Absolutely! I do half beef and half chicken for my family. Go ahead and use any leftover meat, even leftover turkey from Thanksgiving!
Yes, for sure. Store in an airtight container, and reheat it in the microwave or on low heat covered with foil in the oven until the center is heated. The chicken filling stays creamy and hearty, just like the day you made it. Leftover chicken pot pie is a great lunch option.
To prevent the edges from burning too quickly, after the edges have a slightly golden brown color, loosely cover the edges of the pie with foil for the remainder of the baking time.
What is a Pot Pie?Chicken pot pie is often found around North America. It’s a hearty, creamy mix of chicken (or beef) and vegetables in a flaky crust pastry on the bottom and top. It is often sold as a frozen pot pie in the freezer section of the grocery store. If chicken or beef is a staple protein in your weekly meals, you will love this fresh, homemade chicken pot pie recipe; it’s loaded with flavor! This great family favorite recipe puts together a buttery pie crust with a creamy filling to make this classic comfort food! This is one of those recipes that will make you feel warm and comforting inside. If you have picky eaters in your family, these simple ingredients will be sure to please. Even if it’s their first time eating a from-scratch chicken pot pie, they’ll love it. This great recipe is kid-friendly and naturally filled with benefits in vegetable filling. It’s a great way to add more nutrients to your diet. Also, it reheats very well the next day!
The 5 Ingredient Best Pie Crust RecipeYou can quickly buy a ready-made crust, but I highly recommend making your flaky buttery crust from scratch. It’s easier than you may imagine. Made with just 5 ingredients, you can make it ahead of time. You need flour, sugar, salt, butter, and water to make your pie crust. That’s it! The top crust is brushed with an egg wash to make it flaky and shiny. [block_content]
What benefits does this recipe provide?The mixed vegetables and whole chicken add benefits that can only come from fresh produce. Onions are low-calorie but provide your body with vitamin C and potassium. Peas have health benefits that keep your eyes healthy and even fight some cancers. Corn has magnesium and fiber, supporting digestion. Garlic helps to fight inflammation and high levels of cholesterol. Parsley has vitamin K and vitamin A.
Ingredients for Chicken Pot PieA hearty chicken pot pie filling and a homemade pie crust is made with well-known ingredients.
- 3 cups cooked chicken (shredded). For this, rotisserie chicken, turkey, or beef work great. Chicken breasts are most commonly used.
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped.
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/2 cup corn
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup unbleached flour
- 1 3/4 cup vegetable or chicken stock. Chicken stock is a good option here. (If you are using beef, you can also use beef broth.) Also, vegetable stocks are an excellent alternative for any meat options.
- 1/2 cup heavy cream.
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 fresh parsley, chopped.
- 1 egg, for the egg wash. This is what makes the flaky pie crust shiny.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more to dust.
- 1/2 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces cold unsalted butter, cut into 1-Tablespoon pieces
- 6-7 Tablespoons of cold water
How to make Classic Easy and Good Chicken Pot Pie from Scratch
Homemade Pot Pie from Scratch
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- ⅓ cup butter, unsalted
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrot, sliced
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup flour, unbleached
- 1¾ cup stock, vegetable or chicken
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 egg, for egg-wash
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour, plus more to dust, *measured correctly
- ½ Tbsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 oz cold unsalted butter, cut into 1 tbsp pieces
- 6-7 Tbsp cold water
- Place flour, sugar and salt into the bowl of a food processor and pulse a few times to combine. Add cold diced butter and pulse the mixture until it resembles a coarse meal. You can also use a pastry cutter for it.
- Add 6-7 Tbsp of cold water and pulse just until it clumps.Transfer dough to a clean work surface, and gather dough together into a ball. Divide dough in half and flatten to form 2 disks. Cover the dough discs in plastic wrap and let cool in the fridge while you prepare the filling.
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Melt butter in a large pan, add onions and carrots and saute 5 minutes over medium heat until soft.
- Add sliced celery and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup flour and cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Add chicken stock, and heavy cream. Bring to a simmer and cook for 1 minute.
- Add shredded cooked chicken, frozen peas and corn, 2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper and 1/4 cup parsley. Stir to combine then remove from heat.
- Roll 1 chilled pie crust disk into a circle large enough to cover the 9 inch baking dish.
- Spoon the filling into the crust.
- Roll the second part of the dough and cover the pie. Pinch the edges and cut slits in several places.
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Brush the top with a beaten egg.
- Bake at 425˚F for 30-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown. If edges are browning too fast, cover them with foil.
- Cool slightly before serving