This flavorful Korean coleslaw recipe is perfect to serve as a side, topping, or even on its own as a light lunch! Enjoy the kimchi-like flavors of this cabbage salad within a few short minutes!
Table of Contents
Why I Love Korean Coleslaw
If you enjoy browsing Pinterest for recipes, you’ve probably seen plenty of cabbage salad recipes, each one claiming to be better than the other. My favorite version tends to include some variation of Korean kimchi – a traditional Korean side dish made of fermented vegetable and Korean spice.
While I love kimchi, when I get craving I simply can’t wait a few days for it to properly ferment! My solution was to come up with this Koran-inspired coleslaw dish that has all the makings of kimchi, including the vinegar-based dressing, but take a fraction of the time!
This simple coleslaw is comprised of cabbage, green onions, and garlic, and is then tossed with a delicious soy sauce and sesame seed dressing. Each ingredient plays an important role in this recipe and sings a beautiful harmony of flavors!
How To Enjoy Korean Slaw
- Eat right from the bowl: I mean, that’s the obvious answer, right? It’s flavorful and makes for a great snack.
- Add protein: Make the cabbage salad a complete meal by adding a protein! Flank steak or pork belly would be great on this coleslaw!
- Top your burgers: Skip the boring lettuce and add a generous pile of this cabbage salad on your burger patty. It will take your burger above and beyond!
- Add in tacos: Homemade tacos can easily be elevated by adding this Korean style cabbage salad. It goes really well with chicken or beef.
Key Ingredients to Make This Korean Coleslaw
- Cabbage – shredded
- Green onions/Scallions – chopped
- Garlic – minced
Korean Cabbage Salad Dressing
- Agave – honey or sugar works too
- Red pepper
- Soy sauce
- Vegetable oil
- Sesame seeds
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
How To Make Korean Cabbage Salad and Dressing
Step 1: Combine Salad Ingredients
Combine the cabbage, scallions, and garlic in a large bowl.
Step 2: Mix Korean Cabbage Dressing
Prepare the dressing by mixing vinegar, salt, agave (or sugar), ground red pepper, soy sauce, olive oil, and sesame seeds in a small bowl. Pour it over the salad mixture and combine well.
Step 3: Let Stand + Enjoy
Cover the slaw and let it stand in the fridge for 20 minutes before mixing it again. Transfer the slaw to a salad bowl and sprinkle with more sesame seeds if desired. Enjoy!
FAQs + Tips
The consistent ingredient in coleslaw is raw cabbage, but beyond that you can sort of create your own recipe. You can include additional crunchy veggies like shredded carrots and brussels sprouts, or play around with the type of sauce you prefer.
You can use any type of cabbage in this recipe, but napa cabbage is a personal favorite. It’s also one of the most commonly used cabbages to make kimchi or to use as a wrap.
- Serve your coleslaw as a light and refreshing side to a Chicken and Avocado Wrap.
- A Reuben Sandwich with Thousand Island Dressing would be the perfect protien-rich side that pairs perfectly with coleslaw.
- Fish Tacos would be amazing alongside this dish, or go ahead and put some coleslaw in the taco itself!
- When I think of coleslaw, I think of grilling, so next time you’re having Grilled Lamb Kebabs consider serving them with this Korean-inspired cabbage dish.
More Cabbage Recipes To Try
- Quick Cabbage Side Salad with Corn and Peas
- Green Cabbage and Cucumber Salad
- How to Make Piroshki with Cabbage
- Easy Russian Chicken and Cabbage Rolls
Other Tasty Cabbage Recipes to Make
If you tried this Korean Coleslaw Salad with Easy Dressing or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you enjoyed it in the📝 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Korean Coleslaw Salad with Easy Dressing
- 1 small head cabbage, shredded
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
For the dressing:
- 1 Tbsp vinegar
- ½ Tbsp salt
- ½ Tbsp agave, honey or sugar works too
- ½ tsp ground red pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
Combine cabbage, scallions, and garlic in a bowl.1 small head cabbage,, 3 scallions,, 3 cloves garlic,
Prepare the dressing sauce by mixing vinegar, salt, agave, ground red pepper, soy sauce, olive oil, and sesame seeds. Add to the salad and mix well.1 Tbsp vinegar, ½ Tbsp salt, ½ Tbsp agave,, ½ tsp ground red pepper, 1 Tbsp olive oil, 1 Tbsp soy sauce, 2 tsp sesame seeds
Cover and let it stand in the fridge for 20 minutes, then mix again, your salad will be ready for you to enjoy! Transfer into a salad bowl and serve. Sprinkle with more sesame seeds if desired.
- Agave can be substituted to sugar or honey.
- Add salt to taste.