The Simple Roasted Chickpea Salad with Greens is a vibrant, flavor-filled, and delicious salad packed with fresh veggies, healthy fats, and proteins. It’s the perfect quick lunch or dinner when you’re craving something fresh and light. It’s great for your heart, body, and not to mention your taste buds!
Are you feeling like you are running out of energy? Tired and weak? If so, you may not be getting enough iron. The savory and smoky roasted chickpea salad with leafy greens has so many summer flavors and health benefits and is one of those really simple recipes to make.
Chickpeas which are also called Garbanzo Beans are a protein-packed superfood ingredient that is a high source of iron, healthy fats, and fiber. Iron is important for making enough healthy oxygen-carrying red blood cells. Without healthy blood cells, the body can’t get enough oxygen. Iron also reduces tiredness and fatigue and supports good energy levels.
I am loving this healthy Mediterranean chickpea salad. The healthy chickpea salad with creamy avocado, crisp cucumbers, lettuce, bell pepper, and fresh herbs is a great option to consider next time you’re looking for a salad that can make you feel full for longer.
The dash of bright golden brown, crispy chickpeas roasted in strong paprika and earthy cumin spices offset the colors of the fresh vegetables.
A large bowl of fresh and cooling chickpea avocado salad can be served as a main dish or a side dish at summer picnics, potlucks, and barbecues. The healthy ingredients in this great recipe are simple pantry ingredients that can also be found easily at the grocery store.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- The golden brown, protein-packed chickpeas are a source of iron and healthy fats so they make you feel full for longer.
- The salad is made with fresh ingredients that will benefit your overall health.
- It’s a quick and easy salad recipe.
- It’s versatile-you can serve it as a vegetarian salad or add protein.
- The roasted chickpea salad recipe can be served as a main meal or side dish.
- It’s drizzled with a simple dressing- only a little olive oil.
Key Ingredients to make the Chickpea, avocado, and cucumber salad
Chickpeas: You can use dried chickpeas or a can of chickpeas. For the canned chickpeas, make sure you drain, rinse and dry them.
Romaine lettuce: Has a delightful crunch and crisp texture and holds well as a base in the salad.
Green bell pepper: The crunchy bell pepper is a great addition to the greens in the side salad.
Avocado: The creamy avocado packed with healthy fats should be ripe and soft but still slightly firm.
Fresh dill: Dill works well with leafy greens and adds a unique and strong flavor to the whole salad.
English cucumbers: The cool and crisp cucumbers are a great way to add a crunchy texture to the Mediterranean salad.
Along with those ingredients, you will need paprika, cumin, salt, and extra virgin olive oil.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
How to make Roasted chickpea salad with greens
Step 1: Prepare oven and chickpeas
- Preheat oven to 400F then mix chickpeas, paprika, cumin, salt, and olive oil.
2: Bake chickpeas
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet and spread out chickpeas in a single layer then place in the oven. Roast for 15 minutes until they’re golden brown and crispy.
3: Prepare the vegetables and fresh herbs
- While the chickpeas are in the oven, dice cucumbers, lettuce, creamy avocado, bell pepper, and fresh dill.
4: Toss the salad
- In a medium bowl, combine romaine lettuce, bell pepper, avocado, dill, cucumber, and cooked chickpeas and toss salad with 1 Tablespoon olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste.
5: Serve immediately
- Divide between individual small bowls and serve. Enjoy your salad!
How to store leftover chickpea salad
- Store leftovers in an airtight container (if not mixed with olive oil yet) in the refrigerator for 1-2 days. The salad should ideally be consumed within 24 hours as the avocado can start to brown on the 2nd day. Tip: to cut the avocado right before serving.
- Freezing is not recommended for this fresh salad.
- Don’t mix the salad with olive oil until ready to serve.
- You can stir in some chili flakes as you season the chickpeas for a little heat and kick.
- Added some roast corn alongside when roasting the chickpeas, to add sweet taste and balance the flavors.
- Avocado oil is also a great option as a salad dressing.
- Roasting chickpeas on parchment paper, so that the seasonings don’t stick to your baking sheet.
Chickpeas are high in fiber, protein, and healthy fats and have a low GI. Potential benefits of chickpeas include helping control blood sugar, manage weight, and support heart and gut health. The cucumbers give your body vitamins C, K, magnesium, and antioxidants and will help fight cellulite.
Romaine lettuce is rich in vitamin K, supporting bone health. Green bell pepper is a great source of vitamins C and B6 and gives your body lutein, which promotes eye health. Avocado contains healthy fats and fiber that help to fight inflammation and lower bad cholesterol. Fresh dill is rich in flavonoids, which help to reduce the risk of heart disease.
Here are some more of our best salad recipes with chickpeas
The Gluten Free Quinoa Chickpea Salad with Dijon Dressing makes for a filling lunch or dinner that boosts your immune system too.
This Simple Summer Salad With Chickpeas is a refreshingly perfect summer side dish.
Easy Cauliflower and Chickpea Curry with Squash and Tomatoes may not be a salad but it’s definitely a delicious and filling meal you can make at home!
Other Chickpea Recipes to Try
If you tried this Simple Roasted Chickpea Salad with Greens or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you enjoyed it in the📝 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Simple Roasted Chickpea Salad with Greens
- 14 oz can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 heart romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, diced
- ½ cup fresh dill, chopped
- ½ English cucumber, sliced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Mix together chickpeas, paprika, cumin, salt, and olive oil. Spread out on a baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes.14 oz can chickpeas,, ¼ tsp paprika, ¼ tsp cumin, salt,, 1 tsp olive oil
- Combine romaine, bell pepper, avocado, dill, cucumber, and roasted chickpeas together.1 heart romaine lettuce,, 1 green bell pepper,, 1 avocado,, ½ cup fresh dill,, ½ English cucumber,, 14 oz can chickpeas,
- Toss salad with 1 Tablespoon olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste. Enjoy.1 pinch salt, 1 Tbsp olive oil, ground black pepper,
- Toss the salad with olive oil right before serving, otherwise it will soggy.