Let me paint you a picture:
You’ve had a crazy, busy start to the week. You’re running on practically zero energy. You come home and crave a satisfying meal. But remember? Zero energy. So what do you do? Order take out for the third night in a row? Pull out something from the freezer? Hope a meal will magically appear on the dinner table (with all the dishes washed of course)?
I get it. Nobody wants to spend hours of time and effort in the kitchen after a hectic day. Thankfully, there are one-pot meals. And this kale, sausage, white bean soup is just that. It’s a delicious, hearty and healthy soup that comes together all in one pot.
You could even whip this together the night before. Because everybody knows. The soup tastes better the next day.
Let’s Talk Ingredients:
Kale. This is one of the most nutrient-dense foods. Full of Vitamins A, K, C and a great source of other essential nutrients, kale is a superfood that tastes delicious in this soup. The deep green color also makes the soup look beautiful.
Sausage. Sweet Italian sausage. Perfectly spiced, sausage adds so much flavor!
White beans. This is the base of the soup. It’s packed with protein. You can choose to use navy beans, cannellini beans, or even Great Northern beans. The creaminess of white beans tastes great in this soup. You could even use chickpeas or red beans instead. But I’ll always favor those white beans in this soup.
Mirepoix. Onions, celery, and carrots help form the soup base and add aromatics to the soup that will fill your home.
This hearty soup is perfect for chilly, winter nights. Give it a try and let me know how it goes!
Kale, Sausage, and White Bean Soup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, or avocado oil
- ¾ lb mild Italian chicken sausage
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1½ tsp Italian seasoning mix
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- 4½ cups vegetable broth, or chicken broth
- 4 cups kale, chopped
- 1½ cups cannellini beans, or white beans, cooked
- parmesan cheese, grated, optional, for topping
- parsley, chopped, optional, for topping
- Heat oil in a medium-sized soup pot on medium heat. Crumble sausage in a pan and cook until cooked through. Remove sausage from pan and set aside on a plate.
- Add chopped onion to the pan with a pinch of salt and stir to coat. Cook until soft 5-7 minutes then add garlic and stir in quickly.
- Add celery, carrots, Italian seasoning mix, salt and pepper ,and stir to coat. Cook for 3-5 minutes until vegetables start to soften then add broth and sausage back to pot. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes until all vegetables are soft.
- Add chopped kale and beans and cook another few minutes until kale is bright green and soft.
- Serve topped with Parmesan cheese and/or chopped parsley (optional).