A taste of childhood comes in the form of a cheesy, easy grilled cheese sandwich! This comfort food is super easy to create right at home.
Although I grew up in a Slavic household, American foods are near and dear to my heart. My family moved to the US in my childhood so I got a well-rounded cultural experience both at home and at school. Cheese sandwiches were one of my favorite childhood treats, and to this day, I love making grilled best cheese sandwiches, for my children. Combined with a hearty, homemade tomato soup.
Table of Contents
Good grilled cheese will have a variety of cheeses!
The perfect grilled cheese sandwich has several types of cheese, not just one. The different flavors are rich and all the cheeses melt together to create a great cheese recipe combination.
The type of bread you use depends on what flavor base you want. White bread is a common one, while multigrain or whole-grain bread can add flavor. I like to use my homemade bread recipe, but store-bought will be good too. Thin slices of bread work best with tasty and gooey cheese!
So many restaurants or drive-thrus have American cheese sandwiches on their menus. And yet, the homemade version always tastes best. When you make it yourself at home, the melting combination of cheeses on the skillet, a bowl of tomato soup, and toasted bread is on a whole new level. It’s too simple!
If you’re hungry for a quick lunch, a hot sandwich will satisfy! They’re filling and too easy to make. Just grab the sandwich bread, some different cheeses, and a little bit of mayonnaise. 2-3 minutes of prep and 5 minutes to cook is all you need time-wise.
Bread is the base of almost every sandwich. A sturdy sandwich bread is best. You’ll need 8 pieces of bread to make sandwiches for 4 people in this recipe.
Mayonnaise is perfect for the outside of the bread. It makes it crunchy and perfectly smooth flavor-wise.
Cheddar cheese is sharp and flavorful.
Gouda cheese is a smooth cheese that’s rich and nutty. This cheese is the perfect type for a grilled sandwich.
Havarti cheese is the kind of cheese that tastes more buttery. A slice of Havarti can be slightly acidic but delicious.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
How to make a Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Step 1: Spread mayonnaise
Spread ½ Tbsp mayonnaise over the top side of each slice of bread.
Step 2: Begin frying
Heat a skillet or frying pan over medium-low heat. Place in two slices of bread, mayonnaise side down.
Step 3: Add cheese and cook
Place 3 slices of different types of cheese slices over one slice of bread. When the bread becomes golden, close the sandwich. Cook the bread for about 5 minutes until it turns golden brown and the cheese melts.
Step 4: Enjoy
- Mayonnaise provides a crispy, golden crust without the butter. Using it provides a delightful alternative to grilled cheese sandwiches.
- Opt for fresh, high-quality bread. Sourdough bread, artisanal, or whole-grain can take your grilled cheese to the next level.
- Add some extra ingredients like sliced tomatoes, bacon, or caramelized onions to create a gourmet grilled cheese.
- Experiment with different types of cheeses, using Swiss cheese, Monterey jack cheese, or a spicy pepper jack. Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top after cooking for it to melt on top!
A: Grilled cheese sandwich is best reheated on a skillet, with ¼ Tablespoon of unsalted butter, on medium-low heat.
Wrap the prepared sandwich in parchment paper, and tuck it into your lunch box. It won’t be as crispy as when you first make it, but it shouldn’t be soggy either.
Here are some tasty dishes to go with a grilled cheese sandwich:
- Make a citrusy fruit smoothie that gives your body energy!
- Some easy canned pickles to make ahead!
- Easy Thumbprint Cookies that have a jam center make a great dessert.
Cheesy recipes to try
If you tried this Grilled Cheese Sandwich or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you enjoyed it in the📝 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 8 slices bread, toasted
- 4 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 slices gouda cheese
- 4 slices havarti cheese
- Spread ½ Tbsp mayonnaise over top side of each slice of bread.4 Tbsp mayonnaise, 8 slices bread,
- Heat a skillet over medium-low heat, and place two slices of bread mayonnaise side down.
- Place 3 slices of different types of cheese over one slice of bread. When the bread becomes golden, close the sandwich and cook for about 5 minutes until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted.4 slices cheddar cheese, 4 slices gouda cheese, 4 slices havarti cheese
- Serve immediately.