Filled with fresh spinach, ricotta, mozzarella, and beef, these Lasagna Rolls are easy to make and so very delicious! I like how easy they are to serve and how easy it is to divide them up for to-go lunches. Not only do they look incredible, but they also taste incredible, too!
Pasta, cheese, and tomato sauce: these three ingredients can combine in maybe a million ways to make family favorite dishes. Just a couple that I can think of off the top of my head would be ravioli, creamy ricotta pasta, cheesy pasta skillets, and my personal favorite, lasagna! Lasagna in its traditional form is a heavenly combination of lasagna noodles, ground beef, tomatoes, garlic, and sometimes, even mushrooms. Also, our favorite Italian seasoning combinations like rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil, parsley, and sage.
So, why spinach lasagna roll ups?
In the creation of this recipe, I was having fun with different versions of lasagna: and these rolls is one of the easiest way to serve lasagna. Instead of having a large, messy dish with every serving falling apart, these rolls are uniform and require no cutting or separation into serving sizes. If you’re reheating them, it’s easy to just effortlessly scoop out one roll and stick it in the oven or microwave for a bit.
You might have tried my roll cake recipes, but making a roll recipe with something savory was a first. Classic lasagna was looking like it could use a bit of freshening, so I rolled it up! It has spinach (a great way to incorporate it for your kids), which helps to reduce inflammation and fights carcinogenic substances. Onions help to reduce cholesterol levels and beef is a great source of lean protein!
Putting together this recipe doesn’t require lots of preparation or practice. You can buy a rich tomato sauce at your local grocery store and the two types of cheese here are easy to come by, too. With a bake time of 30 minutes, the entire family will be enjoying these savory roll-ups and asking for more. Some garlic bread on the side, and you’ve got yourself a classic Italian inspired dinner!
What is the best part of the lasagna?
Best part, you say? Let’s look at all of the layers in this great recipe. You’ve got your al dente noodles: a classic base. Spinach? A great addition of greens. The ricotta mixture is out of this world for sure. Maybe the meat? It’s undeniably flavorful, but so is the tomato sauce! I don’t know about you, but I can’t just pick a single layer to love above the other layers. in this easy recipe. I think the dish as a whole: with the savory tomatoes, salty cheese, and classic pasta lasagna sheets is what really makes the whole family enjoy this spinach lasagna roll-ups recipe.
What’s in Lasagna Rolls?
This delicious recipe is a step-up from the traditional lasagna form. These spinach lasagna rolls require mostly pantry-staple ingredients. You’ll likely need to make a run to the grocery store for the cheeses and maybe some fresh spinach, but that’s it!
Here’s everything you’ll need to make these great spinach lasagna rolls:
- Oil: Olive oil, or any oil that you like to use.
- Regular lasagna noodles: Cook lasagna noodles according to the package directions.
- Ground beef: Lean
- Onion: Yellow
- Cheese mixture: Mozzarella cheese and ricotta cheese.
- Egg: Just one large one
- Spinach: Use fresh spinach
- Salt and pepper: For flavor
Marinara sauce: You can make your own if you prefer, but store-bought pasta sauce works just great.
Another great thing about this recipe is that you can prepare the full recipe, then freeze some and bake later on. It may seem pretty time consuming the first time you make these, just like any lasagna, but once you’ve made them a few times, the process will become more familiar, and much quicker!
Do you love Italian food? Enjoy these delicious Italian recipes:
You can make this restaurant-style Easy Homemade Zuppa Toscana Soup with Kale!
This Easy Pasta Carbonara Recipe with Pancetta is delicious and classic.
Easy Lasagna Rolls with Spinach and Ricotta Cheese
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 package lasagna noodles, cooked & drained
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup ricotta
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, + 1 extra cup for the top, shredded
- 1 large egg
- 3 oz fresh spinach, chopped
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- Boil the lasagna noodles by following the directions on the box.
- In a pan on medium heat, add 1 Tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.
- Sauté 1 pound of ground beef for 3 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper. Stir occasionally.
- Chop 1/2 of an onion and add to the beef. Sauté for another minutes.
- Add in 3 ounces of chopped spinach, sauté for 2 minutes. Once done, set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile in a separate bowl combine the ricotta, mozzarella cheeses, egg, as well as a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir well, then add to the skillet and combine with the beef and spinach.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Prepare an oven safe dish for lasagna, by spreading 1/2 cup marinara sauce on the bottom.
- On each cooked lasagna noodle spread beef mixture.
- Roll it up and place in an oven safe dish (you could also cut each roll in half).
- Spread marinara sauce on top of the lasagna rolls. Sprinkle 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Take off foil and bake for another 5 minutes. (I broil the last 2 minutes to get that darker color on top.)