a long day. Serve it up with some Easy Bruschetta Chicken Bake!
More Potato Recipes to Try
If you tried this How to Bake Scalloped Potatoes or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you enjoyed it in the📝 comments below. I love hearing from you!
How to Bake Scalloped Potatoes
- oven dish
- measuring cup
- mixing spoons
- 2 lbs potatoes, sliced about ⅛ thick
- 2 cups grated gruyere cheese
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1½ tsp garlic powder
- 1¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- thyme, fresh. A few springs
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Grease the 2 quart baking dish with butter.2 Tbsp butter
- In a bowl mix heavy cream with salt, pepper, and spices.2 cups heavy cream, 1¼ tsp salt, ½ tsp black pepper, ¼ tsp nutmeg, 1½ tsp garlic powder
- Spread half of the sliced potatoes on the bottom of the baking dish. Make sure the layer is even. Sprinkle 1 cup of cheese over the potatoes.2 cups grated gruyere cheese, 2 lbs potatoes,
- Make the second layer with the rest of sliced potatoes and pour the heavy cream mixture on top. Make sure to pour the mixture over every part of the dish.
- Sprinkle the top with fresh thyme leaves and the rest of grated cheese.thyme,
- Bake in the oven for about 75 min. Potatoes should be tender and the tops golden brown. Heavy cream and starch from potatoes will result in the creamy sauce
- For the best and right results make sure to use gruyere cheese.
- After an hour of baking make sure to keep an eye on the potatoes so they don’t over brown, if this happens, but the potato is still not cooked through, cover with a foil for the rest of baking.
- Check potato for readiness with a fork.
- Cooking time may vary, depending on the type of potato.