In my kitchen, cucumbers are everywhere. They silently make themselves useful in almost every single salad, side dish, or even main dish. But now, it’s their time to shine. Enter: this Asian Cucumber Salad. With the flavors of toasted sesame oil, basil, and cilantro, this dish will disappear pretty quick!
I never run out of cucumbers. If I do, I always get more. Have you had that one ingredient that you just can’t figure out what to do with it? You’ll look at it and think, “what can I use you for?!?” Well, cucumbers are never a stress ingredient like that. They pretty quickly assimilate to almost any dish. If I need a last-minute side to lunch, I like to just cut them up and serve with other sliced veggies with just a sprinkle of salt on top.
But today, cucumbers will make their bright appearance in this perfect Asian-inspired salad. Sliced thin on a mandolin slicer and combined with a whisked dressing, you can make this salad as crunchy as you want. To do so, just pat the cucumbers with a paper towel after resting with salt.
What will I need to make this recipe?
English cucumbers are rich in antioxidants, which help to fight free radicals in your body.
Garlic supports your immune system and helps to fight high levels of cholesterol.
Basil helps to reduce high levels of blood sugar and supprots heart health.
Cilantro helps to protect your body against food poisoning and fills you with vitamins A and C.
Scallions are rich in fiber and vitamin K, supporting the digestive system and helping your blood to clot.
Honey adds the perfectly light sweet touch to this cucumber salad and promotes healing while preventing infections.
Along with those ingredients, you will need salt, rice wine vinegar, toasted sesame oil, and sesame seeds
How to make this Simple Asian Cucumber Salad
Simple Asian Cucumber Salad with Cilantro and Honey
- 2 English cucumbers, thinly sliced, preferably with mandolin slicer
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp honey
- ½ cup basil, sliced
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced (white and green part)
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds, (optional)
- Place sliced cucumbers in a medium-sized salad bowl and sprinkle with salt. Set aside to rest.
- In a small bowl, whisk together rice vinegar, sesame oil, garlic, and honey.
- Drain any excess liquid formed from cucumbers. For a crisper cucumber salad pat cucumbers dry (optional) then add the whisked ingredients and toss well.
- Next add basil, cilantro and scallions and toss well to incorporate.
- Top with sesame seeds and serve.