Easy Simple Shakshuka Recipe
An Easy Shakshuka Recipe makes the perfect breakfast, lunch or dinner recipe. The simple ingredients always please!
Table of Contents
Shakshuka is the perfect breakfast recipe
If you are looking for a recipe that is both visually stunning and extremely flavorful, this is the one for you. This amazing shakshuka starts off with onions, red bell pepper, garlic, and warm spices. I add in tomatoes and finally the large eggs. Once everything is cooked perfectly, I add in extra spices to make a spicy tomato sauce.
Putting together a perfect breakfast has some requirements. You need protein to start the day, and vegetables to give you necessary vitamins. This easy shakshuka recipe fulfills all of the requirements that are needed for a well-rounded breakfast.
Red pepper is one of the most important ingredients in this healthy meal. You’ll need one pepper.
Onion adds a flavor base you can’t miss. It elevates any simple dish.
You’ll need olive oil for the sautéed onions and red pepper.
Chopped tomatoes are rich in lycopene and vitamin C, making this perfect recipe nutritious.
Fresh garlic fights inflammation and makes this great recipe so rich in flavor.
Paprika and red pepper flakes add in spice to the rich tomato sauce.
Fresh eggs are great choice for protein in any delicious dish. They’re very accessible in any grocery store and easy to cook for any quick meal!
Fresh parsley adds a nice addition of fresh herbs for the top once you’re done cooking.
See recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How to make an Easy Simple Shakshuka Recipe
Step 1: Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a cast iron skillet. Add the onions and peppers. Cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables have softened, about 2 minutes.
Step 2: Add garlic, spices, a pinch of salt, and pepper. Stir and cook for 1 more minute.
Step 3: Add the tomatoes and stir. Cover and let simmer for about 7 minutes on low heat. Taste and adjust the seasoning to your liking.
Step 4: Using a wooden spoon, make 4 “wells” in the tomato mixture. Gently crack an egg into each one.
Step 5: Cover the skillet and cook on low until the egg whites are set but yolks are still runny. This will take about 5 min.
Step 6: You can add more black pepper or crushed red pepper if you like. Serve with bread and chopped parsley.
- Using fresh ingredients from the grocery store or farmer’s market greatly impacts the flavor of the dish. Opt for fresh tomatoes over canned ones.
- Shakshuka is all about perfectly cooked eggs, so make sure to keep an eye on them while they cook. Remove the skillet from the heat as soon as the egg whites are set, but the yolks are still runny.
Substitutions & Variations
There is many variations of shakshuka out there. Lots of these recipes call themselves “the ultimate classic North African dish of eggs”.
But the reality is, there are so many alternatives to make this dish your own. While you can make it someone else’s way, I like to say that you can make it your own. If you like lots of feta cheese on top, artichoke hearts in it, or any more additions of fresh vegetables, I don’t mind at all if you make it your own version. There are so many different ways of making it!
Shakshuka originates in North Africa, specifically the Libyan-Tusinian region.
You can eat shakshuka with pita bread on the side, using it to dip and enjoy the tomato pepper sauce.
The eggs in shakshuka cook for about 5 minutes so that the egg whites set and the yolks are still runny.
Any large skillet works for shakshuka. I prefer to use my cast iron pan.
Other Tasty Recipes you’ll Love…
An Easy Healthy Cabbage Cilantro Slaw Recipe is a delicious and fresh side salad.
If you’re a soup lover, this Green Herb Soup with Sorrel is the perfect lunch for you!You can make Fish Tacos with an Easy Spicy Dipping Sauce for a fresh meal.
More Tomato Recipes to Try
If you tried this Simple Shakshuka Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how you go in the 📝 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Easy Simple Shakshuka Recipe
- cast iron skillet
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 28 oz canned tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- 4 eggs
- parsley, chopped for serving
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a cast iron skillet. Add the onions and peppers. Cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables have softened, about 2 minutes.2 Tbsp olive oil, 1 onion,, 1 red pepper,
- Add garlic, spices, a pinch of salt, and pepper. Stir and cook for 1 more minute.2 cloves garlic,, 1 tsp paprika, ½ tsp red pepper flakes,
- Add the tomatoes and stir. Cover and let simmer for about 7 minutes on low heat. Taste and adjust the seasoning to your liking.28 oz canned tomatoes,
- Using a wooden spoon, make 4 "wells" in the tomato mixture. Gently crack an egg into each one.4 eggs
- Cover the skillet, and cook on low until the egg whites are set and the egg yolks are still runny about 5 min.
- You can add more black pepper or crushed red pepper if you like. Serve with bread and chopped parsley.½ tsp red pepper flakes,, parsley,
This was such an easy recipe and so healthy! I made 1/2 a recipe and it worked out great. I will definetly be making this again.