Beautifully charred. Perfectly dipped in tangy BBQ sauce. And so easy to devour. These oven-baked bbq chicken drumsticks are so, so good and they’ll quickly become a family favorite!
I think your grill is looking for an upgrade. Burgers and hot dogs are great, but sometimes you want something different. Something that is grilled to perfection but doesn’t need to be wrapped inside of buns.
That’s where these BBQ chicken drumsticks come in
This easy chicken recipe is the solution. It’s a favorite recipe of mine that’s simple yet finger-licking good. It uses simple ingredients from the grocery store that add so much flavor. The best bbq chicken has a crispy skin with a tender and juicy center.
Chicken recipes are the perfect way to entertain guests, especially on game day. They also make one of the best easy weeknight dinners.
Whether you’re watching your carbs or you just need a break from the same old grilled recipes, the delicious chicken drumsticks should be your next grilling adventure.
Sure you could use other chicken pieces like wings, chicken thighs, or even chicken breast. But these bbq drumsticks just hit right. They’re the perfect friendly finger food, especially for the tiny hands in your house. Easy to hold, easier to devour, and perfect for the whole family.
The best part is they’re really easy to make, too. Even if you decided to have a completely spontaneous barbecue and you’re not prepared, these drumsticks have your back. Just grab some skin-on chicken legs, your favorite bottle of bbq sauce, and some EVOO. Has barbecuing ever been this easy? You’ll love this tender chicken with layers of bbq sauce. I don’t know about you, but I love some extra sauce on my flavorful chicken.
Some classic BBQ sides
We don’t eat chicken alone, though. This easy recipe comes together so quickly that you’ll have plenty of time to whip up some sides that will go great with these drumsticks. I love to serve these drumsticks with a simple salad like a green salad. Or for the perfect summer treat, a side of easy crab salad. Mmm.
Are you thinking what I’m thinking? Let’s fire up that grill because these bbq cravings have started to hit pretty hard. This simple recipe will quickly become a grilling favorite.
Drumsticks: This cut of chicken absorbs marinade and stays juicy and delicious when cooked.
BBQ sauce: The best way to bring out the flavor and juiciness of the chicken drumsticks.
Extra virgin olive oil: Keeps the chicken extra moist, and also keeps the flavor of the meat.
You will also need sea salt and ground black pepper to taste.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
How to make Oven Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
Step 1: Prepare the oil mix
In a small bowl combine extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, and ground black pepper. Mix well.
Step 2: Marinate the chicken drumsticks
Rinse chicken drumsticks and pat dry with a paper towel. Then add to the oil mix, cover with clingfilm, and let it stand for at least 30 minutes.
Step 3: Preheat the oven
Preheat the grill. Make a little boat-like shape with aluminum foil paper or parchment paper (curl the edges on each side), this is so you don’t get bbq all over the grill. (however, if you wish, you could grill without the foil).
Step 4: Add bbq sauce
Brush each chicken drumstick with bbq sauce using a basting brush.
Step 5: Grill the chicken
Put the dish in the preheated oven and grill on low heat, covered with foil paper. Flip chicken around occasionally, brushing with bbq sauce for extra flavor. Remove the foil paper in the last few minutes.
Step 6: Serve and enjoy
Once done, serve immediately and enjoy warm.
- Marinate the chicken for 30 minutes to infuse every bite with BBQ flavor. If pressed for time you can skip marinating.
- The easiest way to make sure the chicken drumsticks are done to perfection is to test them with an instant-read thermometer. Insert the probe into the meatiest portion of the drumstick without touching the bone. The internal temperature should hit at least 165°F.
- You can use any BBQ sauce of your choice whether it’s Texas BBQ sauce, smoky BBQ sauce, or even homemade BBQ sauce!
- The delicious barbecue chicken drumsticks should be darkened when done.
- Keep your drumsticks from burning by cooking your drumsticks over indirect heat. This will keep them from overcooking while also locking in the smoky flavors.
How to store leftover bbq chicken drumsticks
- Place leftovers in an airtight container and store them in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave when ready to eat. You can store it in a ziplock bag and freeze it for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight then reheat and serve.
The bbq chicken recipe is the centerpiece and main dish of the table. There’s no other way to go. For side dishes, an easy peasy coleslaw recipe is sure to fly off the table and not leave leftovers. Irresistible, creamy, and delicious scalloped potatoes or a potato salad pair perfectly with juicy drumsticks. Last but not least, one of my favorite sides that makes this friendly meal even more friendly: a fruit and veggie salsa!
The chicken bakes for a total cooking time of 40-50 minutes at 350-400 F. Remember to flip the chicken as it bakes.
Using a meat thermometer is the best way to check for doneness. If you keep cooking it past 165°F, you’ll get dry chicken. For best results, cooking over indirect heat will allow the drumsticks to cook slower so they don’t become dry. Marinate for 30 minutes or a few hours up to 24 hours. If you marinate longer, your chicken will dry out.
Yes, the chicken leg which is made up of the chicken drumstick and thigh is considered dark meat. That’s because they contain more myoglobin than chicken breast. Myoglobin is the protein that gives meat its reddish color. These muscles get more exercise (from the chicken walking and running around), and myoglobin delivers oxygen to the muscles. However, chicken drumsticks are still healthy as they are a good source of protein, iron, potassium, and zinc.
I love family BBQ days! Here are some more recipes I make for cookouts:
This Easy Smoky Summer Fresh Corn Salad with Cilantro is loaded with flavor and fresh ingredients!
A Mexican Cobb Salad with Chicken and BBQ Ranch Dressing contains so many benefits!
More Chicken Recipes to Make
If you tried this Oven Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks Easy Dinner Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you enjoyed it in the📝 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Oven Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks Easy Dinner Recipe
- Cooking brush
- 4 drumsticks, chicken legs
- 1 bottle BBQ sauce, of your choice
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- In a bowl combine extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, and ground black pepper; mix well.4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 1 tsp sea salt, 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Rinse chicken drumsticks and add to the oil mix. Let stand for at least 30 minutes.4 drumsticks,
- Preheat the grill.
- Make a little boat-like shape with foil paper (curl the edges in each side), this is so you don’t get bbq all over the grill. (however, if you wish, you could grill without the foil).
- Brush on bbq sauce.1 bottle BBQ sauce,
- Grill on low heat, covered. Flip chicken around occasionally, brushing with bbq sauce.
- BBQ chicken drumsticks are done when they are darkened.
- Make sure to let the chicken marinade for at least 30 minutes.
- Use your favorite BBQ sauce.