The Apple Sharlotka Recipe is fluffy, sweet, and easy to make. This rustic dessert is a great alternative to the traditional apple pie. With a crumbly base and a decadent apple filling, this apple tart won’t last long!
This tart apple recipe is the best thing to happen to the autumn season. No joke! When it’s too cold outside to take evening sunset walks, I like to curl up with a cup of tea, a good book, and this delicious apple sponge cake.
Apple slices cover the top of the cake, while the bottom is soft and spongy. The cake batter is so easy to make! You’ll enjoy this Russian sharlotka in no time. I like to make it for my own family as often as I can.
Do you have extra apples at home and don’t know what to do with them? I’ve got the perfect recipe for you: this easy apple cake. It’s an apple pie and upside-down cake combination: and it is fantastic.
Perfect for those winter nights where you just want to cozy up next to something warm, comfy, and sinfully satisfying. Winner winner, let’s have apple tart after dinner.
Table of Contents
Fresh apples start the simple ingredients of this cake. The best apples to use would be granny smith apples or golden delicious. These apples bake best.
Eggs add texture to this Russian cake.
Sugar sweetens up the tart apples and the cake batter.
Flour provides the structure in baked goods.
Vanilla adds a subtle and important flavor to the sponge layer of this basic recipe.
Baking powder lightens the texture of this easy cake.
Powdered sugar (or confectioner’s sugar) is for the topping. You can just sift it on top for best results!
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
How to make Apple Sharlotka Recipe (Russian Apple Cake)
Step 1: Mix the Eggs and Sugar
In a stand mixer (or hand mixer), beat together eggs and sugar on medium speed.
Step 2: Add in the flavor and powder
Add in vanilla and the baking powder.
Step 3: Add the flour
Turn down to low speed and add in the flour.
Step 4: Prep the Apples
Peel and slice the apples.
Step 5: Add the apples
Spray a tart or cake pan and place slices on the bottom of the pan.
Step 6: Add the batter to the apples
Pour the batter over the apples.
Step 7: Bake
Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes at 350°F.
Step 8: Flip it
Once finished baking, flip it over onto a plate so the apples are on top.
Step 9: Cool down
Let it cool down for 10 minutes then sift some powdered sugar on top. Enjoy!
- The batter for this dessert looks like pancake batter. Make sure to move slowly when adding the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Fresh fall apples are the best to use for this dessert.
- Slice your apples evenly. You want to avoid over-baking some slices while making sure others are not too tough to cut through.
- Grease the bottom of your baking pan generously. The apples will be on the bottom of the pan, and you don’t want them to stick. You can use a spring form pan if you’d like.
A sharlotka cake is a sponge cake filled with apple pieces. Many recipes layer the apple pieces on top of the batter. It’s similar to a fruit upside down cake!
Sharlotka is common in Russian cuisine. It was created by a French chef for the Russian Czar Alexander I. The name “sharlotka came from it’s popular first name, Charlotte Russe. It grew in popularity during the Soviet era and to this day is one of my classic Russian food recipes we love to make at home.
This yummy cake can be eat with a cup of coffee for breakfast or as a dessert with a scoop of ice cream. It’s the best apple cake recipe!
Here are more delicious autumn recipes for this season:
Easy Apple Jam with 2 Ingredients is one of the easiest apple recipes to make!
Make an Easy Healthy Dairy-Free Pumpkin Pie Smoothie at home with this simple recipe, perfect for fall!
More Apple Recipes to Try
If you tried this Apple Sharlotka Recipe (Russian Apple Cake) or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you enjoyed it in the📝 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Apple Sharlotka Recipe (Russian Apple Cake)
- mixing bowl
- Large bowl
- Measuring spoon
- Strainer set
- Vegetable pepper
- 6 apples, peeled
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 splash vanilla extract
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp powdered sugar
- In a stand mixer, beat together eggs and sugar on medium speed.3 eggs, ½ cup sugar
- Add in vanilla and the baking powder.1 splash vanilla extract, ½ tsp baking powder
- Turn down to low speed and add in the flour.¾ cup flour
- Peel and slice the apples.6 apples,
- Spray a tart or cake pan and place slices on the bottom of the pan.
- Pour the batter over the apples.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes at 350°F.
- Once finished baking, flip it over onto a plate so the apples are on top.
- Let it cool down for 10 minutes then sift some powdered sugar on top. Enjoy!1 Tbsp powdered sugar
- Use any apples.
- Make sure to peel the apples.
- Keep an eye on the apple cake by turning on the light occasionally while in the oven, since oven times may vary. Don’t open the oven door till after 25 minutes to check if the apple sharlotka cake is ready.
- To check if the cake is ready, gently stick a knife or toothpick in the center to make sure it comes out clean.