Make your own brown gravy from scratch in under 10 minutes! This is the perfect savory gravy that you want dripping over your meat and potatoes. Just use beef stock, Worcestershire sauce, and a few other simple ingredients, and this gravy will be the best (and easiest!) part of your dinner!
Table of Contents
Why This is the Best Brown Gravy From Scratch
Instead of waiting for some turkey, beef, or chicken to cook and then using the drippings for your gravy, this recipe uses stock so you can whip it up within 10 minutes! Whether it’s Thanksgiving dinner or a hearty roasted chicken on a winter weeknight, this gravy will be the most delicious way to tie it all together!
Thankfully, it’s easy too! I made sure this recipe only called for regular on-hand ingredients that you can find in your pantry or a quick trip to the grocery store. The beef stock and Worcestershire sauce are really the shining stars of this recipe because they allow us to make a simple flavorful gravy that’s still homemade. I always prefer to know exactly what’s going into my food instead of using powder from a packet.
All you have to do is throw the ingredients in a saucepan, thicken it up with a slurry, and then you’re done! In just a few minutes you’ll have a thick and creamy gravy draped over the food on your plate!
Ingredients for Homemade Gravy
- Beef Broth – Beef broth is the base for this recipe, but if you want to make a chicken gravy then you can use chicken broth.
- Seasonings – Dried onion flakes and garlic powder add flavor. If you’d like to use onion powder instead then that works too.
- Worcestershire Sauce – Adds a unique richness to this gravy.
- Slurry – Cornstarch and cold water. Mix the two together to create a slurry that will thicken the gravy.
- Unsalted Butter – Makes the rich brown gravy nice and buttery
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
How To Make Brown Gravy From Scratch
Step 1: Combine Beef Broth and Seasonings
In a medium-sized saucepan, mix together the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, onion flakes, and garlic powder.
Step 2: Boil
Bring this mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally.
Step 3: Mix Slurry
In a small bowl, mix together the cold water and cornstarch. Stir well until it’s combined.
Step 4: Add Slurry
Lower the heat and then slowly add the cornstarch mixture. Constantly stir the slurry into the gravy as you cook for a couple more minutes. The broth will begin to thicken.
Step 5: Add Butter
Remove the gravy from the stove and add the unsalted butter. Stir it in until it’s melted.
To thicken your gravy, you’ll use a simple slurry. In this recipe, we use a combination of corn starch and corn water to create a slurry and then we slowly add it to the gravy mixture. Make sure not to add more than the recipe calls for.
In this recipe, there are 61 calories per serving, 4 grams of fat, and 1 gram of sugar. The nutritional value of other recipes will vary.
Brown gravy is any gravy that derives from meat drippings (or stock) and butter that is then thickened with a slurry.
Oh, the options are endless! Drizzling it over poutine is the first thing that comes to my mind, but it’s amazing on any meat and veggies. Gravy is also unbeatable on mashed potatoes and then sopped up with a good piece of bread.
Additional Recipes for Gravy
- Drizzle your gravy over cornish hens stuffed with vegetables!
- Homemade buttery mashed potatoes are probably my favorite food to enjoy gravy with.
- But, this potato piroshki recipe comes in second! These breaded hand pies stuffed with mashed potatoes are perfect for sopping up gravy.
- I always love a meat, starch, and vegetable meal with my gravy and I can confirm these slightly sweet roasted carrots are the perfect complement to the savory gravy.
- If you’re looking for a good hearty potato option, try these roasted potatoes with mushrooms!
More Recipes To Try
If you tried this 10-Minute Brown Gravy From Scratch or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you enjoyed it in the📝 comments below. I love hearing from you!
10-Minute Brown Gravy From Scratch
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 Tbsp dried onion flakes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 Tbsp cold water
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- In a medium-sized saucepan, mix 2 cups of beef broth, 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, 1 Tablespoon onion flakes , and 1 teaspoon garlic powder.2 cups beef broth, 1 Tbsp dried onion flakes, 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce, 1 tsp garlic powder
- Bring it to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl mix together 3 Tablespoons of cold water and 3 Tablespoons of cornstarch, and stir until well combined.3 Tbsp cold water, 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- Lower the heat, and slowly add the cornstarch mixture. Constantly stirring, cook for a couple of minutes and the broth will begin to thicken.
- Remove from the stove, add 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter and stir until butter is melted.2 Tbsp unsalted butter