Ah, the humble Shepherd’s pie recipe. It is a comfy dish that almost everyone I’ve met enjoys. Traditionally, it’s a classic British dish made with lamb. That’s precisely how I make Shepherd’s pie at home – using lamb. The first time I tried was at Gordon Ramsey Restaurant in Las Vegas. It was incredible. Although I know many people prefer to use a beef version instead, why mess with it if my whole family enjoys the classic version so much, right?
Regardless of what you use, Shepherd’s Pie is made using a mixture of ground meat and vegetables, topped with mashed potatoes, and baked in the oven until you’ve reached golden brown perfection.
Tips for making the Classic and Perfect Shepherd’s pie
Be patient with the lamb. Or beef. You don’t want a runny meat mixture that sits at the bottom of your casserole dish. Otherwise, you’ll be having a wet mop for dinner. You want to cook the meat and vegetables until the consistency resembles a bolognese.
Use golden or russet potatoes. Red potatoes don’t work quite as well here. I think meat and potatoes make a classic pair, and lamb goes so well with golden or russet potatoes.
Do not overbake. Because both layers are already entirely cooked (the meat and the mashed potatoes), you don’t want the dish to be in the oven for too long. Just long enough to bring everything together and for it to set. 20 minutes should be enough.
If you want a crispy, golden top, broil for a few minutes. Don’t wait for that golden-brown crust to prolong the cooking process. Instead, crank up your oven to broil and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Voila!
You’ve got to try this classic Shepherd’s Pie! It is delicious!
What ingredients will you need for this lamb recipe?
- Cooked potatoes
- Egg yolks
- Parmesan cheese
- Butter: unsalted
- Heavy cream
Lamb meat filling:
- Olive oil
- Ground lamb
- Onion: yellow
- Chicken broth or stock (vegetable or beef stock will be a good option as well)
- Worcestershire sauce
- Tomato puree (could also use tomato paste)
- Red wine
- Herbs: fresh thyme, rosemary, and dill
And salt and pepper, of course.
Lamb Shepherd’s Pie is the main course and makes a great dish to pre-make ahead of time for busy evenings. I love to pair it with a simple salad, like a classic tomato and cucumber salad or even just a side of steamed green beans.
Does Lamb Shepherd’s Pie Reheat well?
Yes. Store it covered in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Reheat in the oven covered with foil.
Step instructions for Lamb Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
Classic Shepherd's Pie Recipe with Ground Lamb
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 handful dill, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb lamb, minced (ground)
- 2-3 yellow potatoes, chopped
- ½ tsp rosemary
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ cup red wine
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2-3 carrots, grated
- 1 onion, grated
- 10 oz chicken stock
- ¼ heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Worcestershire sauce
- 1½ Tbsp tomato puree
- salt, or to taste
- black pepper, or to taste
- Turn the oven to 350F.
- Peel and cut potato, then boil potatoes on medium heat in a large pot until cooked.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 Tablespoons of olive oil, and add the minced lamb, salt, and pepper.
- Add in the grated carrots and chopped onion after the lamb has started to brown up and there isn't much oil left.
- Stir and fry on medium with a wooden spoon, then add the minced garlic.
- Add 2 Tablespoons of the Worcestershire sauce, tomato puree, and chopped herbs into the lamb mixture.
- Add 1 cup of red wine, stir and sauté everything well, then add the stock.
- While the lamb is cooking, take boiled potatoes and drain them.
- Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes with egg yolks.
- Add 1 Tablespoon of unsalted butter, heavy cream, shredded parmesan cheese, and a few pinches of salt.
- Meanwhile, the Lamb mixture should start to get thicker.
- In an oven-safe baking dish, spread the lamb mixture on the bottom of the dish.
- On top of the lamb, carefully add the potato puree. On top of the lamb, carefully add the potato puree.
- Sprinkle a little parmesan cheese on top and a pinch of black pepper.
- Fluff the potatoes with a fork, and place in the preheated oven for 20 mins.
- Broil for the last couple of minutes to get a golden crust finish.