Homemade Russian Crepes (Basic Recipe)
Indulge in a classic breakfast favorite with a twist – Russian Crepes! With their light and airy texture, these Homemade Crepes are perfect for any time of day, whether you’re looking for a satisfying breakfast or a sweet and indulgent dessert.
I love recipes like these crepes that are super versatile. They can be turned into something sweet or savory. The options for toppings here can be as big as your imagination and take you as far as your taste buds will go!
Table of Contents
Eggs: Eggs help to bind all of the ingredients together and add a rich flavor.
Sugar: Just a touch of fine white sugar is added to the batter to add a subtle sweetness.
Unsalted butter: Unsalted butter adds richness and a great buttery consistency to these crepes once they’re cooked.
Milk: A key liquid component in the batter, milk adds moisture and richness to these homemade crepes. Use whole milk or 2 %.
Oil: Oil is used to make these easy and basic crepes rich in texture, balancing out the flour and other dry ingredients.
Flour: The main dry ingredient in the batter, flour provides structure and helps to give the crepes their characteristic texture. Use all purpose flour or pastry flour.
Baking powder: Used to leaven the batter and make the crepes light and fluffy.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
How to make Homemade Russian Crepes
In a microwave, melt the butter.
In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs. Add in sugar and continue whisking.
Then add melted butter, 2 cups of milk, oil, and baking powder.
Whisk all together well. Then continue to whisk, and add in the flour, ½ cup at a time.
Add in 2 more cups of milk and mix all together well. Batter should be runny.
Heat up a crepe pan on medium-high heat. (You can use another flat nonstick skillet if you don’t have a crepe pan.)
Using a ladle, add batter to the pan. Turn the pan to spread the batter all around. Each crepe will heat up quickly, so work fast.
Step 9: As soon as the crepe begins to turn golden, flip it over and continue cooking until both sides are golden brown. Each side should take 30-60 seconds.
Repeat until all the batter is used up.
- For easy mixing, use a blender and combine all ingredients together.
- If the batter is clumpy pour it through a strainer into a medium size bowl.
- For best results, use a nonstick pan to cook the crepes. This will help prevent sticking and ensure that the crepes cook evenly.
- If you find that the batter comes out too thick, simply add a splash of milk until it reaches the runny consistency, nice and thin.
- Make sure the crepe pan is hot before adding batter to it.
- To prevent crepes from sticking to the pan, melt butter on the hot pan before adding batter.
Crepes can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply place them in the microwave for 10-15 seconds or heat them in a nonstick pan over low heat until warmed through.
Yes, you can make the batter up to 24 hours ahead of time. Store it covered in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to cook the crepes, simply give the batter a quick whisk.
More Crepe Recipes To Enjoy
Crepes are one of my family’s favorite breakfast. I have a few crepe recipes on my site that were shared with me over the years, and that I my self make on a regular bases. One recipe that goes way back is my mom’s go to crepe recipe filled with chicken, another was shared from another family member and this truly easy crepe recipe is so easy that my children make the batter for me. My sister shared with me this farmer’s cheese filled crepe recipe and it’s always a hit with guests, especially when pairing them with homemade easy jam.
Try these homemade tasty jam recipes to enjoy with crepes
If you tried this Chili Garlic Shrimp Stir Fry or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and leave your 📝 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Homemade Russian Crepes (Basic Recipe)
- 5 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 cups milk
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 3 cups flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- In a microwave, melt 2 Tablespoons of unsalted butter.2 tbsp unsalted butter
- In a separate bowl whisk together 5 large eggs. Add in 2 Tablespoons sugar and continue whisking.5 large eggs, 2 Tbsp sugar
- Then add 2 Tablespoons melted butter, 2 cups of milk, 1 Tablespoon of oil and ¼ teaspoons of baking powder.2 tbsp unsalted butter, 4 cups milk, 1 Tbsp oil, ¼ tsp baking powder
- Whisk all together well.
- Continue to whisk, add in 3 cups of flour (½ cup at a time).3 cups flour
- Add in 2 more cups of milk and mix all together well. Batter should be runny.4 cups milk
- Heat up a crepe pan on medium-high heat.
- Using a ladle, add batter to the pan, and turning the pan to spread the batter all around. Crepes will heat up quickly, so work fast.
- As soon as the crepe begins to turn golden, flip over and continue cooking until both sides are golden brow. Each side should take 30-60 seconds.
- Repeat until all the batter is used up.
- make sure the pan has heated up before pouring the batter.
- the batter should be running, if it’s not add water or milk.