You will be happy to know you can now enjoy the flavors of pizza without guilt. This Cheesy Gluten Free Portobello Mushroom Pizza with Avocado is much healthier and has fewer calories than a traditional pizza. The vegan pizza is packed with flavor, full of vitamins and nutrition, and makes for an easy main dish, simple gluten-free side dish, appetizer, or snack.
Want to enjoy the flavors of a pizza, minus the guilt, carbs, and lack of nutrition? This Portobello Mushroom Pizza With Avocado is healthy and delicious. The best part? It all comes together in less than 30 minutes! This great recipeis a whole new way to get a little taste of pizza in a healthy way.
Meatless Monday is the perfect opportunity to enjoy the Portobello Pizza Recipe in our home. Mushroom season is in full bloom here. And pizza is, well, always in season. So I thought I’d make a dish that represents both.
Table of Contents
What are portobello mushroom pizzas?
It’s a vegetarian pizza made with portobello mushrooms. It’s a delicious way to enjoy the classic pizza flavor. The roasted portobello mushroom caps make the pizza base and they are perfect for stuffing with traditional pizza toppings. These mini pizzas are naturally low in carbs, keto, and gluten-free.
This portobello mushroom pizza recipe is a great way to enjoy pizza night for the whole family. The mushroom cap pizzas are baked until bubbling and browned and topped with cheesy toppings for a truly yummy experience.
This Portobello Mushroom And Avocado Pizza Is
Amazingly Textured: You get ooey, gooey cheese, a crispy top (the broiling helps here), and soft, yet crunchy onions.
So Easy To Make: There’s no pizza dough to roll out. You need less than 10 ingredients. And all it takes is 30 minutes from start to finish.
It’s healthier than Traditional Pizza: Regular pizza dough is usually made from all-purpose flour. While it’s fine to have in moderation, it doesn’t really offer any nutritional value. This is a great alternative for those times when the pizza cravings hit because it’s more satisfying and healthy. It’s ideal for those on a low-carb diet or keto diet.
A Fun Way To Get Kids To Try Mushrooms: I know plenty of kids who don’t necessarily love mushrooms. But turn it into a delicious pizza mushrooms recipe and you’ve got reluctant children gobbling this stuff up.
Key Ingredients for the Portobello Mushroom Pizzas
Portobello mushrooms: This is the base of the pizza. These should be medium or large and have a similar size and ideally be wide with a curve to hold the toppings.
Olive Oil: This is the pizza sauce. Any neutral cooking oil like coconut oil or avocado oil will be a great option.
Mexican Blend cheese: It’s the perfect blend of mild and creamy with a slightly tangy bite and easily melts.
Yellow Onion: This versatile onion has a sharp flavor which mellows when cooked adding a powerful and delectable taste to the pizza.
Fresh Tomato: Plum tomato works best because of its robust flavor.
Garlic: Adds a luxurious and warm flavor to the pizza and enhances the taste of the tomato.
Avocado: The perfect topping to make the pizza look and taste good.
You will also need fresh basil leaves fresh parsley and a pinch of salt for flavor.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
How to Make Cheesy Gluten-Free Mushroom Pizza with Avocado
Step 1: Prepare the oven and baking sheet
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Coat with a layer of olive oil spray.
2: Prepare the mushrooms
- Remove stems from mushrooms. Using the edge of a spoon, scrape and remove the mushroom gills. Wipe the inside clean with a damp cloth. Drizzle olive oil inside each mushroom and place the mushrooms on the prepared baking sheet.
3: Pre-cook the toppings
- In a skillet over medium-low heat extra virgin olive oil then chop the yellow onion and sauté for 1 minute.
4: Add the fresh tomato and garlic
- Chop the plum tomato and add to the onions. Add minced garlic and a pinch of salt then give it all a good stir.
5: Set aside and add avocado
- Remove from heat and add 1 chopped avocado to the mix.
6: Assemble the pizza
- Divide the onion mix in half and fill in the mushrooms. Sprinkle Mexican Blend cheese on top of the onion mix.
7: Bake and broil
- Bake the stuffed mushrooms for 12 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the mushrooms are soft and then broil for 3 minutes until golden brown.
8: Garnish and serve
- Remove the mushrooms from the oven, use paper towels to dab away the excess liquid then garnish with chopped parsley and basil.
How to store leftover pizza
- For best results, eat these mini pizzas on the same day. If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. To reheat, bake them in the oven at 400F/200C until heated through.
- Freezing is not recommended.
- Don’t overbake the pizzas because the mushrooms will release too much liquid and become soggy.
- Use the same size portobello mushrooms so that they cook at the same time
- Choose mushrooms that are concave with a large cap which can hold in the fillings
- You can prebake the mushrooms for 15-20 minutes to remove extra moisture and avoid having soggy pizzas. Bake, drain the liquid, and then add your own favorite toppings and bake again for a shorter time.
- Don’t clean the mushrooms under running water because they are very absorbent, so it’s best to clean them with a damp cloth to remove any dirt. If they absorb a lot of water during cleaning, they can end up quite soggy once they are baked.
You can add any of your own favorite pizza toppings such as sun-dried tomatoes, sliced black olives, or red peppers cut into small pieces. Any vegan cheese can work here whether it’s fresh mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, or cheddar cheese.
As a meat eater, you can add sausage, ham or bacon. Before adding to the oven, you can sprinkle a little Italian seasoning or red pepper flakes if you want to add a little heat.
Use a slightly damp paper towel or damp cloth to wipe away any dirt. Avoid washing them in water. Otherwise, they may absorb it and become soggy when cooked.
Check out these other great mushroom recipes
The Chicken with Mushrooms in Tomato Sauce is an easy dinner made with simple ingredients from the grocery store.
This Roasted Potatoes with Mushrooms side dish is an excellent addition to pair with any meal.
The Easy Homemade Creamy Alfredo with Mushrooms is a saucy, cozy, and the perfect comfort food.
More Mushroom Recipes to Try
If you tried this Cheesy Gluten-Free Mushroom Pizza with Avocado or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you enjoyed it in the📝 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Cheesy Gluten-Free Mushroom Pizza with Avocado
- 2 portobello mushrooms, stems removed, cleaned out
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, + 2 tsp
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 1 plum tomato, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 avocado, chopped
- ½ cup Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Remove stems from mushrooms. Using the edge of a spoon, scrape and remove the gills. Wipe the inside clean using a paper towel.2 portobello mushrooms,
- Drizzle some extra-virgin olive oil inside of each mushroom and place mushrooms on a baking sheet.1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil,
- In a skillet over medium-low heat up extra virgin olive oil.1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil,
- Chop the yellow onion and sauté for 1 minute.½ yellow onion,
- Chop 1 plum tomato and add to onions.1 plum tomato,, ½ yellow onion,
- Add garlic to skillet and a pinch of salt then give it all a good stir.1 clove garlic,, 1 pinch salt
- Remove from heat and add 1 chopped avocado to the mix.1 avocado,
- Divide onion mix in half and fill in the mushrooms.
- Sprinkle Mexican cheese on top of the onion mix.½ cup Mexican blend cheese,
- Bake for 12 minutes then broil for 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle each mushroom pizza with chopped parsley and basil.1 Tbsp fresh parsley,, 1 Tbsp fresh basil,
- If you don’t like avocado you can leave it out.
- Additional fresh herbs like dill or cilantro can also be added or substituted.