Store braised cabbage in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Cooked cabbage reheats excellently in a pan with a little bit of butter and lasts up to 5 days.
Cabbage is braised by sauteing it in a skillet. You can cook it over low heat. This entire recipe takes 35 minutes to make!
You can make braised cabbage for piroshki in my recipe for How to Make Piroshki with Cabbage.
Russian Braised Cabbage Recipe (Тушеная капуста)
- 1 head cabbage, shredded
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- Shred 1 head of cabbage into a bowl and add chopped onion and grated carrot.
- In a pan melt 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter and add in cabbage. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add in the chopped onion and grated carrot. Stir.
- Add in 1/2 teaspoon of salt (I use sea salt) and 3 Tablespoons of tomato paste.
- On low heat sauté all together, stirring occasionally.
- After 10 minute, the cabbage will be ready to eat. You may add salt to your taste if needed.