Bread Machine Sweet and Soft Russian Walnut Roll Pastry (Orechovnik)
- Bread machine
- Set of bowls
- cutting board
For the dough:
- 2 large eggs
- ½ tsp dry vanilla
- 1½ cups milk, warm, not hot
- 8 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 3 Tbsp oil light olive oil is best
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp dry yeast
- 4 cups flour
- 2 cups walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup sugar
- To make the dough: Place all the ingredients in bread machine bucket. Choose DOUGH option on the machine and wait until the dough is ready.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling.
- Combine into a bowl the finely chopped walnuts, egg white and sugar. Mix well and you've got yourself a walnut filling! This will be enough for half of the dough in case you want to make another filling also.
How to make the roll:
- When the dough is ready, preheat the oven to 240F. Get a baking sheet and spray or butter the pan so the rolls don’t stick when baking.
- Divide the dough in half. If you want different kind of fillings divide the dough into how many fillings you want.
- Sprinkle the surface with flour then roll one piece of dough flat into a rectangle shape. Spread walnut filling. Roll the dough in from the long side. Place on a baking sheet.
- Repeat the previous step with the rest of the divided dough by rolling it, adding filling and rolling it up.
- Give 15 minutes for the dough roll to rise once again then whisk 1 egg and brush lightly the top of each roll. Place in oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes on 240F, then change the temperature to 275F for another 15 minutes and lastly change the temperature to 295F and bake until rolls are golden brown. Slice and enjoy!