Easy Recipe for Pickled Onions
- Glass jars
- cutting board
- Spatula set
- 1 small/medium red onion, sliced very thin, preferably with a mandolin slicer
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 2 tsp granulated sugar, of choice
- ¾ tsp salt
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- fresh herbs, oregano, rosemary, or basil, optional
- peppercorns, optional
- You won’t believe how easy it is to make red pickled onions.Start off by peeling and thinly slicing the red onions (preferably with a mandolin slicer), then cut into half-moons. Peel and slice garlic cloves if you are adding them to the recipe.
- Add white wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, water, sugar of choice, and salt to a pot, then bring to a boil. Then, quickly reduce the heat to a simmer. If you are using dried spices, add them to this also.
- Add onions to the pot and simmer for one minute then turn off the heat and allow them to cool a bit so you can handle them.
- Place jar in the refrigerator for at least one hour before serving (longer is better).
- Store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.