30 Minutes Soft Thumbprint Cookies with Jam
Just 30 minutes for these thumbprint cookies with jam! Great for the holidays, school events, parties, or just a sweet treat. They go great for any occasion.
Sometimes I write a recipe post way after the food is gone. And sometimes when I write about a recipe I just want to go stop what I am doing and make the recipes again, this thumbprint cookies is one of those recipes. If I could only grab it from the screen, they are that good. My kids loved them too! Matter of fact these are so easy to make with kids.
Table of Contents
Just 30 Minutes to Make Thumbprint Cookies
Really! Just 30 minutes. You could even make them under 30 minutes.
I don’t make very many cookies, but when I do, it has to be good. My kids are my biggest critics when it comes to cookies, they are pros. These past the test from all the kids. Pretty sure you will love them too.
How to Make a Thumbprint Cookies?
These easy jam thumbprint cookies are made with just 8 ingredients, and no chilling required. Just prep and pop them in the oven.
The soft dough for the cookies is made from softened to room temperature unsalted butter, sugar for sweetness, an egg yolk, salt and vanilla extract for flavor boost, and sifted unbleached flour. I love that I don’t have to through away the egg whites! iI’s free protein, you know. Simply dip the form cookie ball into the egg whites and then toss in sugar + almond flour mixture. This gives the cookies a whole other lever and flavor.
Make sure to not over bake, so the cookies are not too crunchy or dry. 10 minutes is just perfect without the jam and 8-10 more minutes with the jam.
What Kind of Jam Should I Use for Thumbprint Cookies?
For these cookies, you will need to fill in each indentation with jam. I tried them with raspberry jam and strawberry jam, but you can use just about any flavor you like.
Why are Thumbprint Cookies called Thumbprint Cookies?
Thumbprint cookies get there name from the way they are made. When forming the dough before you put them in the oven you make a dent with your “thumb” for where you will put the your favorite jam in. After the first 10 minutes in the oven, you will take the cookies out and make a gentle but deeper indentations for where the jam will go.
Are These Cookies Soft or Crunchy?
Thumbprint cookies are super soft. Mainly because of the softened butter. When biting into a thumbprint cookie you will feel the soft, chewy texture right away.
Thumbprint Cookies with Jam
- hand mixer
- measuring spoons
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp sugar, (for rolling the cookies)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour, unbleached and sifted
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup almond flour, or very finely chopped almonds
- ⅔ cup jam, your favorite
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Beat the butter with the sugar on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Add the egg yolk and vanilla extract, beat for 2 more minutes. Keep the egg whites for later in a on bowl.
- Add sifted flour and salt, mix at the slowest speed just until combined.
- Mix the almond flour with 2 tbsp of sugar in a small bowl. Place the egg whites in a separate bowl.
- Make 11 balls out of the dough. Dip each ball into the egg whites, then into the almond flour. Lay out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Make a dent in the middle of every cookie with your finger.
- Bake for 10 min, then take out from the oven. If needed press lightly again to make the deeper indentations.
- Fill each dent with jam, then cook for 8-10 more minutes, until golden brown.
- Allow to cool before serving.