Look no further for the best fluffy pancake recipe – you found it! This simple recipe only calls for a handful of ingredients (but no buttermilk!) and less than 30 minutes from start to finish. You’re going to love these melt-in-your-mouth flapjacks served with bacon or fruit this weekend, so let’s get started!
Table of Contents
Why This is The BEST Homemade Fluffy Pancake Recipe
There’s always a balance to making the perfect pancakes because you want them to have the perfect level of fluffy softness. Well, I can guarantee that this recipe will create the most delicious steaming stack of fluffy pancakes you’ve ever dug your fork into!
They’re satisfyingly sweet – but not cloying – and they’re super customizable. You can add chocolate chips, fruit, and more (I share some more ideas below!) to create your dream pancake.
Serve them with bacon for that yummy salty and sweet combination, or top them with cream and fruit for a refreshing wake-up call. Even if you enjoy these fluffy pancakes all on their own with some butter slathered on top, you’re going to enjoy a hearty and delicious breakfast!
Ingredients to Make Homemade Pancakes (without buttermilk!)
This recipe is made without buttermilk because I find most people don’t normally have it on hand and I made sure we’ll have plenty of fluffiness without it! I think you’ll find you already have these ingredients in your kitchen – and isn’t that the best kind of recipe?
- All-Purpose Flour – or substitute half of the flour with whole wheat for additional protein and fiber.
- Sugar– white or cane
- Salt-sea salt
- Baking Powder
- Almond Milk – or regular milk.
- Egg– large
- Butter– unsalted
- Vanilla Extract
- Cinnamon– powder (spice)
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
How To Make This Fluffy Pancake Recipe
Step 1: Mix Dry Ingredients
Pull out the refrigerated ingredients to allow them to come to room temperature. Then, in a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder together.
Step 2: Mix Wet Ingredients
In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, melted butter, egg, and vanilla.
Step 3: Combine Both Mixtures
Using a whisk, stir both the dry and wet mixtures together until they’re combined. It’s okay if the batter is a little clumpy.
Step 4: Rest
Allow the batter to rest for about 10 minutes.
Step 5: Prep Pan
Heat your skillet over medium-high heat and spray it with oil or add a little bit of melted butter. Then, using a measuring cup, add ¼ cup of batter to the pan.
Step 6: Cook
Cook each pancake for 3-4 minutes, then flip them and cook for another 2-3 minutes on the other side. When both sides are golden brown you know they’re perfectly done!
There are a variety of components that make pancakes fluffy, but most of all, it comes down to the batter having air in it. Leavening agents like baking powder help with that! I’ve also found room temperature ingredients make a difference, as well as allowing the batter to rest for a few minutes before baking.
Yes, baking powder is a leavening agent which means when it’s mixed into the batter and then the batter is exposed to heat, the batter will rise. It helps give pancakes a little extra boost of fluff!
Basically, to make it taste even better! Milk has fat in it so it adds some richness to the batter and makes it a little thicker (and therefore fluffier!).
Different Types of Pancakes
This pancake is such a great base for adding different flavors and ingredients! Check out some inspiration and let me know what you come up with yourself.
- You can’t be classic chocolate chip pancakes! Just fold them into the batter as the last step. You can also do this with peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips, etc.
- Chocolate and peanut butter are the perfect pair, so top your chocolate chip pancakes with a dollop of peanut butter while they’re hot to get a melty Reese’s-inspired pancake.
- Go ahead and make the classic pancake recipe, add a dollop of peanut butter, and then put some sliced bananas on top. Yum!
- While we’re on the topic of fruit, blueberries are excellent folded into the batter, and you can add some whole berries to the top with some cream as well.
- If you’re a fan of pumpkin spice, sprinkle some nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, and cloves into the batter.
- Add some lemon zest to your batter along with poppy seeds for a light and refreshing burst of citrus. You could even go wild and make some lemon simple syrup to drizzle a little bit on top (and then add berries!).
More Sweet Breakfast Recipes To Try
- Easy German Baby Pancake (Dutch Baby)
- Simple Crepe Recipe with Cream Cheese and Berry
- Blueberry Breakfast Casserole
- Easy Cherry and Cream Cheese Danish
Other Tasty Breakfast Recipes
If you tried this The BEST Fluffy Pancake Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you enjoyed it in the📝 comments below. I love hearing from you!
The BEST Fluffy Pancake Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups almond milk or regular milk
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- All ingredients should be at room temperature. In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, melted butter, egg and vanilla together.
- Using whisk, stir together until combined.
- Allow the batter to rest for 10 minutes.
- Heat the pan over medium high heat. Pour the batter onto the pan, using 1/4 cup.
- Cook each pancakes for 3-4 minutes, then flip and cook for 2-3 minutes more, until lightly golden brown.
- Use almond, whole, or 2% milk.
- If the pancake batter is too thick, add a little more milk.