I love recipes that are versatile. Recipes that can be turned into something sweet or savory. And these crepes are just that. Super-versatile. Super delicious. Sweet. Savory. And everything in between.
If you’ve never made these yummy crepes at home before, don’t worry. This is an easy-to-follow recipe that you’ll reach for over and over. It’s the only crepe recipe you need, really. And the best part? There are only 7 ingredients that go into it.
What are crepes?
Essentially, crepes are ultra-thin French/Russian pancakes. They’re as delicate and paper-thin as lace with perfectly browned, crisp edges. They differ from pancakes because they usually aren’t made with any leavening agents.
But I’ve added a pinch of baking powder. Hear me out. I know this defies the rule of crepes but adding just a hint, and I really do mean a hint, of leavener gives these crepes a little oomph. You can totally skip it if you’re wanting super-thin crepes, but I like a little fluff in mine. Not like pancakes, but just a little something for my fork to dig into.
Crepes are the perfect classy breakfast/brunch food. You could fill them or top them. Serve them with fresh, whipped cream, berries, or Nutella for a classic sweet treat. Or turn them into a savory dish that’s filled with fresh vegetables or meat. Remember when I mentioned how versatile these were? I wasn’t kidding.
I hope you try making these easy crepes at home. It’s the perfect addition to your next Sunday brunch!
How to make my All Time Favorite Crepes
Homemade Basic Crepes Recipe (Russian Pancakes)
- 5 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 cups milk
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 3 cups flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- In a microwave, melt 2 Tablespoons of unsalted butter.
- In a separate bowl whisk together 5 large eggs. Add in 2 Tablespoons sugar and continue whisking.
- Then add 2 Tablespoons melted butter, 2 cups of milk, 1 Tablespoon of oil and ¼ teaspoons of baking powder.
- Whisk all together well.
- Continue to whisk, add in 3 cups of flour (½ cup at a time).
- Add in 2 more cups of milk and mix all together well. Batter should be runny.
- Heat up a crepe pan on medium-high heat.
- Using a ladle, add batter to the pan, and turning the pan to spread the batter all around. Crepes will heat up quickly, so work fast.
- As soon as the crepe begins to turn golden, flip over and continue cooking until both sides are golden brow. Each side should take 30-60 seconds.
- Repeat until all the batter is used up. Enjoy!