Are you feeling like you are running out of energy? Tired and weak? If so, you may not be getting enough iron. I am loving this chickpea salad with so many flavors and health benefits. This salad was inspired by a trip to Canada I took this past weekend.
You might have noticed that this recipe has lots of green ingredients in it, all with a dash of bright chickpeas to offset those colors. Not just the chickpeas by themselves, but the strong paprika and earthy cumin that they’re spiced with. The chickpeas add all of the spices to this delicious salad and more.
Chickpeas have many health benefits, and one big vitamin you can get out of chickpeas is the high source of iron.Iron is important for making enough healthy oxygen-carrying red blood cells. Without the healthy blood cells, the body can’t get enough oxygen. Other than the benefits of iron, the cucumbers will help fight cellulite. This salad is filled with green veggies that will benefit your overall health and keep you feeling great!
Here’s what you’ll need to make this salad:
Chickpeas help to control blood sugar with their low glycemic index and are high in fiber.
Romaine lettuce is rich in vitamin K, supporting bone health.
Green bell pepper gives your body lutein, which promotes eye health.
Avocado helps to fight inflammation and lowers bad cholesterol.
Fresh dill is rich in flavonoids, which help to reduce the risk of heart disease.
English cucumber gives your body vitamin A and antioxidants.
Along with those ingredients, you will need paprika, cumin, salt, and olive oil.
How to Make this Simple Roasted Chickpea Salad with Greens
Simple Roasted Chickpea Salad with Greens
- 14 oz can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 heart romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, diced
- ½ cup fresh dill, chopped
- ½ English cucumber, sliced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Mix together chickpeas, 1/4 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp cumin, a pinch of salt, and 1 tsp olive oil. Spread out on a baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes.
- Combine romaine, bell pepper, avocado, dill, cucumber, and roasted chickpeas together.
- Toss salad with 1 Tablespoon olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste. Enjoy.